Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Recommendations Needed for an Incidence Meter

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Recommendations Needed for an Incidence Meter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:23 AM
EGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations Needed for an Incidence Meter

Anybody have a recommendation or experience with incidence meters for our smaller planes? I am looking to finally purchase this tool but wonder if models like the Robart Incidence Meter are too large, heavy, etc.

Thanks,

EGB
Old 03-11-2004, 11:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations Needed for an Incidence Meter

HI EGB! The ROBART meter is just fine, but I don't bother with it very much . I still prefer to take measurements off the table top on planes where everything is to be set up zero-zero. To adapt the meter to a small surface you might have to get creative, otherwise you can use a cheap see through plastic protractor to get close enough [for the planes I go out with].
Old 03-11-2004, 05:48 PM
nekked_man_2000

I built my own from an old rcm magazine out of a yardstick, works great on these little planes. I set everything to 0/0/0 so I didn't bother with anything to measure degrees. The nice thing is, building it yourself you can make it as accurate as you like, the first one I built I didn't spend enough time in cutting the pieces and had to use a little masking tape to tru it up. I set it on a wing, level it, then turn it around if it doesn't read the same both ways, it needs some adjustment. I gave the first one to my dad, now I have the parts cut for another, this one I'm taking a little more time to get it just right and I'm in no hurry. It works good enough for me. I think taking the time to set one up on your building table and taking lots of measurements is probably the most accurate way/probably the most difficult way/ and I have done that on a few projects, but I've been very happy with the homemade job for .65 cents.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
EGB

Could you provide a sketch for making the yardstick incidence meter you are referring to?

EGB
Old 03-17-2004, 07:07 PM
nekked_man_2000

I'll scan the ariticle and post it, so you can read it yourself. I'd take some pictures, but the first one I built is at my dads house, and the second one, well so far all I've done is cut out the pieces for it. Try to do it Thursday or Friday, still gotta dig out the Bugs ear and scan it for someone also, I'll try to get it all done, we are having beautiful weather, makes it tough to get any of this inside stuff done.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:28 PM
nekked_man_2000

Ok, let's see if this worked. Good, it did. It may look a little cheesy, but it is as good/accurate as you build it. That's why I'm building a second one, I learned a few tricks on the first one. It could be made smaller for smaller models too, but this works ok, because it doesn't weigh a lot. I've never convinced myself that the ones you buy would be any more accurate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36043.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	114032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11939.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	114033  
Old 03-22-2004, 02:48 PM
EGB

Excellent.

Thanks,

EGB
Old 03-23-2004, 12:23 AM
zoomzoooie

If you wanted more accuracy with that type if set up you can use a 360 degree incidence meter. It's small and has 360 degrees and a needle like Robart's incidence finder in a 90 degree square housing. You should be able to find them at the builders stores like Home Depot or the likes.
That's what I use.

ZZ