Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

OK All You Closet Ukie Boys...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OK All You Closet Ukie Boys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 08:41 PM
hotdogx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK All You Closet Ukie Boys...

Since LWR seems to be bringing some of the ukie fliers out of the closet , I thought I'd come out too. Here's a pic of my Giles 202 ukie design that I did quite a few years ago. It uses the good ol' Cox Tee Dee .049 (don't ya just love it DB?!). 28" span and a 1/8" sheet balsa wing, ala the many Dick Sarpolus designs. It's a bit hot on 35' lines, uses up a lot of the hemisphere doing a loop. I think it would do better on 40' lines, or if I added flaps it would be OK on the 35' lines. I still drag the ukies out on occasion. Hey, it's modeling and it's fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72408.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	110817  
Old 03-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: OK All You Closet Ukie Boys...

Al,
Nice!
I don't think I've flown a CL since I bashed my Fox .36x powered Sterling P-51 into the pavement, in '67.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:33 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like CL a lot, and I wish I did more of it... hopefully will remedy that this summer. I have big plans to form a small CL club here with my student model builders... we started last summer but ran out of time. WInter's we build only (too cold for flying) so during the summer I want to get them all flying CL.

Its fun on the cheap!

AJC

EDIT- here is a plane I built when I was 13 or so, designed by one of the fellows that used to help me when I was a kid. I still have it and fly it some times... its HOT!

Name:	Vs55728.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	110840  
Old 03-12-2004, 11:08 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al, that is great looking! You put a lot more care into that one than most people put into a half-a profile ukie. I alway have liked the Sarpolus designs.......

Here is my 1/4 and 1/8" sheet balsa CL stunter powered by a TeeDee. Does not do square loops very well, but it does everything else quite nicely on 35 footers....[8D]

Name:	Us54230.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	110871  
Old 03-12-2004, 11:50 PM
hotdogx

Jeremy,

Thanks! Yours looks really sharp! A Caudron I presume? I should have guessed you would have done some 1/2A ukies after seeing your other stuff. It's a darn good thing we don't live close to each other - with your stuff keeping me enthused I might never get anything done but working on models, ha! These little ukies are a lot of fun. When I was in my teens I had a ball flying a Baby Flite Streak to which I added flaps. Flew it on a Golden Bee .049 and Goldberg string controlines. It would do overhead 8's. I used to lay on my back in the middle of the circle and fly the overhead 8's - a trick I learned from my Dad who used to fly a Nobler. Shoot, I might build another Baby Flite Streak with flaps one of these days (like I NEED another project!).
Old 03-13-2004, 06:36 AM
DICKEYBIRD

OK, out of the closet this one comes. It's one bad son of a gun! Brian Pate & I designed and built several variations of these, years ago and called 'em "Czech-Mate's." I say designed, respectfully plagiarized is more like it. They were inspired by the article in M.A. on Russian/Czech FAI combat planes back in the 80's. That article is what got me back into u/c hot & heavy for a while! I'm no combat ace and the one shown has never pulled a streamer but man was it fun! It'll do the darndest little 8's and loops of any u/c plane I've ever flown and is dang fast.

This particular variation was the last one I built and is 174 sq. in and weighs 5.5 oz. incl. the heavy metal reedie backplate with the heavy Galbreath/Nelson plug adaptor. It has a foam L.E. covered with Silkspan and thinned aliphatic glue; the rest is balsa & MonoKote. The engine is the best reedie I ever came up with and would howl away at 21000 rpm for the entire tank, steady as a rock no matter how hard you turned the airplane on it's 5x3 black (well I admit it was depitched a little!) We kept making them slightly bigger and I always wanted to do one more with over 200 sq. in with a thicker airfoil to slow it down for sport flying but then I drove over to Little Rock to my 1st S.M.A.L.L. and u/c was suddenly over! I must admit, however, that I'm building a ukie right now and will post it when it's finished.

Al, that Giles is way cool and ya gotta love a nice, solid Tee Dee for a consistent flying ukie!

Name:	Rp43182.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	110934  
Old 03-13-2004, 09:02 AM
hotdogx

DB,

That thing is cool! Looks like a handful. Much like you, I got fired up about 1/2A combat and built six Half-Lite combat ukies (a Larry Driskill design). They flew well, but I never could find anyone to fly with, so I finally gave all six away! Hmmm, with the current light weight radio stuff, one of these would be fun as an RC!