Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/A delta wing questions

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/A delta wing questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Big_3Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/A delta wing questions

Hello everyone!

Right now i'm laying out a flying delta wing, Similar to a dimond dust . It has a 24 inch inch wingspan, right now it's at 11 inches at the root chord and 3 1/2 inches at the tip. I'm really no expert designing so I ask if this dimensions sound ok for now. Another thing is I haven't chosen an afirfoi for it yet, I have come up with a symetrical bell 540 that looks like it would be nice since it looks thick enough at 10 inches root chord to fit everything nicely inside of what would be the fuse of the wing. I know thicker airfoils are more draggy and delta wings are even more draggy but i'm not concentrated on very high speed right now.. something more on the line of nice speed but also stable flight. I'm also thinking bout using twin fixed fins no rudder just ail/elev mix. For the engine i will be using the reedy on my little (dead) pylon plane only as lets sat for testing of the wing, if it's succesful i'll throw in a 061 throtled well guys shoot with the sugstions!!

Dan
Old 03-16-2004, 08:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1/A delta wing questions

HI BIG 3DAN! I designed something almost identical to what you are describing about 8 years ago. It is quite fast with the thick wing, and a good plane. If you are interested I will send the plans out for $5. I also have plans for a 1/2A DIAMOND DUST that is also a good flyer but more work to build. What you have described will fly well if you can keep the weight to 12 or 13 ozs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72801.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	112213  
Old 03-17-2004, 01:21 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 1/A delta wing questions

That's only about 150 sq inches of area. If you can keep it light, like the 12 or so ounces CP reffered to, it should do well. But frankly an 11 inch chord on a 24 inch span is not much of a delta, more like a highly tapered flying wing. For a truer delta I think you should be up to closer to a 15 to 16 inch root or even as high as an 18 inch root chord. To me a proper delta should have the leading edges swept back at least to a 40 degree angle and even more is actually closer to a "proper" delta. Much less than 40 degrees and it's a flying wing in my book. Of course this is a personal requirement so take it for what it's worth.