Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Servo mounting - anyone use the rubber gromets?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Servo mounting - anyone use the rubber gromets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servo mounting - anyone use the rubber gromets?

Hello All, I was just wondering. Does any one really use the rubber gromets when they mount servos in 1/2 A planes. I've done it both way's and haven't really had a problem when I omit the gromets. I do this to save weight. What has your experience been? Am I asking for trouble by omiting the gromets? What do you do for servo mounting/ vibration isolation?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo mounting - anyone use the rubber gromets?

I did use them, but lately I've been using double sided tape and ca glue the tape to balsa. This has held up better than plywood servo rails for me and you can place your servo anywhere you want very easily.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:48 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lynn, Does the tape adhesive interfere with the ca's bonding ability?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Lynn S

No, I guess the tape adhesive has no effect, it is on solid...there is no way the servo is going to come off by itself.

I clean the servo with some alcohol and a cotton ball, then use 3M mounting tape (squares) and stick one side to the servo(with no ca), then place 5 drops of ca on the other side and press into place against the balsa.
You will have to use a knife blade to split the tape to get the servo off.
I'm not sure who told me about using ca, but I think it was Bipeflyer

It sure makes quick work of mounting servos.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the grometts and brass inserts on my servos, both in gas and electric. I like to be able to take them out easily when a problem arises, stripped gears and the like
Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the grommets and brass eyelets -- probably more from habit than anything else. I like being able to easily remove the servos and any looseness is easily seen. I've never used the tape, but it seems to be preferred by many.

the "other" Andrew
Old 03-17-2004, 10:41 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: Lynn S

No, I guess the tape adhesive has no effect, it is on solid...there is no way the servo is going to come off by itself.

I clean the servo with some alcohol and a cotton ball, then use 3M mounting tape (squares) and stick one side to the servo(with no ca), then place 5 drops of ca on the other side and press into place against the balsa.
You will have to use a knife blade to split the tape to get the servo off.
I'm not sure who told me about using ca, but I think it was Bipeflyer

It sure makes quick work of mounting servos.

i use the same method...except i wrap the servo with tape first,then stick the foam tape to that...that foam stuff is hard to get off servo case...cut the tape that's wraped around the servo and your home free

john
Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never used the foam tape for servo mounting but we use a lot of it at work. DO use the clear tape around the servo first. After a season on there the foam tape can be Hell incarnate to get off.

Otherwise I always use the grommets in any engine powered model. And for electrics and gliders it's just easier to leave the bits in there and use them as well. Even a 1/2 A engine has a nasty buzz. In fact it's possible that due to the often lighter nature of the model and the higher frequency the possibility of damage is even higher. Didn't someone here that used to race 1/2A pylon say his gears used to melt from the vibration induced friction?