Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

My second Ace Simple kit build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My second Ace Simple kit build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My second Ace Simple kit build

This is my second attempt at a Ace Simple plane and so far it has really been a good kit to work with.I think I'm over the hump now and have the fuse just about finished.... adding the tail feathers and getting the wing ready to cover is the next step.
The balsa is a lot lighter than in my Extra kit I built last year... the fuse turned out very light and strong. I like the way Fred Reese designed planes with a minimum number of parts. The cross planking on the rear top and bottom and front top took more time than anything else but it makes a very rigid box.
I have a new AP .061 to mount on the nose, so it should have enough power.
I know this is not a real scale model P-51, but its close enough for me. If this one turns out ok, I'll have to build the Me-109 to go with it.

Here is the fuse as it looks so far, I should have some more pictures over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40034.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	112887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69607.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	112888  
Old 03-18-2004, 08:41 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My second Ace Simple kit build

Cool Lynn, I never have finished my Simple 230, I put it aside when I figured out it wasnt gonna be a good idea to go from a park flyer to a mid wing glow plane,,and I plan on getting some stick time on a couple of planes before I finish it up to fly....I want to go through a plane or 2 that I dont care about cause I was really trying to make the 230 a looker..keep us posted....Rog
Old 03-18-2004, 08:53 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All:

I bui;t a Simple Extra afew years ago, and I wanted a rocket. Powered it with a Cox 09 RC engine, and made it full four channel.

To be certain it was strong enough I put CF strips on the top and bottom of the wing, and sheeted the wing with 1/32 balsa. Then Monokote over everything.

Heavy.

My rocket was a dog.

Gave it to my son, I don't think he has ever tried to fly it. Just as well.

Bill.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Lynn S

Rog,
I made so many mistakes with my Extra, I can't really tell how it should have flown. It looked so good at first, but with an upside down wing it was pretty well doomed for any success at first anyway. One problem I had but didn't realize at the time was the plywood servo tray was loose when I tried to fly it with the .074. I guess it came loose from all the bashing into the ground at first. It looked fine when I opened the hatch on the bottom, but would flop down when the plane was turned upright. No wonder it didn't want to fly.I didn't notice that until I changed it over to a low wing plane. Now I just use doublesided tape and ca glue the servos in place....no chance that they will come loose.
What engine are you using on your Extra? Unless you can really build it light, the Black Widow will be very marginal. I kinda think the BW may do better if the wing is cut down some...to around 32 inches...after seeing what a difference a smaller wing made for my little electric powered plane.
thanks, Lynn
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Lynn S

Bill,
I think there is a limit of about 18 ozs for that wing. anything over that and it will be a real dog. I think my Extra was probably over 20 ozs.
I hope my P-51 can come in at 18 oz or less.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:50 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember you trying a blackwidow on yours and saying it would go well, not really sure yet what I'll go with I do have a .074 but I'm not near that stage yet...thanks for the tips though..Rog
Old 03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Lynn S

Rog,
The last time I flew it with the BW it was on the verge of a stall most of the time...BUT...my plane was heavy. If you can keep it light(18 oz or under) it will fly OK with a BW but will not be a hotrod. I can say it had a great glide when the engine ran out of fuel. I had better luck with the BW than the .074 but the reason was the loose servo tray with the .074.
Go ahead and finish yours and use the BW if you want. One thing about the BW, you don't need the extra servo for throttle and it is truly a "Simple" plane.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

I built the Ace Corsair. I powered it with an OS 15FP and 4 Hitec HS-81 servos. It flew great with that engine, very fast and groovey. The trouble came when it was time to land. The glide speed at 26 oz was fast as well. It would stall without warning at what looked like a normal glide speed and snap to the right. I gave up flying it because it was no fun to keep repairing it after every "arrival". It now hangs in the Tech Ed classroom at the school where I teach. If I were to build another, I'd use a Norvel 074 and skip rudder control. I'm now building the HOB AT-6 and putting the OS 15 in that. With a 44" span it weighs only 6 oz more than the Corsair but has 60% more wing area. It should fly well. I was very pleased with the quality of wood and the kit. True, it is an older design and doesn't "fall" together like some of the newer designs but it is not a difficult build. I'll post photos when it's finished.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Name:	Ca80968.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	113103  
Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 PM
nekked_man_2000

The HOB T-6 is a good plane, flew mine with a .25GP Magnum and full size radio gear. A little heavy that way, but a good flyer, but it had a Nasty snap if you get it too slow, you may not have that problem as light as yours is, mine was at least 3.5 pounds, maybe more. Fun to fly, just had to land it fast. I still have it, but had an altercation with a tree, and only half of the wing survived, but the body is still in 1 piece, will rebuild someday.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Lynn S

Has anyone ever tried gluing a 1 inch trailing edge to the wing then covering? That would add aprox. 32 sq inches to the wing and give the wing around 220 sq inches total.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:50 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes! I built a racing plane two falls ago (in 2002) using the ace tapered wings and I added a 1" trailing edge after I cut off enough to mate it flush. I also layed some carbon tow down the top and bottom and then glassed the entire wing with 3/4 ounce cloth and west system epoxy. VERY strong, stiff and light. The fuse is a box - simple yet it houses the full length tuned pipe that my Rossi 15 FIRE uses. Exhaust exits the rear.

Anyhow, even at close to 2 pounds this thing has a beautifull (allbeit fast) glide and I allways land deadstick to save the prop. Never snapped or stalled it yet and I have many dozens of flights.

Something to think about on those Ace foam wings... easy to add a bit of chord. I have two sets of wings left over, and just have to figure what to make.

here is a pic of the plane, I did have it on here in the fast prop planes forum when I made it.

AJC

Name:	Ig11566.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	113204  
Old 03-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Lynn S

AJ, thanks!
I'm glad to hear that 1 inch works!
I went to the hobby shop and bought some 1 1/4 inch wide trailing edge that I can cut down to 1 inch. I will use the strapping tape on the top and bottom and cover with econokote.
That is a great looking plane, and the wing looks good on it.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:03 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its simple yet flies great. I was a bit surprised even, at how well it glides and I have had a few rough landings in the brushes that didnt even touch the wing... its tough with the glass cloth.

I forget the exact weight but it may even be 2.5 pounds...? I would have to re weigh it. I know its at least 2 pounds minimum, as the Rossi 15 and pipe are not lightweights.

I guess in a plane this small even 1" adds a big percentage of wing area which really helps things...

AJC