Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Rudder throws on a rudder-only model

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Rudder throws on a rudder-only model

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 PM
SERCEFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder throws on a rudder-only model

What is an appropriate rudder throw for a 25" wingspan 5 oz rudder only model? Would 1/4 of an inch on each side be enough?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: Rudder throws on a rudder-only model

That sounds like a good starting point.
What plane do you have?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:55 AM
SERCEFLYER

It's a Guillow Fairchild 24. I'm using a single channel pulse radio that I dissected out of a $30.00 Estes Sky Ranger.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Lynn S

I have one of those. (skyranger) Be careful not to let it get very far away. I think the range is only 150ft, get past that and you will have a free flight.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:27 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're using the scale rudder hinge line normally that much throw would be MORE than enough. But if you're flying it at low speeds like a parkflyer then it's either going to be OK or maybe not enough for any stunts. Good starting point though.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

SERCEFLYER,

Please let us know how it works for you and post some pictures! I've been toying with the idea of doing this as a next project, and I'd really like to know how it works for you. Have you made any modifications to the electronics or charger? What was the weight of the electronics that you took out of the sky ranger? Which sky ranger did you buy? Thanks!

Derek
Old 04-03-2004, 04:35 PM
SERCEFLYER

Ragwing,

I dissected the radio out of an Estes P-40-- I think the radios are the same in all the $30.00 Estes models. The radio consists of a receiver, a battery holder for 3 button cells and a simple electric motor relay. The relay turns the torque rod which connects to the yoke on the rudder. The entire system weighs 1 oz.

There is a natural fit for the radio in the bottom of the Guillows Fairchild 24. So far, there have been some magical moments where design changes seemed to be a natural fit. That's the fun of improvising and slving the hudreds of mini-problems that come up when doing an RC conversion.

I beefed up the wing and made a dihedral brace and a stronger wing saddle. I'm having some problems now hinging the rudder. I first used some silk over-and-under hinges, but they were a bit too siff for the toque rod. I might just use some tape like on the Estes model. We'll see.

I expect the finished model to weigh about 5 oz (covered with tissue and dope). I plan on using a tamed-down Cox 020 Pee Wee with a 6 X 3 prop and Sig 10% fuel (a little extra castor added). A fully wound up Pee Wee would be too much for this model, I think.

So, what do you think? I'm calling this project an "experiment in Guillow's nostalgia." Give it a try-- this might be a practical easy way of doing glow engine micro-RC. Let's see what you come up with.

George
Old 04-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Lynn S

Iron on film like monokote would be better than tape, just put a strip on one side like the tape. Tape may let go if fuel gets on it. I know of one builder who uses the Estes radio with very small electric stick planes with foam wings. He makes the fuse like the Balsa USA Stick, which is made like a crutch with a box on top to hold the wing.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of those radios. Can't get much throw out of the rudder though. Gave $10.00 for it. Anyone want it? Pay the shipping and its yours. Even has new batteries.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 04-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,

Sure I'll take it! I'll send you a PM and we can work out the details.

SERCEFLYER

Sounds like fun. I hadn't thought of just using the radio portion and then glow power, but it sounds like a great idea. I'll be really interested to see how the tamed PeeWee works out. My plan was to use the radio and electric motor from the Staggerwing Sky Ranger in a Super Cub 95 or Aeronca Champ. That might prove to be too much power, as the staggerwing is a 24" bipe, but estes also makes a small 19" model (of course that might prove to be underpowered-I don't know)/ I think it would be a fun project to try, and you really can't beat the price. I like the idea and challenge of improving on the Estes design by utilizing the components in a more appealing, and hopefully lighter model. And rudder only fits the bill when you are trying to keep the weight down.

What are you using for covering? If you are using iron on I'd second Lynn's advice on the strips of covering material. It might work ironing onto tissue, but I have no experience with that. Did you end up using the kit wood for the model, or did you make substitutions with lighter wood?

It will be awhile before I can start on mine (at least after April 30). I really hope that it proves to be a low cost way of turning these smaller Guillows kits into fairly good fliers, for very little money invested.

Derek
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
SERCEFLYER

I experimented with tape today. It works well. Also, I realized that fresh button cell baterries are important-- you need good batteries to produce effective torque on the torque rod. I think this project is going to work. I just need to tissue and dope the structure. I also need to get a hold of some head gaskets for the Cox 020 Pee Wee-- to reduce compression when turning a big prop. Also, I need to break in my engine a bit more with the 6 X 3 prop. The runs are still a bit erratic.

We'll talk more later-- I'll be in Europe for the next 2 weeks. I need to think about these problems. I'll put together a real thread with photos soon.

George