Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:15 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

My GP-07 has been running beautifully right out of the box. If there were any flaws, I don't seem to have them on my plane. What kind of defects were they talking about?

Bob
Old 10-26-2004, 08:46 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found no defects with either the TT .07 nor any of the several Norvel .049, .061 and .074s I have. (Only complaint is the muffler attachment on the .049 & .061 Norvells is a sloght pain, but that is a very small quibble.)

jess
Old 10-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a GP07 and it runs fine, but it doesn't produce the power of a Norvel. It is a little heavy too. The only thing I would consider a design flaw is the needle valve. I broke mine when I over tightened it in an attempt to stop it from leaking. I would prefer an all metal valve assembly that is a little stronger and has a larger fuel nipple. It's funny that they built a chunky little engine with such a dainty needle valve.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:54 AM
JCaste

Bob,

I first saw the GP-07 at a LHS and I was very surprised, as it was the smallest engine I'd ever seen. For some months, I didn't plan to buy a small engine, and when I did, I asked another LHS about it and they said they had that engine some time ago, but they quit selling it (or the dealer stopped selling them, I can't remember) because of "serious design flaws", which they were unable to describe me.
Ok, maybe it's heavier and doesn't deliver as much power, but ithat isn't a "serious design flaw". I think I just got that answer because it was easier for them to make me refuse the 07 and sell me a bigger engine (it's very hard to find engines under .15 size), than simply answering "no, we haven't them". I'm glad yours performs well, and I don't doubt it will do so for a long time.
I just prefered to know of other engines before buying the 07, and as I prefer to have spare power, I've gone Norvel.

The only thing I'm hating of this is the month and a half that's going to take to get my BigMig. Ouch![:@]

Bipe, I'm tired of this problem with Hitec servo screws, I use the rigt tool and no matter how well and how slowly I screw them, their head gets round. I'm afraid to bend or break something with such small engine!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Bipe Flyer

Are you using servo screws to mount the engine? Get some #2 Phillips head screws and pre-drill your engine mount.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:38 PM
raycamel

ORIGINAL: JCaste

Bob,

I first saw the GP-07 at a LHS and I was very surprised, as it was the smallest engine I'd ever seen. For some months, I didn't plan to buy a small engine, and when I did, I asked another LHS about it and they said they had that engine some time ago, but they quit selling it (or the dealer stopped selling them, I can't remember) because of "serious design flaws", which they were unable to describe me.
Ok, maybe it's heavier and doesn't deliver as much power, but ithat isn't a "serious design flaw". I think I just got that answer because it was easier for them to make me refuse the 07 and sell me a bigger engine (it's very hard to find engines under .15 size), than simply answering "no, we haven't them". I'm glad yours performs well, and I don't doubt it will do so for a long time.
I just prefered to know of other engines before buying the 07, and as I prefer to have spare power, I've gone Norvel.

The only thing I'm hating of this is the month and a half that's going to take to get my BigMig. Ouch![:@]

Bipe, I'm tired of this problem with Hitec servo screws, I use the rigt tool and no matter how well and how slowly I screw them, their head gets round. I'm afraid to bend or break something with such small engine!
maybe n*rvel was there design flaw C
Old 10-28-2004, 03:38 AM
JCaste

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Are you using servo screws to mount the engine? Get some #2 Phillips head screws and pre-drill your engine mount.
no, no I don't! Your valve issue reminded me of my constant basttle with Hitec servo screws, you can only use them once. To fix the engine in the motor mount, I prefer to drilll some holes and use inox steel screws and a antislip nut. I used once wood-like screw (with a big thread), and even though I predrilled smaller holes, after several flight sessions the engine started to have too omuch play.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:38 AM
Bipe Flyer

Sorry, I was a little confused. [sm=bananahead.gif]

I've never had any problems using screws to mount these small engines. I use Dave Brown mounts which hold the screws very well.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:28 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a question for McClintock and the www.carlosonengineimports.com site. Explorer is telling me that the site does not exist.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:52 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JCaste,

You're right about the assessment of the GP-07. It doesn't have the power of the Norvel. And in fairness, I had a hard time finding the GP-07. I finally picked one up at the WRAM show.

The GP engine is perfect when you only need a bit of power, not a screamer. That's why I put mine into my TT Scooter (50" wingspan). Perfect match. It originally had the Norvel 074 in there, and I always had to throttle it back. The Scooter could never use all the power that the Scooter had.

I've got my Norvel .074 in a scratch built guilder with about a 72" span now. Again, a perfect match.

I didn't want to say that one engine is better than the other... just that each engine has its own niche.

Yeah, maybe the LHS guy was saying that just to get you to buy the other engine.

Thanks for the update,

Bob
Old 10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Meowy- I must have spelled it wrong or something---
no- just went and checked- it's down for some reason.. no big whup, Mr. Carlson prefers to do everything via phone anyway..
until the site comes back (it's in dire need of updating- let's hope that's what is happening)- here is a better-illustrated site featuring the mpjet excellent engine;

[link=http://www.freeflightmodels.com/pages/carlsonengines/carlson_engine_imports.htm]freeflight about carlson[/link]

Oh don't be too scared, carlson had stock of the engines last time I checked, which wasn't too too long ago..

Let's all hope carlsonengineimports.com comes back soon!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:15 AM
meowy84

Thanks for the correction.....BUT...arrggghh it says that the mpjet engines are not curently available due to the restructuring of the plant or something to that effect.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:42 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

The linked site does not have any mpjet engines, but carlson does- confusing..
Freeflight I think was also selling them or stocking them, and that's the link that currently works, but carlsonengineimports.com, should it come back up- does have stock..

The czech factory was doing them in batches and is now concentrating on electric stuff- to great success it seems- hobbylobby carries the mpjet line of electric stuff.

Here's the contact info for Carlson:
Carlson Engine Imports 814 E. Marconi Ave. Phoenix, Arizona 85022 USA or e-mail at: [email protected]
Phone: 602-863-1684

Calling him is best- you may have to leave a message, but he will call back..
Old 10-31-2004, 01:16 PM
meowy84

Thanks as always.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:25 PM
JCaste

It's now too late to make this question but... Are norvels fuel critical (they work well with most fuels)?
I use 5% Tornado, any experinces with it?