Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Polystrene tanks...U can make em.!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Polystrene tanks...U can make em.!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:28 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Polystrene tanks...U can make em.!

I'm building Roaring 20 MK 2 and needed a VERY small tank for the 020.,so I decided to experiment with some Evergreen plastic sheet and tube. Tank no. 1 was drawn out on .010" sheet,cut out and glued together.Holds about 2/3 oz.,no leaks and looks good.Anyone can make 'em,just draw the pattern on the sheet and cut to shape.Put some flaps on the seams and use plastic kit cement to seal the joints.Just like folding and glueing paper.I used some 040" to reinforce around the filler,vent and pickup tubes.I left a strip of the material in some 25% nitro fuel for a few days , and it had no affect on the material. The Evergreen tube has a small hole up the centre,but it is O.K. for the 020.I guess you could use thicker material,040",for bigger tonks,and just glue all the bits together.In my case the Fuji tank was too big to use in the Roaring 20.You guys are smart enough to figure this out and chop up some styrene sheet and tube.I think the kero in diesel fuel may be doom for plastic tanks,someone should try a strip of polystrene and see if the kero eats it.Build a custom tank in 10 minutes.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Polystrene tanks...U can make em.!

Thanks for sharing that neat trick! I guess the tank tubing could be POLYSTYRENE as well. I think the solvent actually melts the plastic together like a weld. 2 drawn halves with a seam in the middle would be fairly easy to do too.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vauxhall,

You have my curiosity. I am familiar with the Roaring 20 by ken Willard; but what is a Mark 2?

Another possibility for a tank is to slice off a cylinder of Fugi film canister. You would have to do it smoothly to get the lid to seal. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Bob G
Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vauxhal,
Thats a great trick! Man, and to think I have been going to the trouble of brazing up tanks from aluminium sheet... Well, I wouln`t be wasting my time again!
Thanks!

J.M
Old 04-26-2004, 11:49 PM
lwr_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you get your materials?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:36 AM
vauxhall

To answer those few questions....the material came from my LHS,polystrene sheet is ava ilable in assorted thicknesses as is the polystrene tube.I used Revell plastic kit glue.The Mk2 is just my name for my 2nd. Roaring 20.This one will be lighter and better built.The fuji tank is too big in dia meter.Behind the firewall is only 7/8"wide. Polystyrene sheet is used by model railroaders for building bridges,buildings etc.The brand name is Evergreen and is packaged by that company in Woodinville,WA U.S.A
Old 04-27-2004, 06:26 AM
vauxhall

Just checked on Google,they have a website.....Evergreen Scale Models.Some info there on working with polystyrene.I might make a whole plane out of the stuff.Well Cox did! If you used the clear stuff you could see how much fuel is in the tank.