Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hey Lynn tell me about your P-51

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Lynn tell me about your P-51

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:37 AM
gard729774
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Lynn tell me about your P-51

I am building an Ace simple series P-51. Just wondering what you covered it with. I cannot find a low temp silver covering. I would like to know how yours flys. What equipment did you install? I have a Norvel rc .074 and a Hitec micro flight pack. kind of intrested in how fast the plane is. Any tips on building? did you change anything? This is my first small plane so any advice would be great.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Lynn tell me about your P-51

Larry,
Sure, I would be glad to.........I used Coverite, Black Baron film. I ordered it from Tower Hobbies. The local hobby shop didn't have the colors I wanted or the low temp film that you need to cover the foam wing. I like the way the film goes on and it was the first time I have used it. It is around $9 per roll.
The only change I made was to add an extra 3/4 inch trailing edge to the wing. this gave the wing 24 more sq inches of area. The trailing edge stock started out as 1 1/4 inch and I had to trim both sides. I'm not sure how much this helped but I had the same wing on the Extra and it would stall very easily. This wing does not stall easily with the added area. Even with the deadstick landings it requires no change in trim. The plane will land itself.
I balanced the plane 25% back from the leading edge(counting the ailerons) balanced near the fuse.
Be sure to set the throws at the very minimum to start with. My ailerons are set a 1/8 inch up and the same down, elevator is set at 1/4 up and down. If you have dual rates this would be the low rates. I have not tried high rates yet.
It flies like a dream, I would have never thought a small plane could fly this well. (one I built anyway)The only trim needed on the maiden flight was a little down elevator. The AP .061 provies all the speed I need right now, but I'm sure it will have even more speed and vertical performance with a .074.
I'm using two Hobbico CS-12 MG servos for aileron, and elevator, and a micro servo on throttle, small battery pack, 250 mh I think. I didn't have to add any weight to the nose for balance. I flew it where the CG turned out and that was about 1/8 inch behind the 25% mark.
If you have any more questions let me know, you can also send PMs or email.
I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. I had envisioned that this would be hard to fly, and its not a beginners plane, but I was so thrilled when it turned out to fly more like a larger model.
Good luck with your build...Lynn