Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

what is 1/2 A - stupid question

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

what is 1/2 A - stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:58 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is 1/2 A - stupid question

OK. You can all get a good chuckel out of this one. I'm just starting to build, after I type this, a 1/2 A Herr J3 Piper Cub, and I don't know what 1/2 A stands for Could someone fill me in? The engine is smaller. I bought a Norvell .061 for this plane. Thanks!
Joe
Old 05-09-2004, 08:08 PM
jessiej

Default RE: what is 1/2 A - stupid question

Not a stupid question at all.

Model engines are classified according to displacement. These classes are used for competition, records, etc. When size classes were first applied there were no very small engines. The smallest were class A. then came B, C, & D.

Others can and will fill you in on more detail, but when very small engines were produced, "A" had already been used so engines of (I think) .050 cubic inches and smaller were called 1/2 A.

jess
Old 05-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This answer appeared here (or in some magazine, I forget) a year or so back. If I recall correctly, contests in years past were organized by engine size into A, B, C and so forth. The smaller engine category contests were designated ½A.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: DustOffUH1

OK. You can all get a good chuckel out of this one. I'm just starting to build, after I type this, a 1/2 A Herr J3 Piper Cub, and I don't know what 1/2 A stands for Could someone fill me in? The engine is smaller. I bought a Norvell .061 for this plane. Thanks!
Joe
Old 05-09-2004, 08:13 PM
DustOffUH1

Thanks guys! I'm laying the wax paper down now
Old 05-10-2004, 12:30 AM
jessiej

[If I recall correctly, contests in years past were organized by engine size into A, B, C and so forth.]

Still used in events such as C/L speed, free flight, etc.

jess
Old 05-10-2004, 08:03 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally, class "A" was anything below .20 in the US, as I recall. When the .049 engines came out they were referred to as 1/2A. That size became another class, set at below .05. Somehow later the .020 size became known as 1/4A.
Along the way, the US changed "A" to coincide with the FAI class "A" at .15 cu. in. (2.5cc).
I think in Europe 1/2A is up to .10 cu. in. (1.5cc).

Although .061's are loosely referred to as 1/2A, they are too large for official events...but still fun.

Please feel free to correct any of this that is incorrect or has changed.

George
Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I always thought it had something to do with my building skills....1/2A(ss) I just had to throw a little humor to this post.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:45 AM
DustOffUH1

Thanks again for the replies. I won't be entering in any competition, anytime soon
Old 05-11-2004, 08:11 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duane,

Along those lines, old saying:

Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas.

George
Old 05-11-2004, 09:01 PM
stevehord
My Feedback: (1)

Joe,

I posted my thread and then got busy at work and didn't look at again until this morning. You are starting your Herr J3 cub, huh? I've been working on mine for about a month and a half now and am just starting to cover it. I still have to glue the hatch cover above the fuel tank on the top of the fuse, but that is essentially the last building portion. The Herr kit, with the laser cut parts is sure nice to work with. I did find that unless you lightly sand the burnt portions off the parts that CA doesn't stick too well. Other than that this kit is fun to build. Now I'm hoping to have it done by next week and will put it in the air as soon as I can. I found the Grish Tornado props at the following site: http://www.jkaerotech.com/ushop/index.cgi?ID=KBUT97. It is a company in Oregon, in fact I was only able to find a few online RC stores that even carried these props - so I bought a handful of several sizes. If I can get one a snapshot of my plane on a digital camera I'll post it in the 1/2 A Forum - both final assembly and with covering - I'll see what I can come up with.

Have fun building your Herr,
Steve Hord
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

My Herr starcruiser was the best flying little trainer....the 061 carried it around with no problem and it even had great ground handling !! That J-3 cub i would guess is a fine kit also [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-11-2004, 10:35 PM
DustOffUH1

Steve:
Thanks for replying. So far I have the first 4 steps done. Yes the laser cut parts are sweet Actually this is the second kit I'm building, besides 2 micros. My first was the Dare 1903 Wright Flyer. That had laser cut parts too. The mistake I made with that was I didn't sand off the "burnt" side so you can kinda see that through the paper on the wings. But it turned out nice otherwise, I think. My wife said after all that time & work you're going to fly it? I said whats the point otherwise I do honestly have to practice more on my trainer. Anyway, I am sanding all the parts for the cub. Thanks for the link for the prop. I searched on the internet & couldn't find it anywhere. I also couldn't find the muffler extension mentioned in the instructions. So I emailed Norvel, who pointed me to a Sig rep. I asked if I could use fuel tubing instead, and he wrote back, thats exactly what he used for his cub. They don't sell an extension anymore. I was just wondering if it would affect the performance of the engine, but I guess not. Since the Chicago Cubs finally have a good team, and I'm a Cub fan, thats going to be the theme for my Piper Cub. I've never covered with the iron on stuff yet, so I hope it turns out OK. I did a good job with the paper and the dope for my Wright Flyer. I do have a book on covering so that will help. Anyway thanks again for replying. I'll let you know how it goes.
xanaphyst: Thanks for replying too
Joe
Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 PM
encan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one herr piper cub. But when i forgot to turn on the radio gear and hand lunch it i broke some fuselage. Im in the process of repairing. Structure completely repaired. I needed a cowl. the plastic i ordered arrived today i did a couple vacuum forming tests and it turns out perfect. shortly i will make my cowl. Thanks alot BIPE FLYER. After seeing your homemade forming machine i made a small one for my self.

This is a very good flying kit. Ive put the adress to one of my previous thread below. If you go there there is a video of it. You can see how good it glides without power. I used to fly it with a cox black widow that is .049 then your norvel should fly it.

good luck building it.

One tip i had to learn hard way: look in the box carefully and there is a piece of paper. it has corrections on it about the kit that says you need to make small crack on some of the fuselage sides plywood. I had very hard time to glue the fire wall. and after i finished the kit i found that little piece of paper that would have made it very easy.

link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1437903
Old 05-13-2004, 10:57 PM
DustOffUH1

One tip i had to learn hard way: look in the box carefully and there is a piece of paper. it has corrections on it about the kit that says you need to make small crack on some of the fuselage sides plywood. I had very hard time to glue the fire wall. and after i finished the kit i found that little piece of paper that would have made it very easy.
Thanks very much! I did see that. I am one to pay attention to instructions,,, even the "extra" sheets they throw in. I read everything. Those are the most important The down side is, when they don't put those "updates" in the box But so far I have no complaints with the Herr J3 Piper Cub kit. Well maybe they could have added some pictures (none at all). But that's probably because I'm still a beginner kit builder.
Joe