Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Firebat video

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebat video

This is very similar to the norvel powered firebat I did here on RCU. My electric thrust is much higher so the vert is better. Sorry for the poor quality video.
http://amtjim.rchomepage.com/FBX.WMV
Old 06-16-2004, 10:09 PM
fahktidupagen
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Firebat video

thats pretty intense! whats your power setup? i just bought one recently (i firebrick that is) and let me tell ya, it dont fly like that.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:59 AM
tanzanos

[:@]My FIREBAT lasted a good 20 seconds of flight before it decided to lead a moles life. The only thing left are the wings. All else are firmly planted in a field awaiting the rains and hopefully sprout into tiny little firebats. Seriously now this plane SUFFERS from a wrong CG, and underpowered powerplant.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Tweener

It's too bad this plane didn't come with complete and proper set-up instructions in the US. I've built 2. After I couldn't get the first to fly, I did more searching here and on the E-Zone forums which led me to the site of the German designer. It's known as the Foxbat there. The main problem with my first plane was improper aileron neutrals and sloppy hinges. I used it as a testbed to see if I could re-arrange components for a proper CG with no nose weight. My second attempt flies STOCK with one parts mod. I put a long 3/16" pine dowel in place of the nose reinforcement stick and cut the channel for it all the way back to the big round alignment bump / hole in the fuse sides. Construction mods were to sand the entire airframe lightly to remove all the mold air-escape-hole bumps for less drag. I turned around the front servo to avoid doubling the plug lead so that it would reach if I put the receiver behind the battery (a bit of foam was removed to allow the receiver to fit there). This puts the CG right on the money. I put the short push-rod ends at the aileron control horns and attached the collars back there. This made it easier to set up the aileron neutrals because I could hold them in place while tightening the collar set screws, and is the method of construction intended by the designer. I used 3M Scotch brand plastic tape for the hinges for more durability because of the flexing (it's kind of like electrical tape but has a more cellophane tape-like adhesive and it's thinner; comes in various colors - I used white). These I only taped on the top so my hinge gap was much less; just enough to allow the joints to bend down without binding. Foam was removed from the bottom of the hatch and back of the canopy bottom to get them to set flush on the fuse. As I said, the model is stock; I even used two standard Hitec HS-422 servos and a standard Hitec Supreme 8-channel receiver with case. All up weight is 24.7 oz. After setting the canard neutral and control throws as per the instructions, I waited for a calm morning to try it. Imagine my delight when I gave it full throttle and an authoritative throw and watched as it dipped just a bit before leveling off about 3 feet off the ground. It had actually stayed in the air long enough for me to put my launch hand back on the stick and initiate a climb out! Now it doesn't fly like SRA Foam Flyer's, and I would have had a very short flight indeed if I hadn't had plenty of trainer and simulator time. But it does fly, and has an insanely long power-off glide from about 40' altitude. Until I learn to use the canard as a brake, I have to have plenty of approach room (about 70 to 80 yards) to level off at about 2 to 3 feet and wait for the speed to bleed off so I can descend to the ground with a nose up attitude. Anyway I see it's being discontinued on the Tower Hobbies website now. All because Great Planes didn't cover enough important construction points in the manual, and marketed it as a good FIRST plane.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry for the delay, I haven't peeked into this forum in a while. That Firebat in the Video is powered by just a simple GWS EPS350 gear drive(ratio C) and an ETEC 3s lipo. The plane flies at 15 oz, the GWS drive provides 18 oz of thrust! I did a special build for it on EZONE in the foamies section called "Firebat short and final". Unfortunately the standard version of this plane has been discontinued, all that's left is the Deluxe kit. I really don't care for the equipment that comes with that kit, better get one before they disappear. Of all the manufactured foamies I have flown, there's nothing really like it, nothing on the market to replace it.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
iflyatcae

what prop did that use to give it 18 oz of thrust? it goes fast right? i have the firebat and can fly it fine but it struggles a little with the power, would this be a good upgrade?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
experimental_pilot

I got my Firebat from Great Planes. I built it up and since Im a rookie, I had a Veteran flyer take it up first.
The first flight at a small park(not the club park)...It flew fine until it flew into a tree. lol.
He said it didn't have enough power to climb over the trees and it went smack into them.
We fixed it up and tomorrow were going to the club field with lots of space to try it out again.

I have a speed 400 motor, Airtronics radio(standard servos and receiver), 30amp speed control.
Everything else is standard form the kit.(except the new peices of foam which we glued on).

Does anyone know what I could do to get it to perform better?
With minimal cost!

Thanks!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be better off asking this in the parkflyers forum, but I'll answer best I can since it's here. First, remove the white Tamiya-style connectors on the battery and ESC, and replace them with Deans Ultra(or Anderson Power Pole connectors), or better yet, upgrade to an 8-cell KAN 1050 or GP1100 pack with 16AWG leads and Dean's ultra connectors(or Anderson Power Pole connectors), available from cheapbatterypacks.com, among other places. You'll probably want to upgrade the motor as well. A Graupner speed 480 7.2V, a Multiplex Permax 480 7.2V or Permax 450 Turbo would yield more power and still work with your battery and esc. You'd also need a 3.2mm prop adapter and probably an APC 6x4E prop with those. Estimated costs: $15-20 for new battery, $3/set for connectors, $4 prop adapter, $3 for prop, $10 for Permax 480, $25 for graupner 480 or permax 450 turbo. That should get you started.