Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I would like some cheese with my whine... (Or, What To Do When Creativity And Desire Goes Away)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I would like some cheese with my whine... (Or, What To Do When Creativity And Desire Goes Away)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:53 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like some cheese with my whine... (Or, What To Do When Creativity And Desire Goes Away)

I'd like some opinions for my friends here, because you guys never seem to run out of enthusiam and energy.

I've got plenty of projects to do (three of them out on the tables now), and now I'm getting more time to do them (Thank God), but I find myself totally unable to get up and do more than 10 minutes worth of work on anything before plopping down in front of the TV. I've got designs to do, plenty of material, but what do you guys do when the energy level drops off to nothing? I spent a massive (it seemed) day building a Shock-Flyer Super Star last weekend, and got it up to the point of mounting the servos and hooking up linkages, and then I can go fly it. But, I haven't touched it all week. I just can't seem to sit down and mess with it now. I've got several other 1/2A projects to do, and shouldn't take that much time, but I seem to can't get around to them. Not to mention my bigger planes...

So.... What do you guys do when you can't... DO anymore????

phil in austin
Old 06-11-2004, 09:51 AM
jessiej

Default RE: I would like some cheese with my whine... (Or, What To Do When Creativity And Desire Goes Away)

Try tying one arm to your chest. I had major surgery on my right shoulder about a month ago, and find that I now have boundless energy to do all those things I am now unable to do.[]

On the other hand (pun intended) I find that I am able to use great amounts of time typing a couple of lines left handed.

jess
Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: I would like some cheese with my whine... (Or, What To Do When Creativity And Desire Goes Away)

It seems like I hit the wall in the last stages too after covering. I seem to be drained after spending two or three days covering. I just make it a point to finish one job at a time. I may only do one thing such as hinge the ailerons, or mount the servos. It takes a while but finally I'm ready for the test glide.
One thing that helps is to drink LOTS of coffee. (Walmart 100% Colombian will get you going) I'm up to 1am just about every night.
I don't watch tv that much and I can't stand most sports so I don't waste my time in front of the tv.
As I have mentioned before, I'm a slow builder and I don't want to spend a year working on one plane (as I did with a Bud Nosen Big Stick) I like the Simple Series planes because most of the building can be done in a week, then things slow down, but not to the point where I stop.
I'm at the point now where I have done enough plane building(for now anyway) and plan to FLY as much as possible and improve my skills and do more than just bore holes in the air.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:25 AM
kdheath

Bill Winter used to push an idea he called "Purple Plan II". All it said was that you had to do only one thing per day on a project. He would lay out the plans on night one. Cut out parts night two, etc. It's amazing what you can get done this way. If I get this far, I usually get a bunch more done because I can't stop. Plus move the TV to the shop. Or toss it off a high place ......
Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the solution is a nagging wife....when i was married the more she would ***** about my planes the more drive i had to build them.

.....been divorced for 5 years and have hardly built anything.....

dave
Old 06-11-2004, 12:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The PP2 thing works pretty well. Once you're at the bench the juices start to flow.... usually. Even if they don't and you only just tidy things up and stare wistfully at the projects at least you tidied up a little.

But I know what you mean. I've been in a slump for months as far as model building goes. But I'm one of those folks with WAY too many hobbies. Some of the other ones have taken me over. But I STILL need to build something to sport fly for the summer.... GRRRRR.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:10 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: kdheath

Or toss it off a high place ......

Yeah, it's not that I like to watch TV (mainly movies, or stuff without commercials), but I end up there, because I get exasperated/bored/tired/etc. even just looking at the stuff to be done...

I am doing 2 minute stuff here and there, but then, an hour long project ends up taking weeks, and I tend to lose stuff. I can't find a spinner bolt that I took off a couple of weeks ago. I know it's around here somewhere, but now I've misplaced it... []

Zag - I got rid of the wife too, last year. Maybe there's something to that.... [X(]

phil in austin
Old 06-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Jaime_Arenas
My Feedback: (4)

Phuffstatler,

for me R/C building and flying in general is just a hobby; something I do to get away, relax and just do something that I enjoy doing. Sometimes I forget that I'm suppose to be doing these things (designing, building, and flying) for the pure fun and enjoyment that I get from the activity itself, and like yourself I get frustrated that I can't seem to accomplish anything. At times like that I simply get away from it; I won't draw plans, I wont build and I may not even fly for a while. I'll go out and hang out with friends that I haven't seen since the start of the last flying season, or I'll go to my club's events armed only with my camera and just take pictures of other people's planes. I try to enjoy the other things I like to do, but usually put on the back burner because I'm designing something, or building something, or the day is too nice to spend it at any other place than the flying field. Eventually, something happens to spark my interest (usually after only a couple of weeks of being away from R/C stuff) and I again find myself staying up way past my bedtime sketching up possible designs, or cutting up balsa, and once again my weekend schedule revolves around what the weather will be like.

So just take a few days off and enjoy something else. However, if you are getting paid to build stuff for other people and your behind schedule get off the couch and get building!

Jaime.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
TNRabbit

Get up, go outside, and DO SOMETHING PHYSICAL; it sounds like you are flirting with depression...
Old 06-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have TV in my workshop and a computer in my foam cutting/covering room. If I had a mini fridge and a toilet downstairs I'd never have to leave.

I do tend to get to a certain point and procrastinate though. It seems like when the fun stuff is done and it's time to begin covering I get the urge to start a new project.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:26 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In the end you may just need a new sport of hobby to add some variation to your life. As much as I could be branded a blasphemer I fully feel that man does not live by model airplanes alone. It happens and truth be told it's probably healthier. Get a mountain bike and go out and enjoy some nice trail riding. Or buy a nice new digital camera and go out on those same trails and learn to really SEE nature by using a lens to focus your attention on what's there that we normally miss. Or take up sailing, or motorcycling, or woodworking, or scuba diving, or tennis, or.... let's see, have I missed any on my list of hobbies? Nope, that about covers it for the CURRENT ones.

I think Rabbit is right, get out and do something physical. Hopefully you're just fighting some left over winter doldrums. If not then do something positive and new to get yourself back into your own good book.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:53 PM
bigchap

beer gets me motivated but dulls the skills!last week i cut some holes for aileron servos in an at-6 i am building-on the TOP of the wings!
Old 06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
TNRabbit

DOH!![:@]
Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM
DICKEYBIRD

If the weather where you're at in Texas is like it is here where I am, it's the friggin' heat & humidity! Your mind & body is saying on a subliminal level "No way we're gonna go outside to fly this thing!" I have the same problem about this time every year. You'll get used to it.

Another thing that helps is to set aside one night a week to have a flyin' buddy or 2 over to your workshop, or you go the theirs and b/s over a couple brewskis. It invariably gets me off'n my arse 'cuz the next time you get together, somebody will notice you haven't accomplished doodly-squat and wear you out about it. Nothing like good 'ol peer pressure to make you get your lazy tail in gear!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:20 PM
bigchap

regarding me cutting servo holes on the top of the wings,do you think anyone will notice if i fly inverted all the time?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:04 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to my world, adult ADHD, open that new kit and fire into it right there on the living room floor,work on it till (while watching tv) its time to go to work (at night) come home the next day to find the mess,, gather it up and put in the box thinking you'll work on it tonight,(but knowing better) and then watch ebay for another project to work on...Dbird is right about the heat too, but dont have any flying buddies (except you guys) to come over and b/s with,,so between tv,building,and this thing, time slips by before ya know it..and it may be weeks before I go through another spurt of building energy....Rog
Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Lynn S

Before I found this place, and discovered "little airplanes" , I have been known to buy a complete ready to fly .45 size plane and never charge the batteries..... keep it for a year and sell it at the hobby shop. I had no desire to fly it.
Dang....have things changed. I still haven't figured it out why its so much fun to watch these little planes fly. The building/flying slump hasn't hit yet, hopefully it won't for a long time.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil, I think if you try flying a little control line again, you will get alright. I had a visit with Jim Smith yesterday.

Jim
Old 06-11-2004, 05:55 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I often slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down when I get to the radio installation. I hate that part...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Phil,

What we need to stimulate the juices is to get the TX 1/2a guys together. Got to be somewhere between Houston and Austin we can meet up and have some fun. Sometimes a little peer pressure is all you need. Its too far for me to get up to those events they keep talking about, so maybe we need to have a 'small' fly in down here.

Who else is in our neck of the woods?

Duke
Old 06-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

ORIGINAL: TNRabbit

Get up, go outside, and DO SOMETHING PHYSICAL; it sounds like you are flirting with depression...
I'm afraid TNRabbit is on the mark. You need to make a few fundamental changes in your life as BMatthews suggests. All of us have some closely guarded wild ambitions to do something completely off the wall like sky-diving or going to a racing school. Now is THE time to actually do one of those things. It will be a kind of mental rebirth which is exactly what it sounds like you are in desperate need of at the moment.
Or you can just join a 'cook-up' on SFA.
Whatever you decide I wish you success. Tom
Old 06-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a bit of REVERSE psycology-
Tell yourself you are not allowd to build anything for a MONTH! And don`t... if you can!
I second Bmathews- get into something else for a bit- I often find I start to think about making model stuff when I am tramping (kiwi word for hiking) Or camping-
J.M
Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 PM
raycamel

Man, you gotta love these guys, I was sorta haveing these same impure thoughts- everything sloooowed down. my contest entry was done and flew wonderful, I puchased an ARF and put it together and flew it twice and banged it up a little. its just sitting there(next to me) lookin stupid. I guess my life has played a role in my lack of modeling. but I enjoy hearing, reading,talking with the "1/2a"guys". model airplanes truely have a place in my heart, Even if I don't touch them for weeks or months I wouldn't give them up for anything. I'm also tired of building too. sometimes just the company of frends is enough, there good for dragging me out to do somthing/anything. hope ya get your juice back chuck
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 PM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be something about 1/2 A that drives some of us to drink,one of my other hobbies is brewing my own beer...Big Chap,D.B. and me seem to enjoy a cold lager or two on a hot day.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI PHIL! I have been where you are at, and the best thing is to neatly put everything away, and go join the local gym. There you will be putting yourself into a better position to meet another lady and at the same time get your mind and body recharged for more quality time at the work bench when the time is right to resume model building.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.