Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOB stealth sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 02:15 PM
RYANO218

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB stealth sport

I am looking at the house of balsa stealth sport kit, tower hobbies has them for only 26.99 and it seems like a good deal. Has anyone built one of these? How do they handle with a cox .049 and standard radio gear?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: HOB stealth sport

Ryan I did not build mine-bought it at a auction- but do fly it all the time and it is great fun. I started w/ a Cox .049 which flew it fine and then moved up to a .061 Norvel w/ three channels and it now flys better. If all you have is the .049 and 2 channel radio then go ahead w/ that and have fun. Dale
Old 06-11-2004, 11:59 PM
RYANO218

I have a hitec focus 3 and a brand new norvel .061 sitting on my bench that i could use.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:05 AM
scubyfan

I have one. Was very underpowered with a .049 and didn't really fly. I put in a .15 and now it hauls arse. It's a tight fit, though.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Ryan Use the gear you have on hand and have a blast- you will like it. Dale
Old 07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
rcairplanenut

This is one good plane I would recommend a Norvel .061 start up, and 2 standard servos.

SGG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98496.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	154642  
Old 07-17-2004, 09:42 PM
henryhighwood

I built one and put in a Cox goldenbee .049 and was disappointed in it, When I swapped the .o49 for an AP .09, it came to life and is a great flying little ship. The tank and throttle servo were a tight fit. I think you will like it. The .061 will probably do the job.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 AM
KLRico

I had one with a norvel .049 and standard servos quite a while ago. I was pretty dissapointed in it's performance. I think a .061 with micro servos would be great in it. Even better would be a .074!

Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out. [8D]
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KLRico
Even better would be a .074!

Good luck with it, and let us know how it works out. [8D]

I just recieved my Stealth Sport from tower for the $27 dollars or so, and it came here in just a few days with the cheapest shipping. I will be using a Norvel .074 and I really want to add two wheels in the back and steerable nosewheel for ground take offs and landings (so much cooler). So when I get to that part I'll post here. The kit comes with high quality parts, good photo instructions, a set of full size plans, and a handy exploded view sheet. I think I will be using a standard servo for elevator, and a micro servo for ailerons, and one of those super cheap servos from ebay for the throttle control. I have a few MA 6x3's so I think I will stay with those until I get the hang of this plane! [8D]
Old 08-19-2004, 09:07 PM
rcairplanenut

If you are going full house controls on the SS I would highly recommend the smallest servos you can buy.

Since I retired my SS I have designed a number of small hand launched planes using 2 standard servos and Norvel .061 engines and they all work very well. If you want the most Bull S**t free way to build and equip this plane I would stick to 2 standard servos and a Norvel .061 engine.

SGG
Old 12-09-2004, 10:09 PM
physics_nut

How will it do on a .049 and micro servos? Not looking for speed demon, just something to putter around with between heli flights.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:21 PM
smallrc

I'm building one right now, plan on 2 channel, 3 micro servos
(two for aileron), Tee Dee .049 with Cox tank mount for power.
Not looking for a screamer, just a gentle sport flier.[sm=wink.gif]
Old 12-30-2004, 06:55 AM
hcker2000

I built one of these in 1997 or 98 from plans (they didn't have kits back then). The kit probably comes with dowel rods for the back. The better solution is to go buy an aluminum arrow at a sporting goods store and make two pieces the same size as the dowel rods. There are a few advantages to this. You save on weight and gain strength. You can run the elevator control line threw the arrow (its hallow inside). The plans I have call for it to have one tire at the front with skid pads on the bottom of the wings at the tips and on the tail. I added an extra tire up front and a small one in back (mostly for looks I guess). I also added a third servo to control the throttle seance I have never liked plains with out. I just wish I had gotten to fly the thing. I was having problems trying to keep the motor running so I let some one from school take it home (he worked on r/c planes too) and try and get it straitened out. There ended up being and accident and the plain was destroyed aside from the motor and electronics. I ended up getting a .15 out of the deal. Another friend and I are getting back into the hobby now that we are a bit older and are probably going to each buy a SS kit and make them 3 channel and mono cote them the same pattern aside from the colors. I'v also thought about trying to make this a pusher but havn't really looked into it yet.

PS: If any one has/knows plans for a 1/2a pusher design or any other wild designs let me know.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might as well post my experiences with the plane here again.. I built it with tricycle landing gear and I used an HS-81 servo on elevator, two HS-55's for ailerons, and some cheeeeap GWS micro servo on throttle. I used an .074, with a 6x3 for the first flights and that seemed enough. Man that airplane really would have benefited from dual rates, or just ATV's, and maybe a 7x3. I mounted the .074 diagonally with the head exactly on the diagonal line from the upper left corner to the bottom right corner of the firewall, and it made for a very good looking "cowled" like airplane, plus with a spinner. I really loved the look of it in the air. I'd say the wings were a bit weak, with those tiny sticks for the spars. Quarter inch spars and supports would be best with 3/32" ribs, instead of the 1/16" that it has (I mean, the plane is made for an .049...). I could fly it comfortably with half throttle. It would ROGrass in about 7 feet. Fun plane.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:18 AM
twister55

here is my sport stealth under construction

it is number one of 2 so the second one is on the way.

here is the future engine a norvell 061 revlite.... it's already bench run nicely..

Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Turbobeaver

Ah yes!A trip down memory lane.I built one of these years ago when the article first appeared in M.A.N.I side steped the original construction article sequence and installed a Queen Bee .074 in it instead.For radio gear I used 3 Tower TS-11's micro servo's and 4AAA battery pack with micro receiver.
When all is said and done,I was rather disappointed in this particular model.Flight wise,I didn't find it all that spectacular and theQueen Bee .074 engine proved to be heavy and under powered despite my efforts to get the weight of the model down as much as possible.I still have the model but it doesn't get brought out to the field very much in favour of models that deliver a far greater grin factor.

Now if I had a Norvel .074 up front and some REALLY lite modern gear on board,maybe the grin factor might go up a few notches.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:42 PM
BrykMantis

I've had a few of these 1/2a Stealths and have always loved them. They fly great and even make a Intermediate Flyer like myself look good.

One thing I didn't like was the 3-4 minutes of flying time. So, in order to fix this, I placed an additional 1oz Fuel Tank between the Elevator and Aileron servos. The square 4cell flat pack receiver battery rests on its edge up against the firewall (padded). After that I got 8-9 minute runs with a Cox TD .049 that tore up the skies on 20% Nitro fuel. Trust me, it really is easy and well worth while.

Note: The breather line from the interior tank attaches to the pressure tap on the engine...
The fuel line from the interior tank attaches to the fill tap on the TD...
The fuel feed line on the TD attaches to the Carb (Reed Valve)...
The overflow on the TD is blocked (small fuel line and screw) to allow the circulation via vacuum (think of it like an electric circuit)...

When you fuel. you unhook the pressure line and attach your syringe (whatever) there and unblock the overflow. When fuel comes out the overflow it is ready. REMEMBER to reblock the overflow and replace the pressure or the circuit will not work when you are finished fueling.

Also, make it so the cockpit is removeable (after the first one I didn't even bother with a cockpit...too much DRAG).

I read here that a couple of people were using two aileron servos. What a waste of extra weight. If you just heat up your flexible pushrod tubing in boiling water and hold the shape you want it works like a charm. Mine never failed or bound because I followed the instructions.

Finally, REINFORCE the tailgroup by using servo screws ( at least 4, 2 each side ) to hold the horizontal stabilizer to the booms. On my early versions this was the first place that failed ...ending in disaster.

GOOD LUCK
casabryk
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
BrykMantis

See post #17 in this thread. All standard servos, radio, receiver pack. Use TD .049 with 20% fuel. Fly without the Cockpit (make it removable of just leave it off using jst the flat panel).