Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need a Recommendation - New to 1/2A

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need a Recommendation - New to 1/2A

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Recommendation - New to 1/2A

I am new to 1/2A and I am thinking of getting a plane with a .074 but I am not familiar with these planes. I would like a recommendation for a good acrobatic, slow flying plane. I was thinking of the ACE simple 230 extra. What is your favorite plane?

I fly electrics (Dandy GT) and have just started flying a .46 Avistar.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need a Recommendation - New to 1/2A

The Norvel .074 is a powerhouse, and you can fly just about any .10 size, and probably a few .15 size planes with it. I have one in a Global SST .09 and it will almost lift it vertically on 15% fuel and all 3 head shims with a Cox gray 7X3.5. I have no doubt it will go vertical when I remove the extra shims. It flies this plane (35" WS) very well, and is much lighter than anything in its displacement or power class.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: Need a Recommendation - New to 1/2A

The Extra is fine if you add a 1/2 inch trailing edge to the wing and 1 inch ailerons. The .074 may be a little too much power for the Extra unless you are an experienced pilot. I had a .074 on my first Extra and it was pretty hot and not easy to control. I think the extra speed and power can easily get you in trouble.
I think the .061 is the best engine for this plane. It will make a very easy to fly plane with the added wing area mentioned above. I have a Norvel .049 on my Extra right now, and it flys much like a trainer, but moves along very well for a .049. I built this one from the plans and used a constant chord wing. The kit will have a tapered wing.

Note: the picture shows a Cox TD that was used on the first four flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52416.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	142310