Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 09:03 AM
AirForceCop67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear

Just curious, what oleo and wheel size is closest to 1/18th scale?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Gear

For what plane? They are all different. If you've got a scale model then get a little 3view of it and compare the wheel and plane size on the drawing to your model. Some simple math will tell you what size the wheels for your model should be. Same for the oleo struts although for 1/2A models no one really bothers. If you want to fake it I suggest heat shrink tubing shrunk on in layers and short bands to simulate the leg sizes and then paint it silver and grey.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:16 PM
AirForceCop67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am detailing a 21st Century P-51 for a static display. The bird will represent a Red Tail 'stang belonging to the 302nd FS 332nd FG, Tuskegee Airmen. I know it is not an R/C aircraft, but I want realistic oleo's struts and wheels. I will be rebuilding the entire gear bay. As yet, I have no 1/18 plans for the mustang, so I am guess Im going about this the hard way.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:14 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom:

For what you are doing I'd think the absolute best source would be a medium sized plastic model.

Bill.