Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Windy Day Flying.....

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Windy Day Flying.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windy Day Flying.....

It seems every day is the same lately. We have a strong S/W wind all day...then from around 6:30-7pm to dark it is dead calm. Perfect for flying.
Well today I couldn't wait until late to fly and get my "flying fix" for the day.
My wife and I had a wedding to attend at 5 pm, so at 3 pm it was fly in the wind or wait until tomorrow. I had been working on a fuel draw problem on the new Extra and .049 Norvel and it seemed to be pulling strong.
I filled the tank enough for one long flight, started the engine in my shop and carried it to the front yard for a launch into the wind. I could tell right away things were different....not out of control but different. I know the plane doesn't know anything about wind, but turning into the wind was like hitting a brick wall. It would almost stop when the wind would hit the top surface of the wing in the turn and drop around 20 ft. It would fly through the gusty wind but this was not fun! .....things were ok, but Not Fun to fly in. Then I lost tank pressure due to the line coming off the muffler. The engine power must have dropped to almost half. I had to get it down the best I could and managed to bang it in on the belly from about 5 ft off the grass...with no damage. I've learned my lesson, don't fly on windy days.
I'm looking forward to those hot windless days of July and August.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:54 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Windy Day Flying.....

So when you gonna fly that SST babes? My .09 size flies great on the .074.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Lynn S

I should be ready for the SST and Hummer in a few weeks...
I'll have a .061 AP on the SST and a TD for the Hummer.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:49 AM
XJet
Banned

I *love* windy days -- they're possibly even more fun than dead-calm ones.

With a decent wind you can do some scorching downwind passes at very high ground-speed, and do almost vertical landings through careful use of the throttle and elevator.

If it's a little turbulent then that adds extra excitement to the flights.

To be honest, I get a little bored just buzzing around the sky on a dead calm day.

It was a perfectly calm day here today and I ended up strapping the little wireless camera back on my Stik to relieve the boredom.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:26 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Lynn S
I know the plane doesn't know anything about wind, but turning into the wind was like hitting a brick wall. It would almost stop when the wind would hit the top surface of the wing in the turn and drop around 20 ft.
Lynn, don't listen to those "experts" that argue all day about how models aren't affected by wind and that there's no need to compensate for a downwind turn. They're just plain wrong. They can explain it ad nauseum in excrutiating detail and draw upon their superior knowledge of physics and full-scale flying but I'll keep on flying my planes with a lot of respect for the wind!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Lynn S

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Lynn S
I know the plane doesn't know anything about wind, but turning into the wind was like hitting a brick wall. It would almost stop when the wind would hit the top surface of the wing in the turn and drop around 20 ft.
Lynn, don't listen to those "experts" that argue all day about how models aren't affected by wind and that there's no need to compensate for a downwind turn. They're just plain wrong. They can explain it ad nauseum in excrutiating detail and draw upon their superior knowledge of physics and full-scale flying but I'll keep on flying my planes with a lot of respect for the wind!
Dickybird, Thats true, the wind tends to do things that you don't want to happen, no matter what the wing is "thinking"

XJet, Yes it can be fun. I have flown my tiny electric Littlest Stick in the wind before and it was fun to watch it hover in the wind and then dive and blast through, doing this with just rudder and motor control! amazing little plane! Those stubby little wings are good in the wind
Old 06-13-2004, 05:50 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Origional Dickybird
If these guys call themself's experts they must have never flown. Or if they have, there either liars or morons. There are obvious, tangable, noticable differences even in a small breeze. I like flying on clam and moderatly windy days. Calm days are nice for precision manuvers, pattern stuff. And the wind is like taking your plane to an amusement park.

Darren
Old 06-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Lynn S

OK, I'm waiting for the wind to die...again........a thunderstorm came through and the air was still for about 30 min. By the time I got my plane ready to fly the sun came out and the wind picked up. The trees are really bending at the tops now.
I got the LS150 RO out and it doesn't need to deal with the wind at all.. it just has rudder. It always amazes me to look inside this plane and see just one servo, and think...this thing can fly?

edit: I got in two flights just before dark, the wind never did stop blowing, but it wasn't that bad. The LS150 RO would just about hover with a lot of S-ing. I got brave and put on the standard size stubby 30 inch wing instead of the 35 inch and that made it cut through the wind pretty good. I think it is more responsive with the smaller wing and faster. I used the tx and rx from a(readytoflyfun.com) parkflyer and it worked fine with the futaba servo, and switch harness and batt.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD
Milton, sorry but I can’t let this one slide by. There is NO discrepancy between the laws of physics and the real world. Just that both sides have enjoyed misconstruing the comments made by the other in order to keep the “down wind turn controversy” alive and well since (I would guess) the time of the Wright bros.

First, the experts are talking about a theoretical steady flow of air, i.e., no gusts or turbulence. Of course, this is SELDOM (if ever) the case. Yesterday my lazy bee got knocked all over the place in a moderate (but gusty) breeze. The wind obviously had an effect.

Second, since we are flying in relation to the ground and the plane is flying in relation to the air, we MUST compensate for the wind. I have NEVER heard anyone say otherwise. For instance flying circles in relation to the ground is actually a series of shallow and high bank turns in relation to the wind. The pilot must be aware of this and compensate accordingly.

Third, if one were flying in relation to the wind, say from the back seat of a convertible that was driving down the runway at the same speed as the wind, then there would be no noticeable effect from the wind. I guess some might argue this, but it is a fact.

Lastly, now and again, someone will try to bring in the effects of momentum and inertia on the down wind turn. This IS a fallacy, (has no effect), and has probably contributed to the controversy.

I believe both sides are (intentionally?) mixing apples and oranges and that the laws of physics are valid.

Al
Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow
Old 06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Good points Al, sounds like you & I are talking apples & apples.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Big Al-RCU

First, the experts are talking about a theoretical steady flow of air, i.e., no gusts or turbulence. Of course, this is SELDOM (if ever) the case. Yesterday my lazy bee got knocked all over the place in a moderate (but gusty) breeze. The wind obviously had an effect.

Second, since we are flying in relation to the ground and the plane is flying in relation to the air, we MUST compensate for the wind. I have NEVER heard anyone say otherwise. For instance flying circles in relation to the ground is actually a series of shallow and high bank turns in relation to the wind. The pilot must be aware of this and compensate accordingly.

Third, if one were flying in relation to the wind, say from the back seat of a convertible that was driving down the runway at the same speed as the wind, then there would be no noticeable effect from the wind. I guess some might argue this, but it is a fact.

Al
Good point: As a CL Combat pilot I can relate that much of the preceived difficultly of flying in windy conditions has more to do with wind created turbulence than with steady state wind. For years the CL Combat contest with the biggest prize package was the Bladder Grabber (may still be). The Grabber is held at Harvey Field north of Seattle and the area where Combat is flown is just north of some very tall trees. When the wind got out of the south and above a few knots, the turbulence off those trees would sometimes surprise you with a view of the top side of your wing, something that is not a pleasant sight in CL.

As a full size pilot I can relate that turbulence off very high mountains can be severe and scary well above 60,000 feet and thousands of miles from the mountain range.

Your moving test sounds like a fun demo. I have the RC plane and access to a 10,500 ft. runway. Can you bring the convertible down here?