Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NC Vintage RC Society Fly In Comments

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NC Vintage RC Society Fly In Comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NC Vintage RC Society Fly In Comments

Guys, missed many of you at the Vintage RC Society Flyin this weekend. Deadstik was there flying his Littlest Stick a gazillion times. Brian (Fireman) flew his Lighting Bug and Roaring 20 and walked away with the "Youngest pilot Award" !! Boy, do I feel old! There were a few 1/2A taken to the skys by others also. Tim, I had several inquiries about the "limited Edition" Cox Yellow Jacket Tee Dee .049 in the School Girl.

If you are into electrics, Bob Wesley of Apex Hobbies had one of the Wee Sticks converted to electric and it was very impressive. How about 8 to 10 minute flights, 4 channel, and it would out climb my Tee Dee .020 powered Wee Stick. Deadstik and I tried several times to shoot him down in air to air combat!!!

Now when do we get together again for another 1/2A flyin?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NC Vintage RC Society Fly In Comments

Bob,

I hated that I had to miss it myself. I need to build something to fly at it next year. Sounds like everyone had fun! I trust you received the Thermal Hopper last week.

Later,
Tim
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM
BobHH

Tim, got it back from you. A beautiful job of cleaning it up. You always do a great job. Now for the vintage model to put her on!! How's my little DR1 .020 coming along? Got a little low winger waiting for it.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM
boberos

Hi Bob,

Congratulationss on a successful event & glad you are doing it again next year.
You already know my feelings.
Make it a 2 day affair & we will make the effort to get there. (14 hour drive)

Bob G
Old 06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Bob,

Oh the little Disk Rotor project.......I must have done something very bad in a past life. The machinist ( the second one on this project ) that I was working with to get may parts made has turned into a ghost again. I just don't konw what the problem is. So anyways my Sniper DR .020 may just end up being a one off engine. I was not all that into a .020 sized engine anyways. So I think I am going to rethink the whole project and see what I can come up with using a Norvel crank, piston and liner. I have had enough of this B.S. and am breaking down and going to have to invest in some new machines to take care of it all in house myself. I have my eye on a new milling machine and some other items but I just don't have the room to all of them so I am sort of stuck. Oh well I guess it will come together all in due time.

P.S.
What do you NC dudes think about something like every 1 or 2 or whatever Saturday of every month we get together and fly? No need to a special "Fun Fly" everytime.

Later,

Tim
Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM
BobHH

Bob, there is talk about a 2 day event and I am looking into it now. It was just quite an endeavor just doing 1 day!! Let me get my breath and I will let you guys know.

Tim, sorry to hear you are having trouble with machinist. I feel there would be a good market for a good running .020. many of the early small designs fly so well with the micro radios and Tee Dee .010 but are a ball with the .020. I have collected a few Tee Dee .020s but they are beginning to be a bit pricy! Hopefully you can find a good and relaible machinist.

HOW ABOUT IT GUYS!!! ANY MACHINIST OUT THERE?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 06-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Tim,

You need a machinist??? I've got a machinist.... send me an email with what you need and I'll contact him and describe your project. His company did thousands of dollars of work for my old company and the work was always perfect. Let me know what you need machined/how.. and I'll get with you on this... problem solving is my life !!!!>>>LOL

Dan
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Bob,

Congrats on the event. If I can make a suggestion! Others have voiced their opinion on a two day event and I agree with that opinion. My suggestion to somehow put more space between the Muncie VRCS flyin in early June and yours. I am 4 hours from Muncie and about 6-7 hours from you, but with your flyin being the next weekend after Muncie I didn't go because that would be two weekends in a row and for me that is too close.

Florida is in February, Muncie in June and Selinsgrove in September. How about the middle of July? Avoid the last week in July and first week in August as that is Oshkosh.

My $.02
Old 06-15-2004, 07:07 AM
BobHH

We have been kicking around the 3rd week of May and possibly a 2 day event. July down here can get miserably hot. It is still in the talking stage. What would be the better days? Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday? Still trying to finish up everything and get back on track but we are looking at all possibilities.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

I sure wish I could of made it and dang dont ya know next week we're supposed to drop back to a 5 day (night) work week..now Bob dont be infringin on my 05-10-05 RCU 1/2a flyin...unless we can combine 1/2a and antique? hey now..that could be an idea...not 1/2a antique but both....2 days...more people, = more fun, not that I didnt have a great time at the funfly I did but a combination might be a good thing........maybe we should talk?...July is awful hot and by August lots of folk are tired of the heat,dogday afternoons and all that.....maybe 1/2A/Antique/Electric would be good...........Rog
Old 06-15-2004, 11:15 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

BoBHH: The 3rd weekend in May is around the time for Joe Nall. Many of us large scalers like to head down to Greenville that time of year.

No matter when you do it, somebody's gonna have a conflict.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:33 AM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: BobHH

We have been kicking around the 3rd week of May and possibly a 2 day event. July down here can get miserably hot. It is still in the talking stage. What would be the better days? Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday? Still trying to finish up everything and get back on track but we are looking at all possibilities.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
The third week of May may be the week just before Muncie, perhaps earlier in May. Like D.P. said you can't satisfy everyone. Personally, Saturday and Sunday would be preferred.

How about October? Up here it is the driest month and at your latitude the temperature should be nice.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 PM
fireman7875

Bob,

I don't care when you do it, I'm gonna do my darndest to be there. Had an awesome time. I really enjoyed seeing some rather unusual (to me anyway) models fly. The weather was iffy but it didn't prevent a great 1/2a show of force! The little fellas flew just as well as the bigger ones (better in some cases). I don't know why, but to me vintage is synonomous with 1/2a so I would love to see even more 1/2a flyers get in on the vintage thing. I thought you, Dick and everyone else who helped did a wonderful job and I can't wait til the next one. Thanks again!

Brian (the baby of the group)
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Bobhh,

I am very sorry I missed your event at the SWAMPS and I'm sure it was great - but being there for the birth of our younger daughter's first child was way better! I really think the word "awesome" is over-used - but in this case it is just barely adequate.

This little boy (Mason) already shows promise of being air-oriented if the passage of gas is any measure.

As to future get-togethers for our NC group, please register my very strong support. My only recommendation is that we continue to keep it as informal as possible - just the way we started it.

Since we have four locations where "normal" club members have put up with us with apparently no more than moderate irritation, why don't we just declare a rotating schedule where we take turns hosting our merry band - say the 4th Sunday of each month - for the rest of the Summer and see how it goes. Bobhh and Rog should go last since they have been the most recent hosts. Deadstick and I should arm wrestle (wait I'd lose for sure) - make that flip a coin to see who goes next...

OK, I just did the coin thing and I won.

So, I semi-formally propose that the 4th Sunday in August youse guys come to my "home", JCAC, where I will serve you plenty of sky and 'burgers. July I propose Dan play host. September for Roger and October at Bob's. (Dan, I'd go first but I have surgery scheduled for the end of July, Honest.)

Any comments? Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:33 AM
flyinrog

I think I could swing sept how about maybe food,,no prizes? I was expecting more folk at the funfly I had, and really dropped a bundle on it basically I spent about $30 per person on the last one, BobHH is probably tired of being asked for planes for prizes, I guess since I won the engine I sent Tim, he lost on that one...I had a great time, though, ah what the heck, Yeah, I'll do it ...this time you guys bring some folks with ya,,I'll get it put in the newsletter and see which field we can use.....Tim W. if you read this...there is a small problem with meeting once or twice a month ,, in my case (and others) if you fly at my field more than once or twice you have to join.. ie I can have guests, but only for events or 1 or 2 times as I said, after that you have to join,,,, there are lots of strange bylaws that I have to adhere to, because it is county owned land...and AMA stuff..now last time I asked for a bag of dog food for the "landing fee" for the local (new) animal adoption center,,, this time ..I'll be pointing ya'll in the direction of the nearest store in order to aquire your "landing fee"...so bring it with ya...dogs cant ask for help and I'm a born animal lover.....my ex used to get pi$$ed cause I'd pick a spider up to take it outside.......Rog
Old 06-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

I feel like crap now! I missed where you must have asked for the "puppy chow" landing fee[] I love animals too...baked, fried or BBQ'ed......no just kidding I saw that on a bumper sticker once. My last 3 pets have come from the humane society. Best darn animals ever, an English Pointer, a Beagle( man this dog can dig ) and a cool looking long hair cat! I figure why spend hundreds of bucks on an animal when there is so many the need a home for alot less!

Later,
Tim
Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 PM
flyinrog

Naw, dont feel bad Tim, anybody that adopts is okay in my book, its that I told the club about my idea and I think,they wanted some money instead (for the club) since I would be monopolizing the field for the day...Rog

favorite bumper sticker: how's my driving? call
1-800-eat-sh7t!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Raymond,

That's right.. dump July on ME !!!! The Hottest , most Miserable month in the glorious Southland and you want to have a Small Fly????? I'll have to think about that one.. but.. it would be fun...

Just keep in mind that it will probably be at least 88 degrees as with my runway orientation (due East) you can't really fly till after 11 or so...and of course there are the afternoon boomers... so.. If all you guy want to come... speak up... and I'll put it on... let me know??.. keep in mind...as somebody else said... maybe I'll hit up the hobby shops for donations... and perhaps have a small "landing fee" to keep the club guys happy... anyway.. I'll think of something.. just let me know if you guys want to do it ..... I'm a waitin !!!!

Deadstik....[8D]
Old 06-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Ladeez and Gennelmen and childrin of all ages,

Direct your attention to the center ring where the next NC Sml Brd get-together will be taking place. Watch Bob, Bailey, Dan, Tim, Timothy, John, Roger, Brian, Raymond, and a cast of thousands (mosquitoes mostly). See them perform marvelous feats of fancy flying flumuxery. “Can I see this anywhere else”, you ask? Heck no I respond, well Joe Nall comes close.

Why would anyone brave the scorching heat of July in central NC just to fly little model airplanes? Why those who enjoy the comradeship of kindred spirits and care not for personal discomfort. Duh.

Is it necessary to spend great sums of money on prizes and awards to lure these merry modelers to the remote reaches of the piney forests? No so. We care not for trophies as the pattern community doth (am I right Dan)? We care not for our photos in magazines. Verily it is enough to share good times with our pals (and show off our new goodies that you haven’t seen before).

Yes, Bob need not offer freebies; just bring samples and items for sale. Ditto, Tim. Just show us your marvels and accept orders. If you (the host) want to sell food, it’s OK. If not just let us know and we’ll bring our own. No biggy, I usually manage somehow. Same for requiring a token “landing fee”. I know that my club is always happy to report an increase to the coffers but if there are any objections, this too can be dealt with.

Organization should continue to be kept to a minimum (non existent) – just as it was when we started. “Hey guys set up over here and fly over there. Follow the frequency rules. Don’t step on anyone else’s models. Bathroom is behind that tree”. Honestly, sport flyers like us do not require – or like – a lot of rules.

Is a two day event required? I personally think not. As a long-time AMA CD, I can confirm that it is much more than twice the trouble. But let me offer an alternative. Let us say that a band of roving small model enthusiasts wish to attend a one-day NC get-together. Alas, they prefer to organize their travel to encompass two days in central NC. Perhaps it could be arranged for them to fly informally at JCAC on Saturday and a Barks event (for example) on Sunday. This way they could enjoy the (Southern) hospitality of two separate organizations for the price of one. Overnight accommodations would be required in any case and since our NC Sml Brd group is confined to a relatively small geographical area, travel between any two venues would not be likely to require more than an hour or so. If any Virginia or New Brunswick listeners would care to pitch in with pros and cons, feel free.

Once again, let me say that only the birth of a grandson would have caused me to miss Roger’s do. July is also a real problem due to the need for a new knee. Otherwise, I’d be “up front” with a whoop and a holler.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Raymond,

Listen here Champ that all sounds good with me. Nothing wrong with contests lets just keep the prizes to braggin' rights till the next month! As I don't yet have a "home" field the only time I get to fly with other people is with you fine fellows! I know it's a long drive for me to get up your way but heck with the prices it's only gas. It's well worth it for the fellowship of the Great North Carolina 1/2a Flying Fools! I have no problem with a landing "fee" for our get togethers, hey it's a clubs field after all.

BobHH,

I think my wife sent you an email about a late Father's Day present for me. I am looking for a plane for my first Sniper DR .020 engine.

Later,

Tim
Old 06-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Dear Tim,

You won't get much sympathy from me about the price of gasoline. If you just apply a little more pressure with your right foot when you are riding in your "cruiser" - you won't be on the road long enough to notice.

And the offer is still open for me to come down to fly with you - not as part of "the mob" - just mano-a-mano wherever you do fly. I am no stranger to schoolyards, industrial parks, and other non-traditional weekend "fields". And if anyone from the AMA is watching, I always fly according to the rules, including establishing the 180 degree flight line, pilot position(s), etc. So there.

As for the rest of youse, let me know if you want me to request the 4th sunday in August for the next JCAC Sml Brd thang. Our next meeting is coming up and I want to lobby for some support before I make the actual, formal request.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Raymond,

Count me in for Aug', like you had to ask!

Later,
Tim
Old 06-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I regret to have to report the demise of a friend.

This afternoon after the monthly combat activity had ended, I was asked to demonstrate my Littlest Stick (which was sitting in its usual place under the rear window of my old Honda). I over-controlled it and stalled during the launch and it settled, ungraciously I admit, to the center of the runway. Moments later a .60-sized something came in for a landing and plowed right through it. Little pieces. Sniff.

Well, I have the Formica rib template and I will add its replacement to the to-do list.

Please don't send flowers.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:57 AM
propshaft

Bob,

Is it possible to give some pointers to the uninitiated on how to electrify the Wee Stick?

What engine size, speed control, battery pack, Rx etc?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:24 PM
BobHH

Propshaft, give Bob Wesley at Apex RC Hobbies a call over in Apex NC. I don't have his number here now but you can find it on the Early RC webpage. Bob came up with the combination and darn if it flies very well!! He stocks a great deal of electric stuff as well as the small radio gear. I think he has helped a guy flying another Electric Wee Stick. Raymond, he going to be hard to beat in combat. He can out climb my Tee Dee .020 Wee Stick and stay up for 20 minutes!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.