Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Smaller than a T.D.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Smaller than a T.D.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:17 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smaller than a T.D.

Out of an old M.A.N. magazine was an advertisement for glow and diesel engines supposed to be smaller than a T.D. 010 available through an outlet in the U.K.

Just what engines were available commercially that were smaller than the famous Cox engine?

Wm.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:47 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Smaller than a T.D.

The Bambi .009 predated the Cox .010 by quite a few years.

Others?

George
Old 06-17-2004, 08:16 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where was the Bambi manufactured? Glow or diesel? Approximate date of sales? Cost then?

The ad which I read is not too specific.

Wm.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:25 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wm,

The Bambi .009 was a British diesel. I first saw advertisements in model mags in the mid 1950's.
Sorry, don't remember other particulars other than they were hard to start.

George
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
DesignMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Bambi .009, and not only was it hard to start, it had to be modified somewhat before it could be run at all. Quality control was definitely not up to the requirements of an engine that small. Even now it is extremely finicky. I have about 10 minutes of bench time on it, just enogh to verify it really runs. I was driving a C*x 4x2.5 black prop. Probably getting 8 to 9K out of it. Just right for puttering around in a small stick and tissue FF plane.

It was produced originally in England by Albon, then by DC. As a curio it is marvelous, as a useable engine, it is really gutless and VERY expensive.[:'(]

For practical flying, I use a Tee Dee .010 with the C*x 4x2.5 prop mounted backwards. I may have an extra gasket under the head too. The engine is a bit touchy, but not too bad, and flies a 1.5 ounce model without tearing the wings off.