Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Simple Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Simple Series

I hope this is ok to post a link here...If not, mods feel free to zap it.

For those who have an interest in the Simple Series planes,
I have started a thread (See Link Below)where I hope builders will join in and share the fun.
not to take anything away from our great group here, but just a spot for Simple Series interest.

Thanks, Lynn S

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/for...?TOPIC_ID=4563
Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ace Simple Series

Well. Lynn, looks like its good we all found out about LoneStar Balsa eh? we must have bought them out of the Me's and Caps, I know we generated sales for them,,wish they had more at $25, cant beat that anywhere..glad your having fun, I have an Extra,half built and the Me and Cap still the boxes, and it will be a while before I can start on them, have a HOB mustang I never have finished..I may never finish it...and a few others that need re-kitting...Rog
Old 06-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Lynn S

Rog,
Finish that Extra now! I found out that a $27 ,Norvel .049 will fly the heck out of it. The one I'm flying was built from the plans and has a constant chord wing on it. I had a great time with it today....working on that Inverted flying...

Note the link above.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a couple of simple caps. They are so ugly I'm having to redesign the cowl area and round the turtle deck. Out of the box construction they look like a boxy 4* not a cap.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Lynn S

All of them have the same front end. They are Slab Sided too, BUT you get the general idea of what your plane is. The idea is "Simple" not scale.
If someone wants a scale model they should try another kit. From the pictures the CAP looks good to me. I will start building my CAP next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61778.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	147203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91901.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	147204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23063.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	147205  
Old 06-25-2004, 04:57 PM
nekked_man_2000

Hey Lynn, nice planes. I used to have the Cap and the Extra plans, but can't find them anymore. Anyway, thought you might like this, this is my work on a redesign of the P51 to a Razorback version(A,B,C). Just sort-of eyeballed it and added some lines with mouse clicks 'til it looked right. I'm trying to think of other planes I could do, I already have 3 1/2a building projects underway, so I shouldn't start another, so I'm just drawing these for future projects. I'm thinking maybe and F86 or a P40. The P40 is kind-of defined by the nose, so I might have to make a cowl for that. A Zero would be nice too, but I don't have a good feel for the canopy on those. My wings will be built up also, or I may cut a foam one myself...make them real cheap that way.

Name:	Tr49849.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	147353  
Old 06-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Lynn S

Austin,
Great job on the P-51B drawings, now if you can just build it.
My Extra was built from the plans with a constant chord Ace wing and I put a non-throttled .049 Norvel on it. Fred Reese was right they will fly very well with a strong .049 . The Extra turned out to be the hot rod of the two over the P-51 with a AP .061,but I haven't tried the 5x3 cox prop on the AP yet. I like the mid-wing design of the Extra, easy to hold for launch and no change in trim with speed.
I have a .061 AME but I don't have the nerve to try it yet with no throttle.

Thanks again for the heads up on those $25 planes that are now sold out at Lone Star.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Lynn S

Here are some pictures made today of me and the Extra.

Name:	Qo41056.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	147718   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45522.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	147719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48961.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	147720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29686.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	147721  
Old 06-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Lynn S

I've got more!

Name:	Wu62225.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	147726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51483.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	147727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26575.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	147728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78255.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	147729  
Old 06-26-2004, 10:13 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I built the ACE Simple Ultimate, Ace Allstar Bipe, Sig supersport and several Herr Kits. Because of my previous experiences with these small kits I was expecting a more finished look. When I received my Caps I looked up the original construction article in MAN and looked at the pictures. I figured that with a little extra work I could make it look a lot more scale.
You did a nice covering and decorating job on your planes. I'm sure that they fly great and meet your expectations. When I get done with mine and post pictures I hope you will be as happy for me.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Lynn S

Mike,
These are pretty basic looking planes, but to me a Littlest Stick looks good. There is something about these "simple" designs that turn me on. I just got in the plans to the Simple Cub from RCM and I think it only has 11 parts to cut out not counting the doublers and top and bottom sheeting.
The problem with the small wing area causing tip stalling is easily cured by adding a small trailing edge (1/4 inch sq) and 1 inch ailerons.
My Extra is flying great with just a .049 Norvel.
I'm looking forward to seeing your CAP. I hope you have good luck with it. It looks like it should be a great flying plane.
Be sure to post some pictures when you have it built.
I think I will start on my CAP soon.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Lynn, great pics. The only simple I have is a 400. Just finished covering the fuse tonight ( man I hate covering what a hassle). I have to cover the wing install the radio equipment and I'm done. Some construction notes are:

1. Used robart 1/2A hinges on the alerons
2. Monocoat hinges on the elevator and rudder.
3. Norvell .061
4. DB fugi Film Canister tank(clunk supplied by Andrew Coholic )
5. Hitec 555RX
6. Servos are:
A. Alerons = 1 Hitec HS81
B. Elevator and rudder = 1 ea. JR nes241
C. Throttle = Hitec HS55
Don't know what it weighs yet, hoping for under 11oz. We will see.

Darren
Old 06-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Lynn S

Darren, thanks
That 400 should be super hot with that small fuse.
I've got a .061 AME non throttle engine I may try on my Extra one of these days. I'll have to start out with a short 2-3 min run.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:50 AM
CaMike

I built and flew the Simple series Ultimate Bipe and LOVED that little plane...May it RIP...Someday I'll build another but make some structural changes like built up Vert and Hori stabs instead of the thin Balsa, sheeting the foam wings, one servo for each wing half (Bottom wing only) and stronger wing attachment points. Other then that, this is a GREAT little plane. It was actually the first plane I built and the plane I learned to fly with. I powered it with an OS 25LA (probably WAY over-powered for you all but it called for upto a .15 and I thought that if a 15 was good then a 25 would be better ) Under power it flew wonderfly but deadsticks were a bit more challenging...get the wheels on the deck QUICK. After I had been flying for awhile I figured out what the heck CG was and it flew even better then. Anyway, I LOVED this plane and will definately build another someday.

Mike
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Lynn S

Mike,
I have heard nothing but good comments about the Ultimate Bipe. I know Bipe Flyer liked his. I guess its because most of the builders know what they are doing and it has more wing area. Wing area is a problem with the other planes but that is easily improved.
I have a Norvel .25 but I'm sure that would be too much engine for the bipe.
I'm sure not many have learned to fly with a bipe, in fact I have never flown one. I will build one of the Ultimate Bipes one of these days.
I think they have the CG too far forward with the Simple planes, I don't know why they use less than 25% for the CG.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
CaMike

My little Bipe was a GREAT little plane. Not the ideal first plane but it and I survived many instances that helped me become a better pilot (not to mention a better fabricator, structural engineer, CA/Epoxy Master, problem solver and overall repairman!!). It was WAY too nose heavy at first but as I learned more, I figured how to move the CG back and it became a much better plane, especially on take-off and landing as the gear wasn't as far forward as I would have liked with my heavy 25LA in it and any bump or uneven spot woould cause it to nose over REALLY easily. I finally gave up trying to take off from the ground and learned how to air launch it. Eventually I got the CG far enough back and bent the gear forward enough to be able to take off from the rough dirt I had been flying from. I don't think your norvel would be too much for it. I believe that you can never have too much power, only too much weight for the wing area. I think your norvel is lighter then my OS 25LA so you should be fine. I would HIGHLY suggest you give one a try. I think I have some video of it somewhere...If I can find it, I'll try to post it.

Mike