Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

sig nitro rascal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 10:50 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig nitro rascal

have been crashing the big ones and now for a change, [&:]any comment on the plane,what engine to use, tower says use a aps.61?[:-] what servos and reciever?, battery i have a 250 futaba battery and like futaba gear sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance[8D] frank
Old 06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: sig nitro rascal

Are you talking about the small .049 size Rascal?

If that is the one, a .049 Norvel will fly it. I found that my .049 Norvel has the same power a my AP .061, in any case a .049-.061 will do fine.
You can use your Futaba radio, just use micro servos. I have been using Hobbico CS-12s.with my Futaba radios, some here use even smaller servos, a 250 mah battery is fine.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:46 AM
frank99

yes the 049 rascal but tower dont sell norvel i wont a engine the is the best with few problems is the aps .061 ok or good thanks frank
Old 06-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Lynn S

I don't see a aps engine, I do see the AP .061 which is a fine little engine. I have two. It is a conventional ABC engine.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:19 PM
frank99

lynn my bad going to tower and buying the AP.061 micro rec and micro servos nitro plane any thing else i need this is a late gift she the wife is going to bank roll the whole lot
Old 06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your biggest concern with the small planes is weight. Norvell engins run great and have a power to weight ratio better than anyting else on the market. Go with the norvell you wont be sory.

IMO

Darren
Old 06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
flyinrog

Do a search first..I remember a thread on this plane washing out and stalling until some extra wing chord was added on......it may have been in the electric forums though...Rog
Old 06-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Lynn S

frank99, You really need a 1/2 A Starter, that will save you a LOT of time getting your engine going. The AP starts with just a touch of the starter.
Tower should have the Sullivan 1/2 A starter, The plug is round on the AP so you will need a cox glow plug clip or the clothes pin type clip.
A full size starter may damage the engine if it hydro locks from too much fuel. (it will bend the rod)
I would use at least 15% nitro fuel with castor oil, not synthetic oil.
I use Byron's 1/2A Fuel, it is 25% nitro and 16% castor oil.
The AP will pull a Master Airscrew 6x3 prop, you may want to try a cox 5x3 and see how you like it. use a 2 oz tank.
You will like the AP, just take time to break it in like the instructions tell you. I would run it on a test stand for your first three tanks of fuel, after that it should idle easily.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Dunno what your experience level is with building. The Sig Rascal is a builders kit. If you've only assembled a few ARFs you may find it something of a job. That said the quality of kit and instructions should represent no insurmountable challenge to even a raw novice who is capable of understanding and following instructions to the letter. Assuming you are a competent builder and in light of 'flyinrogs' comments you may want to build-in a few degrees of washout in each wing panel. Due to the D tube construction the wing is quite sturdy and putting washout in as an afterthought by putting a heat set in the covering can be a bit of a challenge. For the same reason you must be VERY sure to not build-in any unwanted warps. Frankly, at 324 sq. in., I can't imagine the Rascal having insufficient area. I would suspect excess weight or built-in warps to be the culprit in the instances he cites.
I fly mine with a geared Spd. 400 at @ 1 1/2# AUW. It gets upstairs very quickly, much more than I expected so it should fly quite well with a small glow or diesel if attention is paid to keeping it light. Avoid the urge to 'beef it up'. It is already over-designed to allow for building errors by inexperienced builders. Those who 'build 'em to crash' are assured of success as the extra weight mitigates against the flying qualities of any design. Build them to fly.
Built to plan it will come out very light with a lot of 'flyability'. Mine will readily soar on the lightest lift after I shut off the motor. For me the only surprises were the climb rate with only a small geared electric motor and more speed than I expected. In retrospect it is such a clean design I shouldn't have been surprised by either aspect. HTH, Tom
Old 06-23-2004, 12:10 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I am flying one right now. It is all set up for the HS 55 servo size and the .061 Norvel. I fly mine with an HS 555 Rx, 3 HS 55 servos, a 270mAh battery pack, and a Norvel .061 and it flys GREAT!!!!! I really enjoy it. The quality of the ARF is outstanding!!!! It flys well rather it's slow or fast, turns well, and lands real nice too. I recomend it highly. I took mine to SMALL this year and everyone was impressed.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:18 PM
frank99

2fast i thing iam going with the norvel do you know where to purchase the .061 tower dont sell them wonted to get it all in one place thanks to all the guys and there great input this plane looks great frank[&:]
Old 06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Lynn S

quantummodels.com sells Norvels

also you can order from Norvel
Old 06-23-2004, 04:10 PM
2fast4u

SIG owns ALL of it!!! The plane, the Norvel line, and all the parts too. You should go through them to get everything in one stop. Or do what I do, go to your local hobby shop. SUPPORT THE LOCAL ECONOMY.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
frank99

this is why i love rc great people and great help 2 fast when it comes in will you test fly it i have been flying 1/4 cub sig gp sta-m space walker sig [X(] but i was told the little ones are a handful tower has a deal on the plane now or marks or quantummodles are you a member at the big club at burns thanks to all the great guys frank
Old 06-23-2004, 05:51 PM
flyinrog

okay maybe it was the electric version...but I clearly recall that there was a thread about how to add some chord to the wing to make it more stable, because it was when it was first introduced in the Mags...and I remember 2Fast had said he'd gotten one or was getting one..someone else had done the fix and it made the plane ,well..not as nice looking as it was originally, but that it flew much better....but if you guys are flying it like it is, well, I dont know,I was just trying to help...Rog
Old 06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
frank99

jump in any time we only wont to use the stuff that works [8D]have a new gp lancair and the wing might fold [>:]front fork bends upgrad is 90$ []radio balance is very inportant we need to know alllll about the planes we buy
Old 06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
2fast4u

The 1/2A Nitro Rascal is good to go right out of the box. Just build it per the plans, balance it where it shows, and you will have NO PROBLEMS!! If you break-in your engine and fill it with 25/20 fuel, then I will test fly it if you think I need to, but you can do it. It is a VERY STABLE plane!!!! As easy to fly as any 40 size plane. Just follow the recomended throws on the controls and it will be a gentle powder puff. PM me if you want to set up a test hop when you get to that point.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:46 PM
chippieho

I Threw an OS10 on mine. Lil birdy moves right along. I'm in the process of putting ailerons on it now....