Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr J3 Cub Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:44 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr J3 Cub Cowl

If anyone has built this plane b4, what size screws did you use to attach the cowl? Just very small wood screws? Also did you put the battery & receiver in the suggested location?
Thanks for your time!
Joe
Old 06-25-2004, 06:18 PM
RYANO218

Default RE: Herr J3 Cub Cowl

I just used some small wood screws that came in the kit.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:48 PM
MikeSell

I used socket heat sheet metal screws. They look like wood screws but the diameter of the threaded part stays the same size except at the very tip. Fiberglass the inside of the cowl or you will wish you had. I put all my gear as far forward as I can and installed a small tailwheel.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 PM
DustOffUH1

Thanks very much for the help & advice. Thanks for the tip about glassing the inside of the cowl. I didn't even think about that.
Joe
Old 06-26-2004, 10:26 PM
MikeSell

My original cowl is still on my first Herr Cub. It took some damage before I glassed it from a bad launch. The plane has over 15 air hours on it and sits in storage until I decide to fly it again. My second Herr Cub got the clipped wing, no dihedral, and ailerons treatment. Much more fun to fly but it has about as many air hours on it as the first. It is due for forward covering replacement. I scratch built a Citabria to replace them and it is awaiting maiden flight. I've only put up six new planes this year so far..
Old 06-27-2004, 09:25 PM
DustOffUH1

Default Wing building question

OK. I'm stuck now. I think it might be a mis-print in the instructions, but I'm confused. I'm up to
"Building the Wing" #42: Cut two pieces of the 1/4" * 1" tapered filler strip and glue into position between the top and the bottom trailing edges on either side if the center w-5 rib. I can't find what I have in bold. Is it just the 1/16" * 1" strips? Also what are the "A", "B", "C", and "D" parts made out of?
Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
Joe