Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NC Sml Brd Flyn - information

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NC Sml Brd Flyn - information

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Sml Brd Flyn - information

JCAC Sml Brd Flyn – Sunday, July 25th, 2004

Years from now the chronicles will record this as a day when many happy, carefree residents of North Carolina got together to simply share their leisure time flying small model airplanes. Some people would say that they are just silly men trying to relive their boyhood days. Some people would say that they should spend their time doing something more useful, like playing golf or watching racecars on TV. Jeeze.

But no, these boys with their toys march to a different drummer. They look upward into the blue Carolina skies and see things what other people do not. (No, they are not hallucinating). Some of the things that these men watch in the air are large and powerful. Some of them are much smaller and make a different sound. It is these sml brds of which we speak.

On this day, Sunday July 25, 2004, these stouthearted men will risk painful finger cuts suffered while flipping small, sharp propellers. “Ha”, they laugh as they poor CA glue on their wounds. They will eat burnt hamburgers instead of the healthy salads their wives prefer. They will fly their non-ARF models (yes, they actually build the models themselves!) through intricate and risky maneuvers – caring not for contact with the unyielding ground. But they will speak freely of projects past and future… They will do all these things in celebration of true miniature flight.

They bend to few rules, these Small Birdmen. They acknowledge no span limits! They acknowledge no speed limits! They will tolerate no weight limits! But they do prefer the unique sound of a small displacement engine (say .15-ish and below) – as well as similar-sized electric motors.

These free spirited flyers seldom bow to the organized activities others pursue. But they may chase a streamer or round a pylon or land on a spot if the mood strikes them. But, then again, they may not. They may show up at the JCAC field sometime around 9:00. But, then again, they may not. They may eat burgers around noon. But…

They WILL show an AMA card to fly and make sure that they have their frequency pin in hand before turning transmitters on. Hey, they may be free spirits, but they ain’t dumb.

They may bring non-small planes to fly. Hey, that’s OK too. All that IS required is that all who come, enjoy the Sml Brds with us.

Directions can be found at the JCAC website http://www.jcac.netfirms.com/.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NC Sml Brd Flyn - information

Hey Raymond, looks like I can make it. Hope to bring out a few newe toys as well. Got the Delta back together after a full speed crash test! Required by AMA?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56279.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	148917  
Old 06-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Bob,

I was just telling a lady that works for me yesterday about your delta!!!! I am glad to see it back in one piece..and it looks as good as new!!!

Later,
Tim
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, were you one of the ones they tried this on in the army Sargent Pepper?, theres one guy in beginner I think that has an ending line in his signature, that I read and laughed so hard......"its like a Koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain" ,,ah but alas you do have a gift with the wording Ramond, if I can, I will make it,, your flyin friend..Rog
Old 06-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Bob,

You've gotta get me those plans/templates so I can get one built before the fly-in... I'll even cut some wings for those who might want one... lemme know..

Dan..

aka deadstik....[8D]
Old 06-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Like whoa, that is one good looking delta, but wait, its one that Bob built - no wonder.

I have a flat plate delta with a Big Mig .061 in front. Not near as pretty as Bob's (duh) but it do move out. Short flights though. That tank/mount doesn't provide for a whole lot of go juice.

How did that bear get in the guys head? Do all Koalas deficate in color or was it just this one? Makes you wonder what it smells like. Cough drops probably.

Well, when we get together on the 25th we can talk about the bear-thing some more.

Oh oh! I just made the connection with the Lysergic, etc. compound. Shame on you for even thinking such a thing. I served with pride in the Army before there was any of that stuff. All I had for that kind of stimulation was un-homogenized, un-pasturized German beer. I haven't been able to consume any similar American product since without gagging. Therefore, I remain pure in spirit(s) as well as mind and body. As for why my words come out like they do, I think it has something to do with my mother's claim that she was abducted by aliens before I was born. I think the alien was actually just a Frenchmen - which still explains a lot.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I was worried for a minute!!!! The family and I are going to the outer banks the week of the 26th. I just knew if I told the wife I was driving 1/2 way there and back the day before we leave I would be sleeping with my beagle outside.......well the hand of lady luck has slapped me straight across the face and it looks like my wife has a meeting for her side job(Passion Parties) on the 25th right there in Smithfield/ville..heck what ever is the town right there!!! So I told her "WOW honey the NC SMALL FLY BOYS are having a gig that day right there too". So it looks like I have to get the Sniper fixed and ready to go!!! I guess we will spend the day in the area flying micro sized buzz bombs,she has here deal in the afternoon and we'll get to Rocky Mount to spend the night and head the rest of the way to Nags Head on the 26th!!!! I love it when a plan comes together!

LAter,
Tim
Old 07-18-2004, 05:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to join in the fun but Smithfeild is just too far accros the yard for me to go for a fly in. But a Passion Passion party[sm=eek.gif]...Hmmm.

Tim, I was coming through Concord on Tuesday and was thinking about looking you up to see some of that trick anodizing. PM me you number so I can. Are you fishing at the Nags Head pier? Old Cpt. Andy sends me a card every year... I love that place.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vic,

Re Distance. Unfortunately, I am map-challenged so I don't know how far apart we are (I'm near Raleigh). However, if you do travel around the state and pass through this area once in a while, give me a buzz if you'd like to log some airtime here.

Re Flyns. If you can make it to ours, that would be great, but I do understand that it doesn't make sense to drive for more hours than you get to fly. Could you keep me/us posted on and Small events in your area?

Re Pier fishing. I try to get down to the Fort Fisher/Wrightsville area once a month (I said, try). I drown bait or cast in the surf for a while then camp out on the piers til its time to head home. That's 2 1/2 hours away for me. Nags head is 4 1/2 hours away.

Re Passion Parties. I just !QUOT!googled!QUOT! it. Woo Hoo.