Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

RX Antena Woes/ Question?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

RX Antena Woes/ Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX Antena Woes/ Question?

On a Ace Simple 400 I'm going to have 23" of antena wire hangin out the back if I don't do somthing about it. I've heard the term antena bobin used occasionaly, can I wrap some of the antena around a balsa scrap and secure inside the fuse? Will this cause problems? Any alternate solutions? BTW RX is a HT 555.

Thanks for any help.

Darren
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: RX Antena Woes/ Question?

Darren:

You can wrap a part of the antenna wire around a strip, about 3/8" wide. Wrap it in a single layer, if you have one turn on top of another it will really cut the range. The coil alone will cut the range too, but not as bad as having the winds overlap.

If you are distressed by the wire haning out the back it wouls be better to get a "Dean's" whip antenna, or equivalent. It's about 8" long, can be installed inside the rear body, and doesn't cut the range very much at all. You can get one for $10.

Bill.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about just wrapping it around the rear fuse two or three times and let the rest hang off the horizontal stab.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:21 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: RX Antenna Woes/ Question?

Lynn:

Wrapped around the fuselage? Don't you really think it would look nicer just streaming out behind the plane?

Bill.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably so. I guess I don't give it a lot of thought, I just have it wrapped around the horizontal stab on my Extra..... not a nice touch, now I will have to change it.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I have been using antenna "bobbins" made from scrap sheet balsa on several of my planes, and I have have good results. It is very important to make sure that there is no overlap in the windings on the bobbin, however. Overlaps will cause a BIG range reduction or erractic behavior. I leave about 12" trailing from the bobbin and protruding from the fuse, and haven't had any appreciable loss of range.