Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Foam flyers (chuck gliders) and .049

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Foam flyers (chuck gliders) and .049

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 02:33 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam flyers (chuck gliders) and .049

Almost a year ago, this thread came up, lots of great info as I recalled so since I'm off this week and the JKA trainer is getting a bit long in the tooth...well hanging over my head is the foam flyer I bought 08-03, I searched for the thread, found it and basically Dickeybird presented an entire thread on how to build one, started last night, and today as I write this it is done except I am waiting on the engine mount epoxy to dry so I can attach the engine, a tee dee .049 with a tank mount just for dickeybird (thanks for the help), coincidentally I have been carrying the August issue of Fly RC and thursday night at work, I picked it up and there is an article about making electric chuck gliders, and today the september issue came in the mail and it has AJ's column on the super tigre GS40.....will let ya'll know how it flys, hopefully tomorrow....Rog
Old 07-03-2004, 07:36 PM
rrragmanliam

Default RE: Foam flyers (chuck gliders) and .049

Cool Rog, Do let us know how it goes. I too have this on my "someday" list. How many channels?

Darren
Old 07-03-2004, 08:03 PM
flyinrog

hey rag, I got the engine on, it is 2 channel R/E/Wide Open..I may put a throttle ring on it depending on ow it goes,, or even my Norvel and tank mount on........Rog
Old 07-04-2004, 08:28 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rog, what did you do to keep the nitro off of it? What type of sealant/paint did you put on it?

phil in austin
Old 07-04-2004, 08:59 AM
rrragmanliam

Rog, Two channels is what I was thinking too. What plane did you use? Wasn't there something in the thread about not using the swept wing design?

Puff, If I remember right most of the guys building these used no peventitive measures on the foam. They just flew them and didn't have any major promlems. Of course these planes arn't designed to last forever.

Darren
Old 07-04-2004, 09:14 AM
flyinrog

you remember the old tootsie roll pop commercial, How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll? Three...well thats how many flights it takes to get to the center of a foam plane too, I guess I can epoxy it back together...its in 3 big pieces.. if I do fix this, I think I could have saved it if I'd had a throttle on it (keep that in mind)..the whole tail section started to flutter pretty badly..........Hey Phuff, I ordered one of those LB arfs you got, and a couple of props too.....Rog, I knew there was a sale, but didnt see that one...thanks

Yeah you dont bother covering the foam,, do a search in 1/2a for "foam flyer" its all there, pics and all, where to mount stuff Dickey bird was very thourough with his info
Old 07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

I know just what you need. You need an Ace High powered sailplane. Takes an 049 on a power pod and is almost indestructable. That way, you'll will be able to fly more than 30 seconds prior to "unplanned incidents". Has anybody got plans or a kit for one? If anybody has the plans, I'll cut Roger a kit and the wings for free. Just trying to help out a friend. Everything I have goes at warp speed... and not quite suitable for a trainer. Even my very fun to fly Cox Fairchild is not even close to being a trainer. It flies fast, glides fast, and does a heck of an avalanche for a 2 channel airplane! So... I look forward to hearing from some of you fine folks.

Thanks,

Deadstik...[8D]
Old 07-04-2004, 04:25 PM
flyinrog

Dan, you mean like one of those dyno'flite "piece o' cake" kinda planes?,,I should probably re-kit my whizzard (ace) and try that again....I just thought I'd try a quick cheap plane, I also went back to k-mart and w-mart and neither had the foamies left.....Rog
Old 07-05-2004, 07:57 AM
phuffstatler

Yep, those Ace-High gliders were cool. Two Ace wing sets, lots of 'hard' Ace balsa. Tough!

phil in austin
Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
flyinrog

Better the 2nd time around,, almost got through the tankful when the rudder hinge let go, I was doin a hell of a set of knife edge circles till the gyro effect came on and it nosed in,,broke in one place will epoxy and try again in the morning...it was flying good until that happened...hmmm what do I build next?....got the extra 230, or the spad gnat..?.....Rog
Old 07-08-2004, 01:43 PM
phuffstatler

The Extra 230 flies really well... I had an Enya .09 on mine, 4 channels, was a bullet! Scratch built it from scanned plans. Still got 'em somewhere. It died when my control horn pulled out of the 'too soft' 1/8" balsa elevator. Oops.

Or.....

You could try an experiment I did once... Take the Ace constant chord wing, build a 16" long cabin style fuselage (5" tall), put one half on the wing on top, and the other half on the bottom... [X(] Ailerons on the bottom wing only (It's PLENTY) and elevator control. Zero degrees all around on incidences. Had a screamin' Venom .049 on it. I called it the Half Squared. Never could that thing to hook up and scoot along well. I should try it again... [>:] Looked Cool As Crap!

phil in austin
Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

You need to get that TD off it's nose and mount your Golden Bee reedie on it. I think it would be alot for fun that way. And it would stay together longer

Later,
Tim
Old 07-08-2004, 02:10 PM
flyinrog

Hey Tim, I guess you missed the thread where I boogered up the cylinder on the goldie, I think its about ready to test run, anyway I put the throttle ring on the TD you gave me, but I didnt react in time to use it, anyway like I said it was flying good until the rudder let loose, I'll keep it this way........for now, heck the whole thing was experimental anyway,,til I decide what to build next.......Rog
Old 07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Yo Roger,

'poxy that thing together again and try mounting the prop backwards to reduce the thrust.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of those things. The plan was to assemble them and use floral spray to tell them apart and fly them with Golder Bees for full-contact combat.

Then those electric Fighter Birds came out and that sounded like a better idea.

So I have two of the whatever-they-sell-at-Wal-Mart gathering dust. I expect that I'll just let the neighborhood kids have a go at them some balmy evening.

Oh, the other thing about repairing foam models is to use popsicle sticks and fiberglass cloth to make a repair stronger than the original. Don't ask me how I know - but I can say that it worked for me more than once.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:53 AM
flyinrog

well, I glued it altogether, reinforced the rudder hinge and elevator hinge, took it out this morning, fired it up, it ran fine...about 2-3 minutes into the flight (and it was flying fine too) all of a sudden, I have no control?? lasted too long for a glitch as the nose went in hard at full throttle..I had slowed it down to about 1/2 throttle during the flight then went back to full throttle and a few seconds later wham! no control..It flew long enough that I had to drive over to pick it up, so I bring it home thinking maybe the servos stripped but, everything works fine now? its still in pieces but it works....I just got back from the old LHS and got some wheels for my simple series cap think, I'm gonna try that one next............Rog