Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Near Miss,Fatal

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Zeroman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near Miss,Fatal

I was returning home from a great day at my flying field.On the way home i was fighting to stay awake the whole trip back and the impossible happened, i fell a sleep doing 80 kph on highway # 4.Woke up a split second later to find myself in the other lane and had a head on collision.The other driver, my dog and myself all walked away with minor injuries.This is one of my worst nightmares come true, someone was watching over us.Both vehicles are right offs.Just a reminder lets all be safe on the roads.This is my first accident in 27 years of driving, so it can happen to anyone.If your ever fighting those ZZZZ,S pull over and take a break.The three of us are very lucky to be here.Be safe and have a great summer.Chris.PS some of my planes need a little repair LoL.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

Default RE: Near Miss,Fatal

Thank God you're okay as well as the other driver/passengers!!

I've pulled over a few times to catch some zzz's after a long weekend at a tournament and such, and know how it can sneak up on you.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:32 PM
XJet
Banned

Wow, not good news.

I used to do a lot of long-distance driving on a regular basis (early in the morning and late at night) so I know how easy it is to get drowsy behind the wheel.

Unfortunately those 10 minute "power naps" didn't work for me because as soon as I pulled over I found I couldn't get to sleep. So I always kept a No Doze caffeine pill or a can of something like Red Bull in the car. A good jolt of caffeine will last quite a while. Eating hi-calorie foods helps too -- and turn the stereo up real loud.

But best of all, try to avoid driving at the end of a very long day.

Anyway, as they say, any landing (or crash) you can walk away from...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Lynn S

I know what you mean about being watched over, except I stayed in my lane somehow. I was making a short 30min drive home in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. I felt a bit sleepy, closed by eyes without being aware that I did, the next thing I know I could hear the radio playing but I still had my eyes closed. I opened my eyes to find my left wheels on the center line. I have no idea how long I was asleep....several seconds at least.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I"m VERY glad it had a relatively happy ending to this story. Hope you recover completely and soon.

I know in these sorts of cases I've got a few tricks to keep me awake. Rolling the window down and turning up the stereo and SINGING along to the songs helps a lot. Or thinking about how our justice system is failing to protect the innocent and the victims is enough to get my redneck ways all fired up and from there I can't sleep.

But the best way is to not drive when tired. I've pulled over to power nap a few times. The change is enough to wake you but if you just close your eyes for 10 or 15 minutes it's often enough rest to continue.

Zeroman, hope to see you at the Mission Small Flyin.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow Chris! I'm glad everyone is OK.

I just saw a gadget in Radio Shack the other day that clips to your ear and if you start to doze off it sounds an alarm.

Here is a [link=http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=6313001&category=Automotive&catalog=RadioShack]link[/link].

I used to commute to Vancouver and I would often get very tired. Like Bruce mentioned, driving with the window down, the stero turned up and singing like a fool kept me awake on many occasions. Swearing at the traffic helped too!