Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

FIRE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 AM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRE!!!

So this weekend I am flying my wattage cessna (Norvel .061). The next thing I notice is a glow coming from inside the plane. What the @#% is that. (is my pilot toking up?) This is when I notice that I no longer have throttle control. I was at a little under one half throttle. I flop the plane on the grass and run over there and there is smoke coming out from under my wing[X(]. I fumble with the screw driver to get the wing off. The plume of acrid ozone smelling smoke wafts out. Wishing I had my fire extinguisher that is strapped to my cars roll cage now, but the parking lot is about 70 yards away. My throttle servo had caught on fire! Burned a hole right through the side of the servo. Turned the switch off on the battery and blew the fire out.

There was no real damage, but it could have been catastrophic had a fuel line caught fire.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: FIRE!!!

I'll bring the Marshmellows next time No really I had a Rx burn up on me once. It was in a 8 cell hydroplane I was building for the US speed record. I was makeing a couple of test runs and it stopped dead in the water and then smoke started pouring out of it. It made it through the bottom of the haul till water came in and wetted it down! I guess your servo shorted out so something, do you have any ideas what happened? Glad it's not to bad.

Later,
Tim
Old 07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's amazing that the little gws rx could pass the current to smoke a servo, and still the other two worked. WHat kind of throttle servo was that?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started back in rc, I bought a GWS parkflyer..the guy I bought it from was having a sale on batteries so I bought 3 for $20,, wrong connector,, so I shaved down the side so they'd fit my charger and painted the positive side with white paint....well, one time at the schoolyard I plugged in a pak backwards...........2 seconds,,horrible burnt smell, $45 (for a new rx) later I can fly again in a week,, that was an expensive/fast mistake..Rog
Old 07-12-2004, 05:36 PM
WRX

The plane had a GWS RX and the servo that smoked is a GWS Pico.
There was a 6 v battery attached for the flight

I assume Tim that you were talking of an outrigger. When it comes to boats and speed the outrigger is the only boat.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
XJet
Banned

I've lost a couple of control-line and free flight models to fire. Never prime one of those old open-port Cox 049s with the plug clip connected -- the first sign you're on fire is usually the smell of burning hair or the bubling of the paint :-)
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: XJet

I've lost a couple of control-line and free flight models to fire. Never prime one of those old open-port Cox 049s with the plug clip connected -- the first sign you're on fire is usually the smell of burning hair or the bubling of the paint :-)

Many years ago I was starting an inverted, fully cowled Fox 35 in a CL stunter when I heard a "Whumph!" As you say, the sound was followed by the smell of burning hair and the blackening and bubbling of the finish around the exhaust port. Fortunately I had a towel at hand to wrap around the nose and smother those invisible alcohol flames.

jess