Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.010 Pylon Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .010 Pylon Racing

Why don't they have a tiny pylon racing event. A while back, I saw a "Rivets" with an .010 in it and it was an absolute rocket. It looked like it had a wingspan of about 16 inches or so. Wowie!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: .010 Pylon Racing

HI STEVE! The .10 engine is kind of a forgotten size any more. You can get a .15 for about the same money and weight. It takes alot of effort to run just Q 500 and Q 40 events as it is, as well as find enough flyers and helpers to show up. If a bunch of guys wanted to organize an event with a $60 limit for the engine, with an few guidelines for the airframe that would be fun.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:58 PM
matchlessaero

CP, by the mentioned wingspan, I think he was talking about the .010 instead of the .10...

OK, I'll bite.... I have always wanted to do one since I first saw a tiny glass fused .010 powered pylon racer years ago. Some research last year turned up that it was made by JMGlasscraft and is still available.

On to my CAD screen to go figure out what I'll do......

Here's the rules....
.010 powered
Model of a real Formula 1 pylon racer......
Must be fast...

Dickeybird, are the gears turnin yet...? You know we have not raced each other in about 15 yrs. Somehow, I am thinking that the first race will take place after a Fantastic 12 on a cool autumn Sunday morning.....
(OK, guys, I know DB will whoop my butt, but you have to have someone to race against, and a little egging-on wouldn't hurt)
Old 07-17-2004, 12:17 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it at Little rock next year I'll be the tortus
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HEY MATCH! What's wrong with a .10 on a 16" wing? I would bet .010 pylon could be held at an empty K MART parking lot after hours, and just use the lamp poles to set up the course[8D]! If DB is going to be in on this, make sure to check his dimensions [if he starts dominating]. Now that he has a lathe, he might show up with a .015 .
Old 07-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Big Al-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: matchlessaero

CP, by the mentioned wingspan, I think he was talking about the .010 instead of the .10...

OK, I'll bite.... I have always wanted to do one since I first saw a tiny glass fused .010 powered pylon racer years ago. Some research last year turned up that it was made by JMGlasscraft and is still available.
(snip)
Jeremy, I think you are refering to John Fotiu's Micro Shark. If I start on mine NOW I might have it ready for next year's SMALL. But will probably have to delay the first flight of the day to let the glue dry. Been there and done that.
Missed SMALL this year, but looking forward to next.
al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96411.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	154416  
Old 07-17-2004, 08:49 AM
flyinrog

Well Steve see what you started now, I 've been trying to think of something to do with my .020...I dont know what CP has done with a .010, but between Match's Cap ,tied for first place coolest ever .010 mustang by non other than Mr. Big-AL, and throw Dickeybird's rear view mirror hanging .010 stick, (no kidding) wait no, it was a bipe stick.. for the tiniest/coolest award....I know there's others but those are the ones that my limited recall dredged up..I think I can machine a sleeve for an exhaust throttle ring for my .020 pee wee,,geez those things are getting high$$, and I do have a .010 tee dee....but am out of my league here with these guys..Hey DB, did anybody make a foam flyer with a .020?..........Rog

Oh there is a pylon (read screamer) plane in the RCM plans book for a RAZOR with a teedee .020 with elevator and aileron (one side of the wing only), no throttle, It is plan #1128 by Carl Dowdy
Old 07-17-2004, 10:39 AM
matchlessaero

Yup, Al thats the one! I would love to see what you could do with one of those...... I know it would be a sight to behold......
Old 07-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Wellll,

Here's my dos centavos. Options I would consider;

1. I have to build a replacement Littlest Stick one of these days. Maybe I could minimize the depth and width of the fuselage and build a spare wing with decreased wing span and increased (just a little) dihedral.

(Actually, I am considering a fleet of Littlest Sticks for part of the "Great 2004/5 Winter Project". .010s. .020s. and electric - Rudder Only, Rudder Elevator, Rudder Motor Ailerons, and Ailerons Eelevator. Aslo, after talking to Bob at Apex R/C I have been thinking about making an electric travel version for that would have a custom-fitted, high-quality, rare-wood case that would contain [at all times] a dedicated transmitter, extra batteries, and dedicated charger - for a complete, one-stop package. I this perhaps more than anybody would care to know? Did I get carried away? No, don't tell me - I can guess. But now that I've bared my heart to you all about this idea - whatcha think of having an always-ready, non-modeler-friendly, fly-almost-anywhere package?).

2. What about a purpose-designed high-wing, thin-symetrical airfoil, tapered, 13 in span, v-tail Speedo.

Scale racers don't appeal to me. I don't have a reason. Yet another flaw in my persona I expect.

Question; I wonder if you could race TD .010 and .020 designs together? How could the larger engines be handicapped?
Old 07-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

I would like to race my Cox .020 TD shrike w/ some of you guys one of these days either in NC or TN at one of your 1/2 A fly-ins. I also have a Littlest Stick bi-plane that I kit bashed from the mono wing w/ a .020 TD that would be fun to race. I am still looking for a plane for my Adams throttle equiped TD .010 and that Micro Shark looks like it would fit the bill. Anyone out there have one for sale? Dale
Old 07-18-2004, 12:37 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wing area and/or weight would be a way to handicap the larger engine.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:06 PM
flyinrog

Is there a site for that micro shark..I'm not having any luck findin it anywhere?///
Old 07-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Is there a site for that micro shark..I'm not having any luck findin it anywhere?///
http://jmglascraft.com/Models.htm
Old 07-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Dale,

You know that we would be happy to have you come down from beautiful downtown Stafford on the 25th to fly with us at the internationally acclaimed JCAC field near the bustling metropolis of Smithfield, North Carolina. It takes me five hours to get here from Stafford so I know its not a trip to take lightly .

I am sure that you can tell from the posts on this forum that our central NC dudes are just your average bunch of guys with a common interest in little (generally noisy) model airplanes. Well, come to think of it you couldn’t call any of them average - as in ‘normal’ – let’s just refer to them as ‘individuals’. Ok, Ok, most of them are downright weird. I think one of them used to be crazy but his medicine seems to be keeping up pretty well - but we worry that he might snap at any time. I, of course, am the only… well there is no need to go into that now.

Normally, (there’s that word again) I would invite you to enjoy our hospitality for both days of that weekend. Alas, since I am pretty much confined to my house for the next few weeks due to recovery from surgery I cannot personally extend such an invitation. The best I can do myself is just to be there on Sunday - as the president of the JCAC club (he really is a prince among us common men) has graciously offered to carry me to the field for the event.

I feel that I should put to rest any concerns about my health that members of our merry band who may be monitoring this post might be experiencing. I know that it may be hard for them to accept the fact that I needed any corrective surgery since no one could help but marvel at my exceptional physique. But years of extreme, world-class physical exertion have taken their toll and even MY joints couldn’t stand up to such rigors. Yes, it is often hard to be humble about my body but I have decided that there is no room for false modesty among friends.

Whew, that was fun. But seriously, Dale, there are some seriously experienced and talented fellows in this group that you couldn’t help but enjoy flying with – and very likely learn from. They have provided me with the inspiration to delve into areas (RO, Diesel, and ½A combat for example) that I doubt I would have considered otherwise.

I look forward to meeting, and flying, with you.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Raymond Thanks for the invitation to your fly-in and would think about coming, but I have a 1/2A race that same Sunday here at a local club.
There is another local small flyer that has said he would like to take a trip down your way for a small get together- so I'll ask for a rain check for a later date - maybe the Fall or a late summer get together. Let me know if you have another and we will try to get there. Thanks, Dale