Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

nitro nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 05:23 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro nightmare

been in the giant scale and wanted to try 1/2 got a sig nitro, new it would be a hard task but new and dont know much got a futaba reciver kit and it had no servo mounting hardware so off to tower and order 2 hitec hs-56hd servos things are getting a little better but these servos have screws but no groments do you just mount them to the ply and will viberation hurt them oh had to get some micro tools and it is fun when things fall in place but want this pettry thing to go well thanks had a post here with pictures and info but cant link it frank
Old 07-18-2004, 07:23 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: nitro nightmare

Frank:

I've been in giant scale, and wanted to try 1/2A. Got a Sig kit, knew it would be a hard task but I'm new and don't know much. Got a Futaba receiver kit and it had no servo mounting hardware, so off to Tower and order 2 Hitec HS-56hd servos. Things are getting a little better but these servos have screws but no grommets. Do you just mount them to the ply, and will vibration hurt them? Had to get some micro tools and it is fun when things fall in place, but want this pretty thing to go well.

Thanks, had a post here with pictures and info but cant link it.

Frank
Did I get it right, Frank?

If yes, it looks like you had only one question.

If you bought the Futaba system new, it should have included servo mounting grommets, ferrules to go in the grommets, and the mounting screws as well as a selection of servo wheels and arms. The Hitec servos should have had the equivalent parts. You need to fuss at the people you got them from, if they were represented as new.

And yes, vibration can hurt them, they need the rubber mounting.

Bill.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:03 PM
frank99

yes came from tower new both servos had only 4 screws and 2 horns the futaba servos hand nothing for the servos or the switch this stuff is so small !!but i think viberation will kill the servos thanks will contact futaba and hitec
Old 07-18-2004, 08:05 PM
frank99

here is a pic of the futaba
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60030.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	154946  
Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Lynn S

Frank99,

I have been using 3M mounting tape squares to mount the servo(s) to the side of the fuse. I have learned here on the forum to use a few drops of ca on the side that sticks to the balsa, then press in place. It it really holds.
The servo in the wing...I just use silicone bathtub calk in the foam wings to hold the servo in place.
Unless you have an engine that vibrates badly the servos should hold up ok.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Frank --

If I remember, I don't think the HS-55 ships with grommets, only washer head screws. However, if you will cut a piece of fuel tubing -- choose a size that is a snug fit in the mounting holes -- long enough so that about 1/16" extends above and below the mounting flange, then when you tighten the mounting screw, the tubing will bulge above and below the flange, acting like a grommet. The mounting holes are very small and you may need to enlarge them somewhat - forces on the servo will be small so you don't need to worry about the flange breaking off. You don't want the tubing to be so snug that it does not allow for some minor movement.

the "other" Andrew