Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Frist smaller plane

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Frist smaller plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:05 PM
mars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frist smaller plane

Hi, I have been considering building a smaller plane. The smallest Ive built so far is a Speedy Bee. Im looking for something that has trainer qualitys without the boxy trainer looks. 3 channels no ailerons, tough backyard/park flier, wet fueled, with a engine in the sub .15 scale. Im after a quality cut kit. Maybe can handle slight winds.
Any ideas?
Thanks amigos!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:27 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Frist smaller plane

I was looking for something to take to the football field when the days get shorter. I bought an Ace Simple 400 and a TT .07 engine for it. It looks like a fast build, foam wing. Three or four channel. Have fun
Old 07-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know if you like the look of old-timers, but a scaled down old timer like a scaled down Buzzard Bombshell or Jr. Playboy would certainly have all the qualities that you are looking for.

I built the Baby Bombshell from plans (see attached photo), it's a pleasure to fly and handles breezes nicely. With a Cox Texaco .049 I can get 5 minutes or so of powered flight, but an appropriately sized norvel would work also.

Spirit of Yesteryear manufactures several dozen lazer cut kits of 1/2A or speed 400 sized old timers, including the Baby Buzzard Bomshell, Playboy and Dallaire Sportster. If you don't want to go with a Cox motor, there are many alternatives but A Thunder Tiger .07 would probably suit an Old-Timer nicely. The TT .07 doesn't pull like the Norvels (Though I have never owned a Norvel), but it would be adequate, the break in is simple, it throttles very nicely and it is quiet.

That's my 2 cents, I'm sure you will enjoy whatever aircraft you settle on-these small models are a lot of fun.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20684.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	155975  
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
kingdom802
My Feedback: (5)

I second the Baby Buzzard Bombshell, this month's RCM has a listing for the plans in the back.
MARS, were you at the TEKE fly in last weekend?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:05 PM
norvelnut

How about the Ace Grasshopper with a Norvel .061, ar maybe a Cox Black Widow if you want it real simple.

I'm having a ball with it, but beware of sharp turns at low speed- it will go into an approach turn stall !!

Norvelnut[8D]
Old 07-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Lynn S

Hobby People has a 3 channel ARF trainer called the School Boy, They recommend a AP .09. You could probably use anything from a .074 Norvel to a O.S. .10
The polyhedral wing will make it a slow easy flyer. It uses rudder, elevator, engine.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:18 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does Spirit Of Yesteryear have a web site?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Ragwing

Spirit of Yesteryear does have a website, and I meant to include that in my post, here you go:

http://www.soy.on.ca/

Derek
Old 07-22-2004, 11:39 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Herr Starcruiser? I've got one sitting in the box waiting to be built, and it looks like it couldn't get much simpler--looks like a squint-scale cessna 172. It's spec'd for 3-channel r/e/t control.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
mars

ORIGINAL: kingdom802

I second the Baby Buzzard Bombshell, this month's RCM has a listing for the plans in the back.
MARS, were you at the TEKE fly in last weekend?
Wow great response everyone!
No, I was unable to attend Ron's annual fly-in (work). I heard from Bruce S. that it was fun. I dont really have anything electric ready to fly yet anyway. My 2m elec/sail is still on the board. The rest of my stuff is gas or sail. I live in Fairplay and do quite a bit of sail flying.
I really like the look of that little plane though.
Only 5 mins flight time? What size tank? I was thinking 20+ mins of leisurely flight.
I have always liked the looks of "old timer" planes. Bombshell looks perfect.
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Ragwing

Mars,

I'm getting 5+ minutes with the integrated 8cc tank that is on the Cox Texaco .049. Using a norvel or TT with an external 2+ oz tank would allow for even longer flights.

Derek
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Norvel .061s get 13 to 14 minutes wide open on a 2oz tank using 25% nitro. With 15% nitro and lower throttle settings 1/2 an hour wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mars, many folks accept the limited engine run for Texaco type flying because they like the idea of grabbing some altitude and then gliding for thermals. With some thermal help there is NO limit. The magic Texaco formula is 16 to 19 oz, an 8 or 9x4 prop, 3 EXTRA head gaskets and low nitro fuel for a long putt-putt uphill glide style of climb. The 8cc Black Widow style tank can easily give you about 5 minutes of run time.

Another fine idea for sportier flying would be either a Norvel 049 to 061RC engine or a Cox product engine and throttle sleeve with a Fuji film cannister tank. That'll give you 10'ish minutes of run time and all the slow touch and go's your frail heart can stand. And near the end of the fuel you throttle up and grab 600 to 800 feet of climb and then shut it down for a long glide.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:43 PM
SST

My Norvel .049 (on it's first 10 minutes of run time) on 15% Omega with 3 shims turns a 8X4 Cox gray at 6500 rpm for 7-9 minutes (sorry, no sweep-second on the Timex travel alarm I have in the garage, so these would be the extreme possible spread) on 1/2 oz of fuel!