Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Double Ported Golden Bees won't run well

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Double Ported Golden Bees won't run well

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 12:42 PM
V. Sharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Ported Golden Bees won't run well

This old timer needs HELP!!, PLEASE!

Although I have been messing around with these little engines for 40 years off and on, it has been much too long since I have run them. They have been cleaned and re-assembled, with new gaskets and reeds.

Engines start fairly easily, and I set the needle valve to a rich two-cycle (breaking back and forth). When I release the plane, they run about one lap like a scalded dog, then lean out and die, time after time. The fuel is Byron 25% nitro, 20% castor. Any ideas why I can't get a consistent run??

Thanks,

V. Sharp
Old 07-25-2004, 12:51 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Double Ported Golden Bees won't run well

What size prop?
Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 PM
V. Sharp

Re: prop sizes --

have tried Cox black 6X3, Cox grey 5 1/2X4, Graupner 6X3, all to the same effect.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:13 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the fuel pick up tube on the outer edge of the tank, so it gets fuel when the fuel all sloshes to the outside of the plane, away from the (control) lines?...or The tube could be hard and leaking at the nipple so when it's sitting on the ground getting adjusted full of fuel it's fine, but going round, the engine starves as the nipple sucks air.. you are talking control line right??
Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 PM
V. Sharp

Both Controlline and R/C -- I have reintroduced controlline to a bunch of R/C fliers, and am flying a 24" 2-channel biplane that I built in 1978. Having the same problems with both!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A close inspection of the piston and liner with a jewelers' lens can show up some pretty ugly stuff. If you prime the engine, bring it up to compression and hold it there, the cylinder should stay pumped up for at least 5 seconds. If it passes this test, then you have something to work with. I have worn out a few backplate/needle valve seats and small fuel tubing over the needle has bought me more time before the part was totally useless. The torque applied to the screws when the engine is reassembled can cause random airleaks. A crankcase pressure test with a blow tube hooked up to the intake, and duct taped exhaust ports might reveal a leak. If you get bubbles out the front bearing, it's time to pick another engine up from an auction website!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:22 PM
V. Sharp

Thank you all very much -- I will try all of the above!

I really appreciate the assistance, guys!
Old 07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi Vaughan, welcome!

Good suggestions were given already but you also might try less prop load. Those props you mentioned are a pretty big load. Try a 5x3 Cox black or it's equivalent. The 25% nitro without extra head shims at our altitude might be causing overheating. Less prop load and/or 2 or 3 more head gaskets might help. Also the little venturi gasket has to be fresh for the reedies too run.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:35 PM
V. Sharp

Dickiebird --

I have added a head gasket, a smaller prop and a fuel line seal on the needle valve, but I will have to wait until I can get to a hobby shop for a new glo head, (only have a couple of TD high compression heads left) some more head gaskets and fresh fuel -- I have let kids have most of the 1/2 A stuff I have had over the past year or two. I feel as though I am on the right track to get my last two engines running right!

Thanks -- will keep everybody posted on my progress.

V. Sharp
Old 07-25-2004, 10:51 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What gets confusing is when there is about 6 things that are wrong at the same time!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vaughan,

Check the seal on the venturi tube between the backplate and the tank. These are easily pinched or lost. I think this is what DICKEYBIRD was referring to. A small "O" ring or section of fuel tubing can be used as a replacement.

George

Edit: Additional thought. Once you have made the changes, run a full tank of fuel without releasing the plane to see if it will bench run.

Edit2: Just realized I mis-typed your name Vaughan...sorry.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
V. Sharp

GCB --

I make venturi seals out of silicone fuel line and a brand new razor blade. It squeezes down to a good seal -- been doing that for years. Have ordered lower compression heads and more props, will have to wait for smaller props to try much more. (85 miles to the nearest hobby shop.)

Everybody has given me a lot of great ideas to try! I really appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Another common problem to the reed valve engines that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is a spinning needle valve. Over the years metal fatigue weakens the needle valve spring and they can spin causing a rich or lean condition. The fix is as simple as a new spring or a good tug on the old one.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:31 PM
V. Sharp

Fireman, I hadn't tried that one, but I think the fuel tubing over the whole needle valve is helping hold the needle valve still -- that might be one of the reasons I got a better run after I tried all of the above and reassembled the engine! Just waiting for a lower compression head and smaller pitch props now. Thanks! Not quite there yet, but getting better!!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:48 PM
V. Sharp

Fellas --

Just one more question - (like Columbo, probably) -- which exhaust set up will give the best performance, exhaust facing front to back, or exausting out the sides?

Thanks,

Vaughan
Old 07-28-2004, 10:37 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think it will matter much if any. Besides, I doubt you'll really have a choice in the matter as the cylinder screws into the crankcase and wherever the threads stop will determine what position the exhaust is in.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:19 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, you can grind or mill off the top of the crankcase a bit and/or adjust with gaskets. Just be careful that you get the surface lined up perpendicular to the crankshaft (not tilted in any way). Also be aware that you are altering port timing when you do that...and add head gaskets if you lower the cylinder.
By doing this you can adjust the max power for higher or lower RPM (Affects prop size). Is it worth the effort? Only you can answer that.
For most (including me), fireman has it right.

George
Old 07-29-2004, 12:02 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I seem to recall that some testing was done with the exhaust openings at various orientations to the airflow and it was found that their was very little difference. I do seem to recall that fore and aft was best.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:26 PM
V. Sharp

B. Matthews --

Thanks for the info -- Both of the engines I have left are exhausting from the sides, and I figure it ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it! I have just received heads and props in the mail, and am going to continue trying to get good runs. (OH, for the good old days when everything worked the first time!!) Or so we thought!
Thanks,

Vaughan
Old 08-13-2004, 05:39 PM
V. Sharp

To All -- you have been a great help!

A little follow-up -- Good weather in Ky. and a a LONG honeydo list have slowed progress :-)

I have broke the engine down, and reassembled it with careful attention to all gaskets and seals, have a piece of silicone tubing over the needle valve, 2 gaskets under the replaced, now standard, (not high compression) head, and made sure the fuel pickup was where it is supposed to be. Fired it up a few minutes ago, and got a flat screeming full tank run on a Cox 5 X 3 prop.
Will try to fly probably Sunday. Thanks again, fellas!!!

Regards,

Vaughan Sharp