Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NC Flyn report.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Flyn report.

“It was a dark and stormy night”. These words have nothing to do with what actually went on near Smithfield, North Carolina on July 25th. But for some reason they just popped into my head and so I will use them to give you a mental picture of the atmospheric conditions that prevailed throughout the day. Well, the “dark” part anyway. And as far as that goes, it never really did “storm”. So, skip the “dark and stormy” stuff. Let’s try “cloudy” instead. That takes care of the weather.

As for the attendance - the names will be changed to protect the innocent -, I can only speculate that the weather played a part in keeping the more timid among our merry band from showing up. I would never point fingers but D** and Br*** you know who you are. Others already had dispensation and are forgiven. So it was up to T** and new groupie Mike to bear the brunt. Pitman Andy (remember him from the frantic all-up-land-pit-launch from last year?) did his thing and R** (that’s me) smiled and looked wise. T** flew his Viper original aileron/elevator design – it flew as good as it looked (once the nose weight was re-inserted). Mike (who will now be known as M*** to protect his identity) had a Pee Wee-powered scratch-built Littlest Stick and a foam pseudo-Mustang. R** brought a TD .020 original (known as Hoot because it is), an .061-powered delta and a .049 Lil Stick. None of which were flown due to a medical consideration.

Unfortunately, “normal” activity this day included the destruction of two 1.2-sized models – one due to mechanical difficulties and the other attributed to thumbs. Of course this wasn’t done for the entertainment of our Sml Brd group but I couldn’t help but recall the times (once or twice) that I have performed similar less than elegant maneuvers with an .010 or .020-powered model, shaken the dirt off, and re-launched. That and the fact that I could fly for a couple of weekends with the amount of fuel they used for one flight, has convinced me to continue to build and fly these little delights. Even though I had been thinking of devoting my future modeling activities to the development of our club’s first gas engine-powered, IMAA ornithopter.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NC Flyn report.

Guys, I thought about you several times this afternoon.[sm=stupid.gif] I hope all had a great time. I took out my GWS Tigermoth and flew in the street in you honor! Thanks for the post R***[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, I'm just asking out of curiousity, was Prole or Jboy there? I havent heard from either for a while, Jboy wanted a kit I have and I was gonna meet him over the 4th, but havent heard from him or seen him on here since about that time or Prole either and he rides with Jboy...Rog
Old 07-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Rog,

Neither Prole nor Jboy was present. I'm hoping it was just the threat of bad weather that kept them away. But I have to face the fact that it could have been me that they were avoiding. Yes, I know what people say behind my back. "Why does he make us salute before launching and stand at attention while flying – and what is this pushup thing"? Well, you will thank me some day when giant scale modelers look at us with awe and respect and say, “wow, look at those guys” – without laughing.

If we can have a group hug at Deadstick’s event in August all will be forgiven.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Raymond,

I am TRULY sorry I wasn't able to make it.[&o] Beleive me I wish I was there clouds or not! My daughter came down with a terrible cold that kept us both awake for the better part of saturday night...loads of fun. At four o'clock in the morning while y'all were sleeping soundly (and Roger was working) I was laying on her bedroom floor wondering if she would be going back to sleep any time soon! If the baby ain't happy,ain't nobody happy! Needless to say, I wasn't up for much flyin'. I hope to catch you all at the next one.

Brian
Old 07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Brian,

I can recall many nights spent caring for, and worrying about one or the other of my daughters when they were little. So I can sympathize with your too-short (or is it too-long) night.

I have a feeling that Dan will have to put up with a swarm of us at his upcoming Flyn. See ya then.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

What the heck happened to everyone? Fireman you are off the hook with a sick little one!!!! Though I was up late making you a set of TD /PeeWee .020 spinners for you Dan...Dan....Dan.....where the heck is the guy? I worry about John myself. He hasn't post on RCU since the 6th or so of this month. I got to the field at 10:30am or so and no one was there. I put on 3 flights of the Sniper, the first ending with the plane going straight in deadstick into the soy field. Oops I forgot my balance weight in the nose. The other two went fine. Just didn't feel much like flying without the other 1/2a guys there[] The big planes in the air scare me. Though I did get to see 2 big ones rekitted! It was good to see Raymond. I hope his knee is feeling better real soon so he can get back to playing with his airplanes again. Well I hope to se evryone again at the next NC SMALL Flyn.

Later,
Tim
Old 07-29-2004, 10:23 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Oh geez, Tim, now I really feel bad! I hate you put so much effort into getting those spinners for me. Don't worry I'm gonna take em off your hands. I hope to be sending you a couple of engines to anodize soon. I just can't seem to part with them...they're flying my planes! Where do I send them?

Sorry again,
Brian
Old 07-29-2004, 12:00 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, I wish I was there. Hopefully the wife has finally gotten ahead on her illness. Sorrow for such a low turn out. Raymond has a great place to fly. I had planned to get my Nephew started in RC. He flew controline with me years ago and now wants to try his hand at RC. He built this little Minnie Mambo with a black widow and throttle sleeve for his first trainer and I was hoping to bring him to Raymond's to show him what 1/2A was all about. Maybe this weekend I will take him out. Can you tell he is a Carolina grad with those colors?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50769.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	158626  
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Guys,

Quit beating yourselves up about not being able to make the July Flyn. I don't (sniff) take it personal - really. Its just like my dear old grandmother used to say...

"If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."

So let us not be wishing for what could have been, but verily let us resolve to anoint Dan with all of our presences next time.