Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tiny Pylon Racers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiny Pylon Racers

Anybody been mind thrashing rules for a tiny pylon race event?? It seems to me that the .020 would be the size to go. JMGlas has a Cosmic Wind kit(glass fuse)with a 24 inch W.S. and A 30 something W.S. The 24 incher would be a great class for .020's I would think. Someone mentioned a minimum wing area rule which sounds good along with a requirement that it be modeled after a real racer such as the Cosmic Wind, Rivets, Shoestring, etc. It just sounds like an inexpensive to race! Keep brainstorming!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:34 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiny Pylon Racers

Not everyone has, or even wants a .020. I know I wouldn't be interested in going that small, but I do have 4 Norvel .049s. The .061 has trivialized the .049, but I think that there needs to be more attention paid to REAL 1/2a design. I'd like to see more stuff that will really fly and fly well without the need to bump up to .061. It seems that many of the designs touted as 1/2a really don't fly well with .049 power.

BTW, I have this little plane that I'm actually afraid to try, but I had to have. I figure that if I can ever fly this, I can fly anything. Don't know the name, I just call it the Lawn Dart. Bought on eBay,against the day I'm good enough...
Old 07-26-2004, 06:11 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Doug, I am right with ya on building one and not being sure it will fly. I have a Simple Series Me 109 with an ASP .09. When I was running in the engine it just felt too weak to do anything.

BTW have you done anything with the Lyka Jet??
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I have been think-building through a .010 pylon racer again a lot since that first post went up about it a week or two ago.....

I think you are right that it should be an .010 powered only plane, and should resemble a full-scale pylon racer. At this size, I think minimum aerodynamics (what it would take to get a plane in the air) would define the rest of the rules....

Personally, I have thought about building a tiny Nemesis, but the Rivets idea sounds neat too.... matter of fact, I bet that cache of peanut plans I have would be a good starting point for scale outlines... scale them up 25% and go from there...

Too many projects on the board right now, but I will do this one eventually....
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

And it will blow everyone away when he does!!!! Trust me.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Vic, I haven't gotten around to the Lyka Jet yet, as I have a couple of projects still to finish yet. Since you sent those plans though, I've finished three and only have 3 left Here's a couple of them, a 6 foot long sorta B-70 SPAD, and a foam & coroplast giant ( 8 foot span ) SST.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45650.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	157437