Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 08:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK?

I don't know about you guys, but it seems that there is an abundance of people who "pop in" here with a need for advice, or to show off a project that is in the works [no JM, I'm not talking about you], but there is a lack of those who will check back in with a report about how everything worked out, and maybe with [even] a little bit of thanks!

I recall a young guy named CODY who had a scratch build going. He was also going to teach himself how to fly. Lots of us guys chimed in to help him.

A guy from Norway or Denmark, named MATTI had a neat looking 1/2A speed ship. I would REALLY like to hear how his plane turned out. If I recall he had a design flaw to work out, then he was going to post pics, results and maybe a simple drawing.

These are just a couple of examples that come to mind right now. It sure would make this forum more interesting than it is already if the people who come here in need of information and advice would give something back to the community and let us all know how everything worked out, good or bad.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK?

I noticed that last year, they will gets tons of help here and you don't get a thanks or another post from them sometimes. I'm thinking they don't follow through and finish or even start the model.
Also,we have some really neat guys to show up once and then you never hear from them either. If some of those guys are lurking, please let us know what you are up to.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not just here. I see this at a number of other forums as well. It often seems to be the shy ones as well. I guess they figure they don't want to chew up our bandwidth or something.

And for any of you that are reading in PLEASE post back with a finish. It's only good manners and helps us to know if what we toss out is worthwhile or not.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:20 PM
dawie22

aye, im not that good, i will help where i can or unless i can add to another post, but simply:

THANX PEOPLE........... and remember knolage is power (hehe the corny bit)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:28 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2004 finds me realizing that I have been talking in Internet forums/ chatrooms for 8 years or more now..... good golly....

What you described CP, is the same thing that I have seen all those years.... Kind of like a highway bar. There are a handful of regulars who always throw in their 2cents, and a bunch of transients who in reality are just 'passin through'.

I'd like to know what happened to them too though. There's something to be learned from everyone ya meet.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:51 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Personally, I always watch this forum, and I have asked a few questions on occasion, but I just don't like posting for the sake of posting. I have been fooling around with a few old babe bees and product engines, but I have not had the time to put them in an actual flying airframe. Matter of fact, I've only gotten about 5 glow-powered flights this year (all on a Sig LT-25 with a Fox .40); the rest have been with electric planes, about twice a week. The way I see it, why should I bother posting every time I have a question about an engine I'm not ready to run yet or a plane I don't have the time to build, when I can sit back, read, and learn from what you "regulars" post?--frankly, you guys amaze me with your ingenuity, so the stuff I build and fly seems shameful by comparison. I promise, though, when I re-enter the 1/2a flying arena, I will post pics and thanks where due.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Lynn S

aye,dawie22?? as in aye laddie.
Do we have a Scotsman with us? You are welcome to post away!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Lynn S

Ooops, you can zap this one, Bruce
Old 07-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Mopzilla

aww, makin' me feel guilty

I'll stick around..
Old 07-31-2004, 02:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There's nothing wrong with lurking and soaking up the knowledge. It's the folks that start a thread and let all the answers come in but often never respond to say thanks or that they even saw what everyone offered. I assume they read the replies but then don't chose to answer. Oh well.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Japanman

[no JM, I'm not talking about you ],
I should hope not! I`ll be SURE to tell you how it flys!

What you described CP, is the same thing that I have seen all those years.... Kind of like a highway bar. There are a handful of regulars who always throw in their 2cents, and a bunch of transients who in reality are just 'passin through'.
Thats how it seems to me too.

J.M
Old 07-31-2004, 04:08 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Feedback is the godawful screech you get when the gain on the PA amplifier is set too high.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:50 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Call me cynical, but I see these posters come here time after time with the same old questions, because they refuse to trouble themselves with a search. How many dozen times have we seen guys asking how to tint canopies, fer Pete's sakes, and I see the same guys come back with half a page of instructions on rit dye hocus-pocus (can you tell I'm a transparent paint man?), and there's usually the same lack of response from the poster. I'm sorry, but after a while, I run out of patience. I get tired of answering the same question six dozen times, so I often quit responding. I'm not concerned with the lack of a pat on the back, that's not why I'm here. But I do get chuffed at wasting my time being an easier way than a thread search.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:35 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that Matchless is right, there is a group of regulars who are always sharing their expertise ( I learned a lot in this forum and I´m very grateful) and some people that sometimes make a question in particular and then disappears, a little "thanks" doesn´t hurt anybody. Regards.

Claudio
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

On behalf of RCU I'll thank all who respond - without you there would be no RCU anyway.

Bill.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

SST: I think you're right--too many people do not perform a search before asking questions, but (there's always a but) I have found the search tool on RCU to be virtually garbage since the site makeover last year. I still try it before posting questions, but here's an example: I have a Tee Dee .020 on the way, so I needed to see what kind of props people are using on these. My search for "tee dee .020 prop" yielded NO results on standard search, and 6 pages of results using the advanced search--only problem is that the info I needed, if within those six pages at all, was buried somewhere on page 4 of an 8 page thread listed on page 2 of the results--the uninitiated would certainly be turned off by this and give up searching. I can only speak for myself here, but my expereince suggests that this MAY (or may not) be part of the reason for so many questions being asked repeatedly. Anyways, thanks to all the posts I've read on this forum, I've got two norvels, an os .10, and a few coxes waiting for me to build them airframes, and I wouldn't want it any other way--thanks guys. How's that for feedback?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:48 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I too get tired of answering the same "stupid" questions over and over. I have found that sometimes the person I enlightened shares their new found knowlege with the new questioner. I like the curious and anxious for knowlege. It gives me a warm feeling when they learn and grow in the hobby. Isn't growing and furthering the hobby what the AMA is about?
I don't expect a thank you if my comments help someone. If I was thanked for everything i do I'd faint. I am satisfied if no one tells me I'm full of S***
Old 07-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Lynn S

This is a little off the topic, but I think it would help to steer the electric plane post(from new posters) to the electric forums with a sticky at the top of the page.
I hate to see these guys post a message about their pride and joy and get no response. It would sure save them some time and effort.
I know we throw in some electrics now and then, but this is usually from the regular posters here.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:44 PM
gusman

Hey
I'm still here and i'm like Matt Smith. I read almost every post. My last design was a failure because i couldn't find a way to make everything fit in the fuse. So now i'm in the process of designing another small plane for my AP .061 and hs-55 servos and electron reciever. Thanks for all the information. My plane is going to look something like the Northeast sailplane products accord 2. its hard to design a plane- especially without a computer program. Another reason i haven't been here for a while was i forgot my password. anyway you people have always been helpful to people like me. Thanks. I'll try to let you know if my plane ever gets built.
Gus
Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my work, I get asked the same questions time after time, so repetitive questions here don't really bother me - I think of it as job security.

While I use the search engine, it's not one of the best and seems to miss more than it hits -- in looking for the post on vacuum forming by Bipe Flyer, had I not known the author, I wouldn't have found it -- the "exact match" function is a little flakey.

There's such a massive knowledge base here that it can be a little daunting -- I learn something every day. It's not that the posters are engine experts; they build, anodize and review them (and make machine tools to do it). It's not just a question of tinting canopies, it's how to vacuum form them. Composites, foam, servos, radios, chargers, .... there's someone here that knows a great deal about the subject. So I can understand why some readers may not post updates on their work -- I usually feel the same way -- I've got nothing to offer that hasn't been done 9 times better by another.

However, like CP, I would like to know how some of the projects turned out, especially the construction.

the "other" andrew
Old 08-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Jim OHaver

Okay, here goes. Not exactly 1/2A, but close, at A size engine. My Ki-100, scratchbuilt at approximately 1/10 scale (45" span), with MVVS .09 diesel on 8x4 wood prop. Balsa/ply construction. Double-cover silkspan/silk & dope, Sig dope. Insignia is paint, not decals. 5 functions, Robart .20-size mechanical retracts. Final preflight for weight came out at intended target of 38 ounces for wing loading of 17 oz/SqFt, but balance showed very tail heavy, and beats me how it got that way, as I have been doing this for some years, and generally don't miss my target CG by much. Guess I must have miscalculated or was heavy-fingered on the airbrush valve when laying on color coats. Laid in some lead into the inside of the cowl., and bolted some across the motor bearers. Required 5 ounces (!) to get CG into range. Flying weght 43 ounces for test flight, which came (note past tense) to 19.5 oz.SqFt.

Takeoff roll looked good, rotate looked okay and felt okay. Needed down trim on the pitch, which was too sensitive, and felt a little soft in the roll access, but nothing monstrously unpleasant, when, at about 10 feet high, and still climbing out, it pitched up slightly, dropped the right wing tip, and rolled over, in what anyone would call a classic tip stall--only it didn't 'feel' like that; it 'felt' like I dumb-thumbed and pulled too much angle of attack, too soon, too low, too slow. But it certainly did feel "sluggish,' due, no doubt to being 12% over target weight--making the .09 just a tad marginal at my altitude of 5K feet.

Now what? It's repairable, but to what end? Only solution as I see it is to go up to a .15 diesel or .20 glow, which will solve the CG and power problem, but will simply turn it into a lead-slead. It'll never be the charmer that it would have been at 36-38 ounces. Iguess you can't win 'em all, but this gaff is, well, it's been a long time since I screwed up designt his badly. My post-partum depression is not in remission.

It looked better in these photos than it does now.

Jim
Old 08-01-2004, 07:32 AM
mclintock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now what? It's repairable, but to what end?
but--It's too pretty to hang in a TGI Fridays!

Maybe slice the fuse at or near the cowl rear and build an extender plug to lenghen the distance between the wing and engine... while you have your airbrush out for the other repairs.... scale profile to the wind tho.

Appears it's always the radials that hunger for lead.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Jim OHaver

It's athought, but then the model becomes just another sport scale model. Can't handle the sacrifice to fidelity. Another solution is to do the conversion backwards: the Ki-100 was a Ki-61 with a radial engine grafted on. Could go backwards, and graft the extra fuse length forward of CG back on, and covert back to inline Ki-61 "Tony." But, if I had wanted the Ki-61, I would have built that to begin with.

Oh, well, you can't win 'em all, and it's fun to build them, too. Next project is ...
Jim