Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Good day for Flying!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Good day for Flying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good day for Flying!

Well it's almost 90 out but the wind is light and I am on my second to last day of vaction so I got my flying stuff together and headed out. I put in a couple flights with the Sniper contest plane and then noticed a Redtailed Hawk in a thermal off a ways. I fueled up fast and got back into the air. I caught up with it as it was right over the top of where I was flying. It was a speck in the air, way up high. I ran out of fuel and worked the thermal with the hawk before I need to come back closer to the field. I landed and thought for a minute how cool that was. I refueled and was just going to zip around the field. Just after launch I catch the hawk out of the corner of my eye coming in behind my plane. We just sort of chased each other around for tank of fuel and then it was gone. Got in a bunch more flights and then I switched out engines to an engine I just rebuilt. It is the remains of a old Cox RR-1. When I received it, it looked like it had been at the bottom of a water bucket for a month. The crank is real bad and the rear drum bushing surface it even worse and has alot of play side to side. I tried to run it at Raymonds field last weekend but no luck. I finally got it to stay running with the needle opened 6 turns I think. I think I put in two runs with it and then called it a day. No "one more flight" curse for me! What a great way to spend an hour and a half.

LAter,
Tim
Old 07-31-2004, 07:42 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good day for Flying!

Good to hear man...wish I had something ready,but I'm getting there..been working on the lawnmower (snapper) for a week..rear end went out and 2 nights ago when I went down to work on it, found out during the really heavy rain my basement drain backed up and flooded the downstairs den...yeehaw..that will really funk up the house but good,,so planes are on the back burner,,,I started on the spyder,,course, I started on about 5 other ones too anyway,,glad you had a good day of flying and many more to ya....Rog
Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Lynn S

Yes it was, the weather clear and temp around 90. The wind picked up and my neighbor was mowing his yard (where I land)so I waited until he finished and the wind died down around 7 pm to fly. I still have the wiggle problem with the plane so it must be the aileron servo.
I spent the early part of the afternoon in the kitchen covering the fuse of the Simple Cub. I love that Cub Yellow. I hope to have some pictures soon.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beauitful day here in western KY -- 76, clear and very light breeze. Went out about 6:30 and had the field to myself -- got in about 30 minutes of air time flying my old HONKER. It's been re-engined to a NORVEL .061 C/L from COX B/W. Between the COX having a lot of time on it and the be improved performance of the .061 with a larger tank, it's a lot more fun to fly.

Tim, sounds like you had a great day, too.

Rog, my heart goes out to you [] -- water damage is a pain, not to mention the mess, mold and odor.

Lynn -- better swap that servo out before it goes from bad to "spin".

the "other" andrew
Old 07-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Lynn S

Andrew, Yep the servo was acting jittery on the ground this time so that must be the problem. I'm going to replace it. I may even try a full size futaba, I'm beginning to wonder about these small servos.

Rog, I had a Snapper (Comet?)once and gave it to my Mom who spent more money than it cost to keep it going. That transmission is really bad.
I've had better luck with a $799 Sears.

Talking about a great day....go out and look at the moon tonight...[8D]