Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

Both. Some fuel tanks give you a diagram of how to set it up. The most critical element when setting up your tank is to cut the line to the clunker the right length. Try to cut it so it doesn't touch the back wall of the tank. Leave it short about 1/16 to 1/8 inch.

Most plans will give you the proper height of your fuel tank. The basic rule of thumb is to mount the tank so that when the plane is level, the centerline of the fuel tank is at the same height or slightly lower (no more than 1/2") than the high speed needle valve. You should also keep the fuel tank as close to the back of the engine as possible so the fuel lines can be kept short.

It is also a good idea to wrap your tank in foam prior to installing it into the plane to prevent fuel foaming.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:38 PM
dawie22

O MY WORD!!!!!!!!

Wheres my Wood stack, i have an AME 0.49 RC that would be the dogs doogles in this...........

what can i say, BRILLIANT.....

will see if can build then post some pic's, Thank you

darv
Old 05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
dawie22

mnrcaerobat, when you say you built up the center section out of spare balsa, do you mean like a solid section, and then add the dihedral after this part...

this is the part I'm confused about?? the dihedral in the center section of the wing??

any help much appreciated..

darv
Old 05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use ailerons you don't need any dihedral, just built the wing as one piece.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:42 PM
dawie22

kewl, will give it a go
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
mevis

A great favor... somebody have kadet senior's plans(full size)??? I'm beging with a work about aircraft aerodynamics and I think that mathematic model of the Kadet Senior would be don't complex because it has a very good lateral stability.

Thanks...

Israel Hinostroza
[email protected]
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

I have the plans for a pusher type plane that would make a nice 1/2 a plane but know nothing on how to go by it its bigger brother was called the bigbro look something like a p38 all most same idea would be a great 4 channel stunt plane if anyone would like to use them was told to give to anyone pic in my gallery just copy the plans
Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 AM
dawie22

i have seen that plan and would make an interesting 1/2A, would just need reducing in size and lightened.

my Trainer is almost done, just on the back burner as haven't got much time at the moment, will finish soon

darv
Old 07-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Bipe Flyer

I just uploaded an updated version of the plan.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Cowboy88

How can I get the DX file for this plan? Is it posted somewhere here?

Thanks,

Cowboy88
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Hi there, I'm from Singapore and just getting into R/C airplanes - think 1/2A makes plenty of sense here since fields are small and winds are light. Electric is one option, but I like glow.

Keen to build my own LST; having difficulty with the power plant - I can get an OS .10 LA for less than an enya 0.09 over here. A Norvel .061 AME would cost almost double the OS! A cox medallion (throttled) would cost about the same as the OS. Parts for anything but the OS are iffy. Would the OS .10 LA be too much engine for the LST? Am prepared to go with the enya .09 as an alternative, but would this also be too much engine?

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
dieFluggeister

I think the .10 would take away from the best characteristics of the LST designed for a smaller engine, but that is not to say you could not change the scale of the plan to suit your most available power plant.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
efish

Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to try and get an enya 0.061 - just had a lead on where I might be able to pick one up locally.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Bipe Flyer

If you can't find something at a reasonable price, use the .10. I designed it to use up to a .074, which has as much or more power than an OS .10. You can always throttle back if you need to. Or, like dieFluggeister said, scale it up a little.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
efish

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes; I was surprised to see that the Norvel .074 actually puts out more HP at a higher RPM than the OS .10LA while weighing a good deal less. Anyhow, figure the extra weight of the .10 might be useful since I remember reading an earlier post that indicated the LST needed considerable weight on the nose to be added for it to maintain its designed CG.

I already have a .15 LA and am comfortable with it - starts real easily by hand too. Figured the .10 would be similar and a safer bet than getting something unknown.

Sadly, prices and support for anything except OS are a little silly over here.

btw has anyone used an enya .09 IV-TV? Think I can get one on clearance and it does weigh a little less than the OS .10LA. Dunno what its like in use though.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:54 PM
ptulmer

The OS .10la might not be a powerhouse, but it's dead reliable! Sounds like a good powerplant to me. Like Bipe Flier (the airframe designer!) says, don't forget you got a throttle!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
SGC

I'm not familiar with the enya 09, but I do have its bigger brother 15IV TV R/C and its really good a freind has the 19 and its also dead reliable. From what I can gather Enya motors are of very high quallity and very good sports motors , buy this I mean they generally have smaller venturies for there size , as a result outright power is slightly down on the competion BUT they throttle well and with the normal sports sized props performance is about the same as most.
They get a vote from me.
Stewart
Old 08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
efish

Thanks for feedback. Read somewhere that the enya .09 is very similar to the .15 and that they're both very good engines. Have nothing against enya - just worried about local availibility of parts. Over here, the .09 will cost just a little more than the OS.10LA. Tough choice....
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
D Bronk

Hi guy`s.. UNCLE D. wants to surprise the KIDs with this plane... Is the last posted materials list, sufficiant??

I want to use an 0.049 cox,the other engine I have given the boys.
" " " " my futaba 7chp and the the receiver that came with it,,127 DF
" " " " a standard size x3 servos AIERONS, rudder, and elevator,maybe a throttle too(unsure)

WILL this fly??maybe scaled up ,or down??

Could someone put the current revised plans, and any other, relevant up dates in here,PLEASE...I can`t get them to upload from the other links..I`m leaving for the hobby shop shortly ,and would like to have suggestions on what else should be purchased...I want to build this really quickly....I`m not going to envolve the KIDS on this one ,except to fly it..does this require an iron-on covering or is it a complete sheet-up.I really don`t have time to investigate right now and the store is a 2 hr. round trip. AXLE wheel.landing gear.whatever.Thank you I`ll be watching DAVE B.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:53 AM
dieFluggeister

Hey Uncle D.
Raidio and RX are good. I would highly recommend an engine with throttle (and servo) if it is going to be used as a trainer. A Norvel 0.61 would fit the bill. The 049 you have will probably fly it but you will want a light build and equipment. Servos of micro size (ex: hitec hs-81) are prefereable but standard size will probably work but you will be handicapped by weight. It is a coverable model and will take at least one roll of covering depending on color scheme.

Dont forget control horns, clevices, pushrod wire, aileron linkages, wire for gear, wheels, wheel collars, hinges, spinner, fuel tank, fuel line, battery, switch, velcro tape, rubber bands or nylon wing bolts, props... did I forget anything? Oh and pick up some extra epoxy and CA for me will ya?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

Hey Uncle D.
Raidio and RX are good. I would highly recommend an engine with throttle (and servo) if it is going to be used as a trainer. A Norvel 0.61 would fit the bill. The 049 you have will probably fly it but you will want a light build and equipment. Servos of micro size (ex: hitec hs-81) are prefereable but standard size will probably work but you will be handicapped by weight. It is a coverable model and will take at least one roll of covering depending on color scheme.

Dont forget control horns, clevices, pushrod wire, aileron linkages, wire for gear, wheels, wheel collars, hinges, spinner, fuel tank, fuel line, battery, switch, velcro tape, rubber bands or nylon wing bolts, props... did I forget anything? Oh and pick up some extra epoxy and CA for me will ya?

I`ve got.clevices,props, pushrod wire,battery, switch, velcro tape,AND hinges,.Going to use a film tank.WHAT SIZE wire FOR gear,(i`ll BUILD SOMETHING LIKE THE S.E.5a) wheels,and wheel collars? will use,nylon wing bolts
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

Hey Uncle D.

I`ve got.clevices,props, pushrod wire,battery, switch, velcro tape,AND hinges,.Going to use a film tank.WHAT SIZE wire FOR gear,(i`ll BUILD SOMETHING LIKE THE S.E.5a) wheels,and wheel collars? will use,nylon wing bolts
OH the CA, and epoxy, you can have that, when you come for COFFEE HOW about the wood list
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
dieFluggeister

PM'd you the materials list.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
D Bronk

Got it ..THank you... I`ll be leaving soon, and BACK in about 4,1/2 hrs, maybe this would be a good time to document a step by step for this plane what do you guy`s think. I`ll probably ask for advice from Y`all ,along the way,..BE real good for the begginers maybe..??? only thing is I want to blast through the job. D.B.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Bipe Flyer

Yes, please post construction photos.

If you are unable to download the plan from 1/2A all the way, use [link=http://www.donatelli.net/images/LST-½A-Trainer.gif]this link[/link].

There's no point in trying to post the plan on RCU because it will be reduced to 800X600, which is unusable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.