Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lickety Split!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 02:56 PM
dgliderguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lickety Split!!

Guys,

Just wanted to show you my new 1/2A racer. It's a "MOH" original design. MOH stands for "materials on hand", meaning the whole project cost me absolutely nothing out-of-pocket. (Don't it feel good when you can use all the scrap parts/materials you've saved over the years?)

My primary goal was to have a fast builder, since our club race is only a week away, so I came up with a five night design. I build between 8:30PM and 11:00PM, after the kids are in bed, so I had to be shrewd. Five nights means: 1) frame up wings, 2)fuselage/tail feathers, 3)servo/pushrod install, 4)cover, 5)tank, switch, CG, graphics. I figure it took a total of about 12 hours or so to build. The fuselage is 3/32 balsa sheet with corner longerons and 1/32 ply belly with 1/16 cross-grain top and bottom, wing is 1/8x3/8 spruce spar and 3/32 ribs with truss for anti-warp, tail is 1/8th sheet. Simple!

30" span
216 squares
6% flat-bottom airfoil w/ 30% break
13oz AUW
TD049, Cox 5X2 black nylon prop, hi-comp Cox head
270mah battery, balloon tank (non-pressured)

Should go fast enough to stay up with the pack, I hope! :stupid:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26867_558.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	16844  
Old 09-20-2002, 03:00 PM
dgliderguy

Default Lickety Split!!

Another...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26868_558.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	16845  
Old 09-20-2002, 06:58 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Default Lickety Split!!

Looks great!!! And fun too. Question.....If you are going to race it, why are you running a 2 pitch prop???? I run 5x4 on my .061 and it SCREAMS!!!! I used to run the APC 5.7x3 on my Cox .051's and they turned real well. Just wondering. If your getting passed, bump up the pitch a bit.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:10 PM
dgliderguy

Default Lickety Split!!

2Fast4U,

Wooops! It IS a 5X4 prop I got on there! Dunno why I typed a '2'. I didn't even know they made a prop with that much pitch in the 5-inch diameter, until I went on a foray at the LHS last week and saw them on the rack. I've got some old 5X3 Cox greys in my stash, was gonna use one of them for the race, but the black nylon 5X4 will turn a better top speed, and is much more durable than the Cox greys.

d.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Legend4

Default Lickety Split!!

Looks awsome!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default Lickety Split!!

Hi Don,

Nice looking Racer! Man, I can't believe how quick you got it finished. You'll have a good time with this one......

Rgds, Jeff.....
Old 09-20-2002, 10:35 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Cool DGG

Very Cool DGG. Pretty impressive to get it done that fast.

Looks like it will be a real blast to fly.

Best of luck in your race- Please let us know how you do. If you get the chance, write up a short race recap and post it on the forum.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:50 PM
dgliderguy

Default Lickety Split!!

Well, our race got rained out last weekend. Just wanted everyone to know the Lickety Split has flown a dozen times or so, and it is FAST! Aileron rolls are really quick. The elevator was so touchy I had to back it down a couple of holes in the elevator horn. 'Snap turns' around the pylons are smooth and predictable, and it holds straight-and-level with no complaints. Slow flight is glideresque, and I can put it down right on the grass in front of me no problems.

I'm using a party balloon tank with mild pressure (balloon within a balloon for double wall tension), and it runs great at all attitudes. I had a little air leak in the needle valve, but a bit of fuel tubing fixed that.

So I'M READY TO ROLL!! All we need now is some sunshine in Seattle. In October. RIGHT...