Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 High performance .15 semi scale?? >

High performance .15 semi scale??

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

High performance .15 semi scale??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High performance .15 semi scale??

Yes, I'm still finishing my trainer, but I'm kinda looking for another plane to start when I'm done building. I've got a a new MVVS .15 GFSR that needs a home. I was hoping to build somthing super fast and kinda scale looking. I dont expect I'l be able to fly it for quite a while, but at least I'l be able to look at it in anticipation of building my flying skills. I was thinking of a HOB FW190 or Bonanza. I would like to get somthing all wood, no foam. As I said, I probably wont be flying this thing for quite some time so there is no real urgency, just want somthing to work on. Any recomendations as to what would be a good model?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High performance .15 semi scale??

The texan on the hob site looks good.. But it does look like it's not so 'semi' scale..
I wish sig made a kavalier in .15 size-
The classic thing for a second model is a 'shoulder wing' type, with symmetric airfoil, little dihedreal and the wing on top but not as high as a trainer.
Now everybody just calls them sticks I guess.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Clint's right, a high wing plane that is simple and light can get you going with this speedy engine, and you can learn more about the set up and handling of a speed plane this way before getting involved with a WWII plane. A Q500 clone with a semi symetric airfoil could be easily scratch built . I'm about ready to do something similar for a ST .15 .
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 PM

What about one of the old lanier stingers?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 AM

Here's a plan that I will take right down after a short time so I won't get pummeled.. May be hard to build, but it's the right size and shape, and is semi-scale.
[link=http://homepage.mac.com/jaeder/.Pictures/seatfix/Shoestring.gif]shoestring[/link]
Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 AM

CLINT, All I could see was a white cow eating white sugar in a snow storm
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 AM

CP-Really? I tested it with a couple of browsers and the gif worked ok- when I originally downloaded it the gif was botched with the only colors being white and transparent, so I converted the transparent to black- then it worked for me.. really was the white cow eating sugar!

Sometimes the bunk server I parked it on is intermittent.. maybe try right click then open it in some image manipulation program or something. or maybe i'm already BUSTED!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:46 AM

Clint: Works just fine for me if the cow was named ShoeString. They are a nice looking plane. Should satisfy the need for speed also.
Chris
Old 03-22-2005, 12:26 PM

CLINT< My fault, it came through loud and clear. Thanks for posting it. I think I'm going to build a little PREDATOR Q 300 type thing with a vee tail. This ST .15 has been patiently waiting for a ride for at least 15 years[]!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Along the lines of what others have said, you might want to build one or more other planes before you tackle something that's fast and scale. Those types of planes can present building and flying challenges, more experience would help prepare you better. If you want a stick kit that won't set you back much, you could try the HOB Laser Stick, aka Chea-pass (their name). Supposed to be easy to build and quick with a .15. I've got one in the shop waiting its turn on the building table.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:32 PM
My Feedback: (5)

AStro, The HOB FW190 canopies are incredibly detailed and very nice. I used it for something else, but if the kit is as nice as the canopy you'd have a winner right there! However, these planes are designed for much smaller engines and the extra weight is going to be a BIG issue. Higher wingloadings and trouble locating the CG are just two issues.
Now, a possible solution- HOB T-6 Texan for .15 to .20 power. (Sport stand off scale and racer) There are others, but I'd shy away from 1/2a stuff for that powerhouse.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Any thoughts on the HERR Piper Cherokee?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM

Great for an .049-.061. An MVVS .15 will turn it into a wingless lawn dart. 1/2a airframes are NOT sufficient for the kind of power you want to use.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM

BTW, if you mean something that looks like an airplane when you say "semi-scale", the Lanier Stinger .10 would be a good match for that engine.