Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Randy Randolph passed away?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Randy Randolph passed away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:19 PM
nekked_man_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randy Randolph passed away?

Just got this e-mail today, Randy was a memeber of my club here in Seagoville.

Dear DRCC members:
It is with great sadness that we learned today
that our dear friend "Randy" Randolph died
unexpectedly about 12:15 p.m. at Baylor Hospital in
Dallas.
According to Helen, Randy had become ill last
Saturday night, April 2nd, and went into the hospital
on Monday, April 4th. At first he was diagnosed with
pneumonia, then the doctors changed that diagnosis,
ruling out pneumonia.

We have no further information at this time. When we
have details of funeral plans, we will alert you by
e-mail.

Please put Helen and the Randolph Family in your
prayers.

Duane Schoelerman

Very sad, he will be sorely missed...can't imagine a Dallas Small-steps without him.

God bless and rest in peace.

Austin
Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Randy Randolph passed away?

WOW[] That is awfull news! Randy had forgot more about the little stuff than I will ever now. A sad day indeed.

LAter,
Tim
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... just another reminder how suddenly the good ones can be taken from us.

Thats just awfull...

AJC
Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

A sad loss. I've known Randy for over 35 years. He always flew the !QUOT!little!QUOT! ones when everyone else had a .60. He can't be replaced. My sympathies to Helen. Dwayne
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just received the same email via the SMALLnet mailing list.

It is very sad news indeed.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:48 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Randy was truly one of the greats. He'll be missed but at least we have what he left us and that is indeed a large treasure.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:49 AM
goldguy

Sad new. The loss of a modeling pioneer that taught us how to have fun, an avid small model flyer who has left us with a treasure of ingenious modeling ideas. He will be missed by his modeling buddies the world over.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Dsegal

I am so sad to hear of his death. His designs were simple, looked good and flew great. He will be missed.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

FWIW, the note Helen sent last nite said:
<Sadly I must tell you that Randy Randolph died about 12:15 p.m. at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. He become ill last Saturday night, April 2nd, and went into the hospital on Monday, April 4th. He was first diagnosed with pneumonia; then the doctors changed that diagnosis to pulmonary fibrosis and rheumatoid arthritis. His breathing became labored and he died this afternoon from a massive heart attack.>
I've had to delete far too many eddresses from my list this year but losing Randy is particularly painful. Although we've known each other for over 20 years our interaction picked up enormously after I moved away from Dallas and got on the net. Daily correspondance and the sharing of not just modeling 'stuff' but personal philosophies of life revealed him to not be only one of the 'good guys' but one who truly put the 'gentle' in gentleman. So let him be remembered in that manner--as a gentle man full of good will to all about him. Truly the sort of role model as espoused by the motto on the old Comet kits: "Building models builds model boys". Tom
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM
epilot

Very sad to hear this. I have always been a fan of his writing and designs. My condolences to his family.
I still have the plans for his "One Cent" so I will put other builds on hold and build that as a tribute to Randy. I don't have a .010 engine so it will have to be powered by a PeeWee or electrics. I used to have a .010 powered One Cent but I could not fly well at the time I built it and I gave the model away before a move and sold the engine. The model won me 3rd place at our clubs annual building competiton.

Thank you Randy - you will be missed.

Michael
Old 04-10-2005, 07:27 AM
DICKEYBIRD

What a loss....Randy was definitely one of the good guys. His "Small Talk" column in Flying Models is what re-kindled my interest in 1/2A power some years back. The hobby had gotten stale for me with the larger planes but his passion for the smaller stuff came through clearly in his columns. That passion infected me and I've never looked back. The text, pictures and plans in his construction articles were models of how it should be done.

Sadly, yet another opportunity I passed up! I have chatted with Randy at all the Arkansas S.M.A.L.L. events through the years and he was always a smiling, enthusiastic supporter of small planes and always had a kind word or 2 about my stuff. Last year, he very affably invited Kathy and I to come over to the Dallas S.M.A.L.L. event. Unfortunately, I let work issues get in the way and didn't make it.

Goodbye Randy; may your skies be blue and your thermals be plentiful!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:54 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thoroughly enjoy reading his SMALL Talk columns, construction articles, hints and ideas articles, and gleaming all the knowledge and insights he shared. Hopefully we can pick up much from his example and introduce / share his passion with many others.

Time to go back to the magazines and enjoy his many timeless designs: great looking and flying.

I particularly think of his Nickel (Model Aviation) designed for a .049 TD w/ throttle ring... this model really gave me the 1/2A bug which has never left.

1/2A Forever! Randy you will be missed but not forgotten,
Brian
Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks to Randy. He was very helpful for us here, where the rc stuff is costly and hard to obtain, he taught us how to build a tank from a mousse can, how to create motor mounts, in fact how to build inexpensive well designed planes from almost nothing!

Today, when the rc is coming to expensive and sophisticated, we will miss this Quixote who demystified the hobby and let us the opportunity to fly.

Javier
Old 04-11-2005, 08:17 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had the good fortune to meet Randy, but I've enjoyed his magazine articles over the years. Lots of neat stuff in FM.
He made a video tape for Bob Hunt called "Texas Tips" that I have watched several times.

My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

George
Old 04-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Randy was one of those people that could make huge contributions with little fanfare. He had over a hundred published model designs out there and all of them were above average performers.
It was my privilege to have dinner last year at Little Rock with Randy, Helen, Joe Wagner and his wife. These two men were the mainstays and founders of SMALL.
Randy demonstrated a rare quality for a modeler in that he could come to the foreground without having to belittle another person or their efforts.
It was always a delight to visit Randy's home and see all of the ongoing projects.
He will be missed but what better reason to look skyward as you fly your model than the memory of Randy and his contributions to us.

ORIGINAL: nekked_man_2000

Just got this e-mail today, Randy was a memeber of my club here in Seagoville.

Dear DRCC members:
It is with great sadness that we learned today
that our dear friend "Randy" Randolph died
unexpectedly about 12:15 p.m. at Baylor Hospital in
Dallas.
According to Helen, Randy had become ill last
Saturday night, April 2nd, and went into the hospital
on Monday, April 4th. At first he was diagnosed with
pneumonia, then the doctors changed that diagnosis,
ruling out pneumonia.

We have no further information at this time. When we
have details of funeral plans, we will alert you by
e-mail.

Please put Helen and the Randolph Family in your
prayers.

Duane Schoelerman

Very sad, he will be sorely missed...can't imagine a Dallas Small-steps without him.

God bless and rest in peace.

Austin