Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 01:35 AM
VULTCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

I've seen some posts here concerning the Herr Little Somethin' Extra, but no response as to how it does. I just ordered one from Tower and plan to run it electric. Would like to know it's weak points if any. Thanks, Tony
Old 04-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Built and flew Herr Little Somethin' Extra

ORIGINAL: VULTCH

I've seen some posts here concerning the Herr Little Somethin' Extra, but no response as to how it does. I just ordered one from Tower and plan to run it electric. Would like to know it's weak points if any. Thanks, Tony
Tony,

You ordered it? Was it in stock? Right now Tower lists it as "Late April", not in stock.

I am unaware of any deliveries being reported here. When you get yours, please report.

Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 AM
VULTCH

I beleive I ordered the last one they had in stock. It displayed Limited Quanities when I ordered. Hopefully they will have more soon. I was hoping someone had already completed one so I would know what changes, if any to do, or flight characteristics to watch out for. If all goes well I'll try to have it together by the 25th. Plan to install a Hacker A20-20L electric motor to power it. I'll post a review when I get it going. Tony
Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Larry Driskill

I have one that came this week and I plan to build it as soon as I get the .020 finished and flown.

The workmanship is very, very nice. And . . . more assembly has be done that on other ARFs I have built.

The airframe (without hardware, engine, tank, gear, radio) weighs 13 ounces. The box says total weight is about 24 ounces. 24 ounces should not be too difficult to achieve.

Surely a Norvel .074 makes a good deal more thrust than 24 ounces.

This ought to be fun.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
VULTCH

I noticed Tower has a few in stock today if anyone is intrested. Seems as though it is very popular.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:14 AM
ghost123uk

Well I just ordered mine "online" for delivery to the UK.
The order seemed to process OK so I guess they must be in stock right now !

I am suprised that there is so little actual information about the wingspan, engine recomendations, radio recomendations, kit contents etc etc, on either Towers site or the Herr site.

I am just trusting my instincts here !

Intending to put my Thunder Tiger 10GP in it - any comments welcome (yes I know, but I havn't got a Norvil !!)
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
seancorder
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone actually flown this plane yet? Mine is on the way and I am anxious to hear how it flies.

Sean
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could tell you. I picked one up on a whim this past weekend, since the not-so-local hobby shop I visited had one in stock. I've got the plane and motor, now I just need 5 HS-55s. I'll post a flight report when I get it in the air, but someone else will undoubtedly beat me to it.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
VULTCH

I've got mine together, but the weather is holding me up. Just finished today. Using the Hacker A20-20L brushless and 3c 2100 LI-PO battery. AUW is 25.6oz. I may have to add nose weight as CG is off by 1 inch. Hopefully the weather will break and I can maiden it in a couple of days. I'm amazed so much discussion and sales have been made and no comments on how it flys as yet. Tony
Old 04-27-2005, 03:09 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: ghost123uk

Well I just ordered mine "online" for delivery to the UK.
The order seemed to process OK so I guess they must be in stock right now !

I am suprised that there is so little actual information about the wingspan, engine recomendations, radio recomendations, kit contents etc etc, on either Towers site or the Herr site.

I am just trusting my instincts here !

Intending to put my Thunder Tiger 10GP in it - any comments welcome (yes I know, but I havn't got a Norvil !!)
Does anyone think my Thunder Tiger 10GP might be too much motor for this plane ?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM
seancorder

I got mine in yesterday. I hope I can get it together by this weekend for our local fun-fly. Someone needs to fly one to tell us what to expect :-)
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: seancorder

I got mine in yesterday. I hope I can get it together by this weekend for our local fun-fly. Someone needs to fly one to tell us what to expect :-)
What motor is going in yours - ( or is it to be electric ) ?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
seancorder

I will be using the Norvel .074. I hope it will be sufficient. I am not a big fan of electric aircraft yet.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:55 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: seancorder

I will be using the Norvel .074. I hope it will be sufficient. I am not a big fan of electric aircraft yet.
Nah I tried eletctric but couldn't get on with low flight times and flat cells making me go home before I was ready to !!

Mine is to get a Thunder Tiger 10, but I am a bit concerned that it might be a bit too much and maybe somewhat heavier than the Norvil
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
seancorder

I don't know the weight difference, but I would imagine that it will be fine. the plane is large enough (i think) to handle a little more weight.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM
VULTCH

The TT .10 should work fine. The tank is 2oz which comes with the kit. I stayed away from electrics until the brushless motors and LI-PO batteries were perfected. Now I can fly almost all my electrics 30-60 min. per charge. The weather is still bad here for the maiden flight, but as soon as I get a break I plan on trying it. Hopefully I'll post a video clip of the maiden flight as well.

Tony
Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

vultch, how much $$$$ do you have in the power system? i realy like the looks of this plane. my son's birthday is coming up.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:45 PM
VULTCH

The Hacker and ESC are on sale for 109.00 at NESAIL. I bought the 2100 LI-PO cells at TrueRC for 30.00 + connector and shrink. I Put together the pack myself. So probably 150.00 in the power system (Not including Charger).
Old 04-27-2005, 07:11 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

thanks alot.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
sdan9151

Just bought one last night. The store owner has one also that he is converting to electric. I'm putting in a O.S. LA 15 engine in mine. Hope to have it up by next week. She looks sweat and has very smooth lines. Even covers for the servos in the wing. Nice pre assembled whell skirts also. Good looking airplane, wonder if it will look as good in little pieces also. Been hunting all over internet to try to find out how she handles and can't find anything.

Steve in Wisconsin
Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
VULTCH

Hopefully I'll give you a report tonight of how it flies.Along with a video clip.

Tony
Old 04-28-2005, 11:49 AM
seancorder

a .15! I am hoping to fly on the recommended .074! I hope I am not too disapointed. Of course I want a summer plane to putter around in the evening, but still, under-powered is never something I shoot for.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM
VULTCH

[sm=thumbdown.gif] Rained out again!! I took a weeks vacation and it has rained every day. Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:55 AM
sdan9151

Hey Vultch make the rain go away. Am anxious to hear how it performs. Still working on mine, got the vertical stabilizer and elevator mounted and finished the wing and wheels. It looks good, need to connect the servos and mount the engine and tank next. Am looking foward to flying it, almost looks too pretty to risk. Maybe after I get this done, it will motiate me to complete my Great Planes RV-4 kit.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:06 AM
sdan9151

Hey Seancorder, don't let numbers and a decimal point get you worried on sizes and capabilities of engines. Actually the OS 15 is very close to the Norvel .074. In fact depending on who you read, it can go either way on power and performance. I looked up the specs and did a comparison and you may actually have an advantage due to weight. The OS is nearly double. The biggest advntage the OS has is delieverable horsepower at a lower RPM. OS hits its stride around the 17,000 RPM range while Norvel needs to get to 22,000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.