Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

cox engines discontiuned?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox engines discontiuned?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:16 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cox engines discontiuned?

I know that estesrockets.com used to list at least four or five engines on their site, as well as engine starting instructions.
But now, I can't find any cox engines at all! It's as if estes does not produce cox engines anymore, or if they do, it's a secret.

I looked in the store, in the site map, nada. A site search reveals the old engine pages like they were, but there's no way to 'surf' to the engines anymore. yikes!

Is the end of production of cox engines finally upon us?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Darkace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cox engines discontiuned?

They are still being sold at hobby people

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/kws_627647400.asp
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
meowy84

I hope not!!! That would be a sad day. I love Cox and sadly missed out on the $5.99 sale....but didn't someone say that they e-mailed Estes?cox and was told they'll start selling the engines for $5.99 on the site again as soon as they make some more?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
meowy84

Darkace, but hobby people sell them for $34.99. Ouch! $5.99 sounded much better. I love Cox but not $34.99 worth. For that much I can get a new Norvel .061 with an actual carb or even the AP .061 r/c.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Meowy, those are the retail versions with tanks. To add a cheap plastic tank to the product engines would cost $16 plus shipping. Those prices are only slightly higher than Tower.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM
meowy84

Ptulmer, I thought all you guys used film canisters and those tiny bubble bath bottles for tanks?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Darkace

The point is that their still in business :P
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM
mclintock

Retailers may carry stock (at retail prices, probably several decades worth!) of the cox engines, but the estes web site has changed to no longer present cox engines as something estes carries, or at least features on their web site.

Cox engines are no longer listed amoung the products offerd by estes on the estes web site.

The only engines I see on there are in the noses of the three remaining CL planes that estes sells under the cox name. All three of those are the sure start engine.

If a company strikes a product from the list of products on their company web site, that gives me a grim feeling about the future availibility of that product.

I know it's just a web site, but it used to be cox-hobbies.com, then that domain croaked, then it was cox-estes.com, now that brings up night vision goggles, so now it's estesrockets.com, a site that used to let you look at cox engines.. now no more. just rockets, those three cl planes I mentioned and some electric single channel foamies. (I kinda like those estes foamies, I have several).
Old 04-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Red_Bar0n

ORIGINAL: mclintock

I know that estesrockets.com used to list at least four or five engines on their site, as well as engine starting instructions.
But now, I can't find any cox engines at all! It's as if estes does not produce cox engines anymore, or if they do, it's a secret.

I looked in the store, in the site map, nada. A site search reveals the old engine pages like they were, but there's no way to 'surf' to the engines anymore. yikes!

Is the end of production of cox engines finally upon us?
Hey guys

mclintock estesrocket still have cox engines for sale.
When you go on their website just search .049 in their search engine and abra kadabra all the cox engines appear.

You guys are being a bit paranoid about the demise of 1/2 A no sense in having a fit about it.

Note: If cox .049 falls there will always be someone there to fill the quota for our demands.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 AM
newtech

They are not easy to find on their web site but a search on 049 returnes the product entries for the Black Widow, Tee Dee, Killer Bee, Baby Bee, Texaco and the
4.99 SureStart Production Engine. Guess the report of their demise was premature. BUT, if they are relying on their web site for business, they will be out of the engine business in short order.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:28 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: meowy84

Ptulmer, I thought all you guys used film canisters and those tiny bubble bath bottles for tanks?
Meowy, here's my cox fuel tank score card- (all actually flying or flown or about to fly)
film canister - 0
bubble bottle - 1
solder tin - 1
Integrated tank - 1

The only pattern is the lack of one! Two blackwidows joined my engine box recently. Those were my first BW's.

I'm pretty sure of one thing Mclintock, when Cox runs out of parts. No more engines! Este's hasn't allowed them to compete for a very long time. They've lost almost all their marketshare to Norvel and a few specialized engines. But like Red says, somebody will fill the niche. I've got close to a lifetime supply already. So...[&:]
Old 04-19-2005, 07:50 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here's a wrench in the works for ya...I just went to Tower and they dont have any black widow's "early May"...???hmmmm,an I just made a LS that I can fly!! I'll have to start hoarding cox engines...[X(],,I bet between Dickeybird and AJ we can all fly for years!...Rog
Old 04-19-2005, 09:51 AM
mclintock

I did notice that by searching one can find the engines- just as I could lots of other discontinued things like the ez bee sport and the Lazy Bee.

That's why the question mark in my thread title- the site seems to have lumped the engines into the limbo of the discontinued products which have to be searched for via the search function.

Like you guys said, there are enough cox engines floating around in stock and used and hoarded to keep the air screaming till the next ice age, but it's kinda sad, the end of a long era of cox.. maybe.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:38 PM
David Redden

Cox is very much alive and well. Here's what is going on.

Cox Hobbies is coming back to the hobby industry in a big way. At the recent Toledo show, we showed new ARF's, new electric planes and all will be available in early summer. Estes still owns Cox but Estes has turned Cox loose to make hard-core hobby products unlike anything you have ever seen from us before.

We will have a new Cox only website up in early May at www.coxmodels.com so check back there in a few weeks to see all our new products.

We still have a broad selection of .049 engines and I expect that the Sure Start Production engine will soon be back on sale at a great price as well.

Sorry for the confusion during this transition and thanks for your past and future support.

Dave Redden
Cox Hobbies

PS: 2005 is our 60th anniversary and Cox will be around for a long time to come.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:14 PM
mclintock

Yes!!! I shook loose a ripe jucy pear from the tree of knowledge!
That is truly awesome news!
Thanks Dave, I was feeling really old thinking that Cox had died, sort or like my childhood was over or something.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Darkace

LOL this must be a joke https://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin...gi?product,358
Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mclintock

Yes!!! I shook loose a ripe jucy pear from the tree of knowledge!
Score one Atta' Boy!! A little searching on your part got a lot of information for us all. Nice go....
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 PM
mclintock

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Score one Atta' Boy!! A little searching on your part got a lot of information for us all. Nice go....
Hee hee, more like a little speculation and panic on my part.. Plus some clicking..

Now who went to toledo and what's up, is Cox poised to be the next GWS? Will factory made muffled throttled pee wee powered park flyers be the future?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Darkface, I wonder what they would do if you actually ordered one. I'm so tempted to try it!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

David,

Thanks for the info but ... there is always a but.....how many of the new product are nitro powered??? That is the real question. I hear the Hyper Viper is already discontinued. How long was it on the market? I know the 1/2a modelers are a small corner of the market but we are a part of it just the same and is growing. We don't want to see electric free flight stuff we want to see .049 nitro power models and new engines. Take a look around the internet and you will find guys thirsting for the metal backplates for the Black Widows and Babe Bee engines as well as the real metal stunt vented 8cc Black Widow tanks. IMO if Estes wants to bring back Cox in a big way bring back the parts that we want and need not the parts that break just looking at them wrong. How can Estes sell a Black Widow that is not even anodized black and feel they are selling a quality product. I as well as others here are hardcore Cox fans and always will be but other than the Sure Start engine deal last month I haven't bought a new Cox engine since I was 14 years old. Reason being they have priced theirselfs out of the market and the quality control seems to have hit bottom. Every one of my 20 Sure Starts need their rod socket reset even before they are run for the first time. I can buy 2 Norvels for the price of a new TD .049. If Estes wants to show off bring back the TeeDee .020 with a glow plug option like a Nelson plug. Come on at $7-$10 retail for a glowhead people just turn the other way. Better yet bring out a .020 sized engine front rotary intake without the plastic parts and a real wrist pin rod/piston. Guys will pay real money for that and a begging for it! Just my 2 cents.

Later,
Tim Wiltse
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was at Toledo and hawked around the Cox booth for a while. They didn't show off anything in the way of engines, but if they are as dedicated to getting back to the backbone as was alluded to in the above post they may come up with something that surprises us. I'm attaching some of the literature I got at the booth. You can check out the offerings yourself. I don't know if it's what you expect or want, but I have to say I liked what I saw. The quality looked good especially the pint sized warbirds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11571.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	260305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99111.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	260306  
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
SERCEFLYER

Dave Redden,

Thanks for the info. Does Cox plan on bringing back any of the nitro-powered RC RTF's like the Cessna Skylane or EZ-Bee? You mentioned electrics, but it would be great for the nostalgia types to have some nitro-powered RC again from Cox.

And, I'm with Tim on a muffled, throttled 020 that could be used as a nitro parkflyer. A lot of us would go for that, I'm sure.

Is Cox open to suggestions from its hard-core nostalgia base?

Thanks,
SF
Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
meowy84

Clint, uh, sorry to break it to you but your childhood IS over. LOL *teasing* Come to think of it so is mine.

The reed valve Cox is as American as apple pie and the small-block Chevy. The apple pie is still going strong on genetically enhanced apples and the small block is only similar to its grandfather in concept. Never mind, I don't really have a point except to second Tim's opinion. I for one love Cox engines (no matter if the Norvels out power them) and would hate to have them disappear entirely. That being said I also refuse to pay $30+ retail for a new Babe Bee when a new Norvel r/c can be gotten for a few bucks more.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM
meowy84

Darkace, that MUST be a joke! Is that an autographed picture of Ed holding his urine samples prior to his Cox/Estes drug screening?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Darkace

If it is, He must have failed it, seriously, look at the color of his "urine". But i doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.