Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel 061 connecting rod (have you checked yours?)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel 061 connecting rod (have you checked yours?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
dieFluggeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel 061 connecting rod (have you checked yours?)

I bent the rod on my .061 doing things I shouldn't do - thats another story...

However, when my replacement parts came I noticed something curious. If you take a look at the lower bushing on the rod you will see that the lubrication hole is on opposite sides, indicating to me that the rod was installed differently in the two pistons.

I had a problem. Which one is correct?
A. The original
or
B. The replacement

The correct answer is C. Both of them. I talked with one of RCU's local experts and he said that he suspected the replacement is a better configuration but either will work AND it just so happened that Justin the Norvel Tech at SigMfg.com said the exact same thing. Justin stated that he tries to install it with the lube port on the leading side of the bottom of the stroke but they don't always come that way.

Weird. I would think the designers would have a preference. Anybody have an opinion?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86760.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	270647  
Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Norvel 061 connecting rod (have you checked yours?)

Sometimes I wonder about how much actual R&D goes into these engines. Does the oil hole really contribute to longevity, or does it create a weak spot? If you want to see something sloppy, look at the mill work in the underside of the piston and compare it to the wrist pin axis........not even close to being square.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

<snip> .....
look at the mill work in the underside of the piston and compare it to the wrist pin axis........not even close to being square.
Hey CP --

If you were you referring to the notch in the skirt -- that's a clearance notch for the backplate. If it were something else, then ignore my rantings -- coffee hasn't kicked in sufficiently.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

No, I mean the cut out for the top of the rod, where it inserts into the piston. I have made a couple of my own NORVEL pistons, using theirs' as a model, and thought it was pretty haphazard to see their crooked work.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awww -- OK.

Thanks