Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Testors/McCoy 049

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:22 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Testors/McCoy 049

A friend just donated a Testors 049 to me, problem is the big end eye on the conrod is broken. Help, all I need is the piston / rod assembly. If anyone has a spare old one in their bits box, perhaps I could trade it for a Cox glo head or something. Please email me if you have an old piston to swap, I'd love to get this thing running...............John

Old 05-15-2005, 01:10 AM
vauxhall

Default RE: Testors/McCoy 049

O.K., no response on a used piston and rod, does anyone still sell new parts for this engine. Must have been millions made, please let me know if you've seen any hobby shops with spares.
Thanks ........John
Old 05-15-2005, 04:56 PM
bsindel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

If the testors/mc coy engine you are talking about is the one from the plastic control line airplanes then it doesn't surprise me that no one has responded. Do you have a picture of the engine? If it is the one I'm thinking of it doesn't have any sort of engine mount built on it so I don't know how you would use it on anything but one of the little plastic planes they came in. I usually just toss'em when I come across one in a bulk purchase of engines.

Sorry,

Bill S. (the other Bill)
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I have some, how would I get them to you? They would be from the mid 70's.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
vauxhall

Sorry guys, I should have posted a picture. It came from a Testors plastic plane, he also gave me the tank/firewall mount. It can also be mounted on bearers. Duane I've sent you a PM to your RCU details page so you can email me and I'll give my postal address, maybe I can mail something to you to return the favour or I can send a money order..............John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22643.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	272097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40247.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	272098  
Old 05-16-2005, 01:22 AM
bsindel

Hi John,

Get with Duane and see what you can work out. As strange as it might seem I've never had one of these engines! The engine I was thinking of does not have the radial mount, or a beam mount either, and I guess it sort of snaps into the plane somehow(I never had one of the planes either). Thanks for putting up the picture and clearing that up..

Good Luck,
Bill S. (the other Bill)
Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bsindel

Hi John,

Get with Duane and see what you can work out. As strange as it might seem I've never had one of these engines! The engine I was thinking of does not have the radial mount, or a beam mount either, and I guess it sort of snaps into the plane somehow(I never had one of the planes either). Thanks for putting up the picture and clearing that up..

Good Luck,
Bill S. (the other Bill)
THe one you are talking about is the testors 8000, usually with a nylon crankcase...yep, it's not easy to mount!

The one in the pic is a Testor/McCoy/Wenmac, and they are fine little motors, I have one in a Scientific F4B4 c.l. job. I don't have any parts, alas, but if you check ebay complete engines are very easy to find, very, very cheaply. THey have almost NO collector value, nobody wants them, it;s a shame, because they were just fine. Lots of different variants on these, too, diifeent starters, spinners, mounts, marks, etc...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
vauxhall

A big thank you to Duane, the piston arrived, was installed and the motor fired up sraight away. Seems like a great engine, don't have a tacho, but certainly as good (or better) than any Cox reed. Why has this engine been overlooked by 1/2 A fliers? I'm very pleased with the results.......... John
Old 06-09-2005, 07:34 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

THe one you are talking about is the testors 8000, usually with a nylon crankcase...yep, it's not easy to mount!

The one in the pic is a Testor/McCoy/Wenmac, and they are fine little motors, I have one in a Scientific F4B4 c.l. job. I don't have any parts, alas, but if you check ebay complete engines are very easy to find, very, very cheaply. THey have almost NO collector value, nobody wants them, it;s a shame, because they were just fine. Lots of different variants on these, too, different starters, spinners, mounts, marks, etc...
The Testors 8000 was a follow-on to the one shown. In RTF form the 8000 came with either a metal or plastic crankcase. I have one of the metal ones. It was also sold with a tank and mount. These came in a box with prop, etc. The piston/cylinder and spring starter seems to be the same on the 8000 and the previous model (No. 2?).

Bill S. - you may want to hang on to them since parts can be used for other engines...or you may run across the tank version.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57788.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	282563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37590.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	282564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18445.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	282565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17727.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	282566  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Shane18
My Feedback: (-1)

How much are these worth? I have the impossible to mount one. Somebody on Ebay wants $50.00...

Shane
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shane18

How much are these worth? I have the impossible to mount one. Somebody on Ebay wants $50.00...

Shane
I bought some (shown above) several years ago at the GSCB swap meet for $10.00 each NIB.

They may be a little more valuable now.

George