Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:21 PM
scudrunner77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC COMBAT WING DETAILS

Hey ptulmer- Good luck getting some people together for combat! It's too much fun...!

As far as the engine goes I'm planing on using a Norvel Big Mig .061 on my wing. I might have to take the muffler off though so I can hear it over Piggy's AME
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

SR77, Now you're making me out to look like a cheater by using the AME against you! I only got it out AFTER you got ahead of me on cuts. That engine sure does heat things up a little bit, but the poor fuel mileage makes it a PITA, I'd rather use a BIG MIG or AP HORNET, really, I sincerely mean that.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
scudrunner77

Whatever.. I'm still having fun- even if you have to bring out the big guns against a rookie. Hey why are you building a 48"er anyways?!?
My Big Mig is .061, was your AME .049? How do they compare anyways? Seriously, I don't care if our planes are not an equal match, it's all for fun anyways. But your right the AME did seem to drain the bladder pretty quick. I guess getting the flight times about the same would be nice...

I did do something last night towards building my wing, most ribs are cut.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 AM
combatpigg

The ribs are serious drudgery, and so is all the rest! Just kidding, but it is amazing where all the time goes. How would you like to work in some CHINESE ARF SWEATSHOP doing this all day, everyday, with no prospect of ever being able to afford what you spend 100 hours a week putting together? I'll bet their working conditions are like what ours were just before the industrial revolution. Hope this little tyrade inspires you to keep at it! It is quicker to build in batches, but first you have to be totally sold on what you are building, unless [ of course] you are LANIER RC!! They sold me a Q500 that fell apart in mid air during a heat that I was winning, maybe the "inspected by CHONG" sticker meant that TOMMY CHONG was on duty that day? OK , no more jokes or tall tales, if you do just .5 hours worth of stuff on it each day, that will shoot you light years' worth of progress ahead of the guy who does one burn out session each month. The tortoise and the hare with this stuff. Don't sweat getting done, I've got plenty of planes. some of them are so beat up, they should go to the burn barrel just for being so ugly! Wait till you try out this 48"er. it's amazing to see a tiny .049 haul it around so well. My AME is a .061. The .049s are strong runners, but for the same money a .061 will handle a 6x3 prop better with less effort. The difference shows up with these combat planes when you are in hot pursuit and the other guy is pulling away slowly. I think the .049s only sell to guys who are competing in AMA sanctioned 1/2A events or to guys who don't know any better.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 PM
scudrunner77

How would you like to work in some CHINESE ARF SWEATSHOP doing this all day, everyday, with no prospect of ever being able to afford what you spend 100 hours a week putting together?
I will never be able to afford the cars I work on. Ok I guess that's not quite the same, but....
That is horribles for a ARF to fall apart like your Q500... I had a foam e-powered job that required some sorta spar before flight or the wing would fold. To bad they make junk like that.

When I build I normally put an hour in, but the first 1/2hr I spend trying to find my X-acto knife. Yea I agree though. Just a little bit at a time. I wonder how much I would get done if I did not come to RC Universe first? I think I will bring my building board inside tonight so I can watch a movie with the wife while I get some more cutting done. Now that's working smart... plus the mess I make will leave something fun for the kids to play with in the morning! Well I hope to finish this plane. Looks like the second weekend of June might work out for our little fun fly... will let you know

Old 05-26-2005, 11:28 PM
combatpigg

That date sounds good. The kids can also help with pre fab if they want desert.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 PM
scudrunner77

Here's my combat wing!

I went with a dowel for leading edge-(sorry Piggy not a part of you wonderful plans) and 1/4 inch spars. The top one is hard wood for the servo to screw into. I'm going to run some strips of fiberglass on the winglets to strengthen them up a bit. Decided to mount up the tank into the wing. I though that cutting the leading edge might weaken the wing there, but the sheeting I put under the tank made it plenty strong, if not stronger.

I better go finish her up... Only two days Combatpigg! Is the FSOD starting to twitch!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78071.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	282904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24042.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	282905  
Old 06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
scudrunner77

Here is a close up of the magnetic hatches I made for the RX and battery!

Name:	Xv64971.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	282906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69173.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	282907  
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 PM
combatpigg

Man, I like it! [8D], looks like a pit bull! The LE dowel is a good idea, it will break cleanly from the meat cleaving action that the FSOD has. Magnetic hatches? Are you trying to win the 1/2A design contest or somthin'? Good looking plane, get lots of pictures of it and don't get too attached to it.[>:]
Old 06-10-2005, 08:02 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

That's a great looking wing there Scuddy! What's the span? Seems kinda unfair that CP has the experience and a huge freakin' plane! Maybe you can bring Crankypants and a shotgun to even things up....
Old 06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
scudrunner77

Thanks PT- Yes some anti-aircraft fire would be great. Maybe I could use a second RX and some large bottle rockets and make a missle launcher. I could get CP to follow my plane right over the launcher and then with the flip of my landing gear switch the rockets will bring his FSOD down in a ball of flames.... (place evil laugh here)..[:@]
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
scudrunner77

Here it is all finished up....

Hope these last couple of late nights pay of with some cut streamers!

Name:	Lj21674.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	283386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26931.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	283387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22224.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	283388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93465.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	283389  
Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 AM
scudrunner77

ptulmer- I forgot to answer your question..sorry.

The wing it 36" x 10 and 1/4" .
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 PM
combatpigg

SR77, The only thing that is in your future with this plane are late nights of tossing and turning!!![>:]
Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM
combatpigg

Here's a combat detail of sorts. If you want more consistency from a AME, then this set up has been rock solid for me for the last week of nights running it. The needle valve has a slice of medium fuel tubing under it to act as a seal, and a slice of large fuel tubing around the whole works to help keep the needle set where you left it. The AME has always been hard for me to get 2 honkin' runs in a row out of, and with the combination of the NELSON head with no shims, 30% nitro, 25% castor, and a 5x3 prop, it's been almost hands off for more than a dozen flights now. The bladder tubing is 1/8" with a thick wall and I am happy to get 3/4 of an oz in for about 3 minutes of running at a time

Name:	Mk27261.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	285091  
Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 AM
combatpigg

Here's a flying wing that my anemic .020 can actually fly around! It weighs 5.2 ozs RTF and the little engine cruises this thing around at what looks like 15 MPH, maybe 20 in a dive. The span is 24" and the chord is 7". I balanced it at 25% and I was able to keep from crashing it, but ended up balancing it at more like 20% to make it manageable. I think that when I've seen enough from the .020 , then it will be time to stick on a TD .049. Then the plane will probably weigh 6 some odd ozs and with 18 ozs of thrust will make a nice little interceptor in case SR77 gets ahead of me in cuts.[>:]

Name:	Ay74838.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	285722  
Old 06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
scudrunner77

Looks good!

Did you just put that together?

Can it pull a streamer? Or will in NEED the .049
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 AM
combatpigg

I asked myself the same question, it could pull thread followed with 1/3 of a width of crepe paper. I don't know if this engine is a good running example of a .020, hopefully it's NOT! The .049 should make this thing good for some laughs, I just built it this afternoon and it was RTF by 8 PM. It's actually bigger than a LIL SATAN, [GOLDBERG C/L plane], that would make for a cool micro RC .049 combat plane too.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:43 AM
Big Al-RCU

CP,
Hey that is a neat wing! You must have lots of design info (secrets?) for making those wings work.
If I might ask a question, what is the effect (if any) of having the vertical stab(s) on the wing tips versus the centerline?
Al

Old 06-16-2005, 10:50 AM
combatpigg

Hi AL! I don't really know about the wing tips. It is detrimental to have weight outboard, so tip fins is a minus. For a pusher design, it would be a compromise, but in this case we might end up with a better flying plane with a central fin. I have built and flown both styles and don't see any night and day differences when you have lots of power [and speed] to play with. This plane is under powered so the differences between fin designs and layouts might make more of a difference? Flying wings are fun to watch and fly, the swept wing types fly great. There is no secret to making them fly, if the CG is right, they are stable but quick.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:00 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Tip fins will prevent some span-wise flow and supposedly give more lift, etc. I've never seen a big difference either. In full scale they're usually airfoiled and designed for a particular cruise speed. How this translates to modeling.... I have no clue.

Oh yeah, they have more "power" on the tips and can be much smaller than a central fin.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:12 AM
combatpigg

That makes sense, the tip fins could extend below the wing too. I think they add to the models' looks and make onlookers want to say, "this thing can't fly" [X(]. To get one of these flying wings to flat spin, I ended up needing a rudder and elevator. With an ENYA .11 CX on bladder, it was able to climb in a flat spin. That's quite a sight!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
mrfx2001
My Feedback: (2)

Gentlemen,
Should have seen a stability diff in yaw during turns. The air cannot slide off of the wing tip. I have a question about the bladder tanks. What is the material, where do you get the fuel line to bladder transition fitting, and what are you pumping them up with?
Fred
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 AM
combatpigg

If there was a difference, I would be the first to notice it, and or admit it. Both models [tip and central fin type] wobble, fish tail and crab their way through the sky equally well. For your bladder needs, Larry Driskill has an on line shop called KITTING IT TOGETHER and he has all that stuff. Latex tubing for the bladder. There are so many different varieties that don't work for 1/2A, that your best bet is to buy your stuff through him, because he knows first hand what works. The syringe, I'm pretty sure he has too, if not, I get 2 oz syringes from the local farmers' CO-OP. I like the MONOJECT brand. and I push a piece of 3/32" brass tubing into the outlet to act as a perfect adapter for hooking up to the fuel line. The other tip is to place a couple of short screws in the syringes' body, to prevent accidentally pulling the plunger out while filling the syringe. I like to use SULLIVAN small fuel line to go to the engine. Bladder : You can make your own transition fitting from hard tubing, slide the fuel line over the tubing, then slide the latex tubing over the fuel line and bind it all together with either a tie wrap or safety wire. 1 oz of fuel is about all I try to load up, any more than that and the tubing will develope weak spots in the wall, and your needle settings will go mysteriously lean as the tank empties out. At any rate, bladders should be changed daily and not re-used.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:23 PM
mrfx2001
My Feedback: (2)

I went their and did that....
Larry Driskill has an on line shop called KITTING IT TOGETHER and he has all that stuff. Latex tubing for the bladder.
but I don't see any product page. I only see two pages and neither show product. Help. I have found a site for sergical latex tubing by the roll. What is the inside and outside dia of what works?
Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.