Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel am1.0 & Lanier Dominator 200

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel am1.0 & Lanier Dominator 200

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:20 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel am1.0 & Lanier Dominator 200

Hi all, I think I got a good deal on this package. The engine is used, but has great compression. The kit is partially constructed but looks good.
The 1.0 on the engine- does that refer to discplacement in cc cubed? What is a good prop for this combo. When I get around to completing it, I am going to add a wheel similar to the sailplanes as I land on pavement.
The engine looks a bit smaller than the Norvel 074 I have. What type engine is it? Sport, speed??

I love this site, mucho friendly advice. Thanks, Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Larry Driskill

Default RE: Norvel am1.0 & Lanier Dominator 200

Mike, Good Afternoon,

You are correct on the size. It is a .061 (.049s are .8cc) and we need more information to know if it is a Big Mig or an AME. Also, does it have an open venturi or an RC carb?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Mike,

Take the head off and move the piston to the bottom of it's stroke. The AME(speed) model will have 3 ports in the cylinder where as the Big Mig(sport) engine will have 5 ports.

LAter,
Tim
Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 PM
WMB

I pulled the head off, 3 transfer ports and one exhaust. It also has the r/c carb. So that would make it the hot rod version right? I noticed the glow-plug was burnt out. Does it use the same plug as the 074? What kind of prop would work best for this.
Would the Dominator 200 fly better (faster) with the 61 or 74? Should it be built with a rudder?

Larry, I've been to your site a few times and can't get anywhere. Do you sell props and the needed extras for these small engines?

I've got plans for the mini-pacer that I'm thinking about building for the 61.

Thanks for the help, MIke
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Husky

Norvels 061 abd 074 has different glowplugs. Maybe COX 061 glowplug will be OK for Norvel 061. This glowplugs has the same dimensions and construction. Some time ago I see special cylinder head for Norvel with hole for standard glowplug. The power quote a bit less, but it is working!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 AM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI WMB,
The only respectable conversion head is the one sold at the kitting it together web sight. It uses a nelson plug. Don't waste your time with any others as the power loss is too great. Frankly the Norvels run excellent with the plug they came with. The .061 and .074 plugs are not the same. Best prop I've found for the .061 is the APC 5.7x3. Other acceptable props are 6x2 and 6x3. If you start getting into the 6x4 or seven inch range thats too much prop. And as always the correct fuel is very important with these engines 15-35% nitro and at LEAST 20% oil. The oil should be all or at least partially castor.

My opinion

Rrragman
Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: WMB

I pulled the head off, 3 transfer ports and one exhaust. It also has the r/c carb. So that would make it the hot rod version right? I noticed the glow-plug was burnt out. Does it use the same plug as the 074? What kind of prop would work best for this.
Would the Dominator 200 fly better (faster) with the 61 or 74? Should it be built with a rudder?

Larry, I've been to your site a few times and can't get anywhere. Do you sell props and the needed extras for these small engines?

I've got plans for the mini-pacer that I'm thinking about building for the 61.

Thanks for the help, MIke
You are correct. The kittingittogether site is down. Thank you for the heads up. I will try and figure out what is wrong.

And yes, I have parts, bits and pieces . . . now to get it fixed.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi WMB --

Really can't anything to Rrragman's post -- he's pretty well covered all the bases. The head he references is the Galbreath head. The Galbreath head/Nelson plug is hard to beat. While the NORVEL plug performs very well, if you're not careful with the shims and don't get a good seat, they will occasionally leak. Each time you change a NORVEL plug, you have to be sure to get a good seal. Replacement NELSON plugs are a little less expensive than the NORVELs and are available in standard and HD. However, as RR said, the NORVEL plug is an excellent plug.

Once you are tuned in with the correct number of shims using the Galbreath head, it doesn't have to be removed -- the NELSON plug screws directly into the head button and uses a taper seat for sealing. Also pay attention to his recommended oil content -- the smaller engines seem to thrive on castor.

A 6x3 is the maximum prop you should consider -- I have also had good luck with the APC 5.7x3, but be careful since it's a slicer and dicer. The AME performs better when allowed to unload and should not be overpropped -- the 5.7x3 would be probably be the most I would use. A lot of folks have had good luck with the COX 5x3 -- if you visit Larry's site, you might also pick up a couple for testing. If you're wanting to wring the Dominator out, I think a 5x3, 5x4 or 5.5x3 would work well.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

The Cox 5x3 "rubber ducky" is the best prop I've found for the big mig and AME. It gives a fantasic amount of thrust and the rpm is up there where the Norvel's are comfortable. For more speed I've trimmed a Cox 5x4 down a little and it works good too.
As for the Galbreath head, I've had no success. No matter the shim/fuel combo it's always 2-3k loss in rpm's from what the Norvel plug runs. I'd be interested to hear what you guys use for shim/fuel combos.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM
WMB

Thanks for all the input. I need to get some spare plugs for my 074, I'll have to also order some spares for the 061. I just want the stock setup. The package deal came with a glow plug adapter, but I hear the power is always down.

thanks again, Mike
Old 06-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: WMB
I'll have to also order some spares for the 061. I just want the stock setup. The package deal came with a glow plug adapter, but I hear the power is always down.
The NORVEL plugs will work just fine and are long lasting. When you order your plugs, you might also order one or two shim sets -- it may be just my clumsiness, but the shims are prone to edge damage and any nicks or burrs can contribute to leakage around the stock plug. The shoulder the shim seats on is narrow on the .061 so a flat smooth gasket is necessary for a good seal.

If the glow plug adapter is the NORVEL adapter for using standard glow plugs, then toss it. I don't know of anyone posting here that has had satisfactory performance from standard plugs.