Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

norvel 74 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:05 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: norvel 74 question

Looks good Martin,

The prop even looks to be about scale size.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:54 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin,

Hope all goes well for your first flight on your dieselized Norvel .074. Some latest developments regarding rods and diesels and breakage thereof. One of the reasons I cancelled my article on dieselizing the Norvel line of engines was because of concern over the good guys whacking their engines with starters and doing all sorts of damage to them. As it turns out, the cranks on Norvels can take it. The rods are a different matter and the picture shows a collection of rods. The two on the far right are stock. One of them has been anodized to try and increase durability as far as wear in the bores. Not tried yet. The other is one that got bent very early in this diesel adventure. The busted one is my fault, the knuckle was undersized, I added a brass bushing after the fact and that end didn't have enough meat. The others are various rod designs and means of making them.

What's the point? Well, Kelly (RingWing) has been converted to SMALL and decided on the Norvel .074 as his first. He also took an interest in diesel and a head is in the works for him. During the discussions he was concerned about the lack of a mini-starter and suggested a spring starter. Brilliant idea and the Norvel .061 starter is found to be somewhat overbuilt compared to what we're used to. A perfect fit for the .074. Pictured is how it was secured to the engine. The free end got a small loop bent into it and this was bolted onto the end of one of the mounting lugs.

If you haven't noticed, my diesel Norvel now sports a brand new, STOCK piston/cylinder assembly. After three years of running, it finally wore out. Top end was 12K, now only 11K. So, I rebuilt the engine and mounted it to the plane.

Here's the kicker. Without soaking in oil overnight, without flipping a hundred times, WITHOUT THE USE OF A HEAT GUN, I simply primed three drops into the intake, wound the starter back and let go. Well, by gum, she started. Burned off the prime but drew fuel up the line. The next try had her off and running, rock solid at a nice 11K. Note that the needle was not touched nor was the compression screw adjusted. It ran so sweetly, I just let her do her thing for about a minute. Then I throttled back to idle and again, she held rock steady. Let her do that for a minute and then, back to full throttle for another minute. I did this for a whole tank (about twenty minutes) and by the end of the tank the top end improved to 11.7K.

The next run was accomplished simply by choking the muffler to get fuel up the line while using the spring. This produced several short bursts and after two or three of these, she caught and kept running. I tried this (and it works) because such behaviour would be very useful in a full cowled engine with limited access to the carb.

I've been a critic of Norvel rods for the longest time but I no longer worry about stock rods, as long as I use a spring starter. And there's lots of them around.

A dieselized Norvel with spring starter. Virtually the perfect engine. IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68256.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	293148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40389.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	293149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61669.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	293150  
Old 07-03-2005, 02:10 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy still thunder boomers, to day, but did run the norvel in the decathalon on the
back porch table 8x3 MAS WOW Just holding the palne running at 12K
The thrust is out of sight. it should jump off the ground, also about 3 degrees rt thrust, this has gone from a wimp to a bear
apppears at least twice the pull of the 061 can hardly wait to fly martin
really cannot judge the pull on the bench