Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Texaco 5 cylinder radial

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Texaco 5 cylinder radial

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 05:01 PM
tanzanos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texaco 5 cylinder radial

Runs beautifully. No mufflers installed yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29797_16133.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	19058  
Old 10-10-2002, 06:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Very sweet. Does it have separate cases with the cranks all geared together or did you find some way to charge the crankcase?
Old 10-10-2002, 10:32 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

WOW, man that is cool as hell!

can you post some more pics close ups and all...

would you PLEASE SHOW ME>>>>>>> MORE!!!!!!!!!!

that is soo cool.. how much power does it have?

L.R. :stupid:
Old 10-12-2002, 12:16 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made numerous opposed twins using Cox 020 and 049 cylinders, making up a true dual throw crank, and using a common crankcase made from 6061 aluminum. I also tried making a 3 cylinder geared together radial, but never ran it and now it sits in the Model Aircraft Engine Museum in AZ.

That 5'r is REAL nice, and I would love to know whatever you care to sgare with us about it, techinical specs and what you used for gears, etc.

Andrew Coholic

Name:	30044_10400.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	19059  
Old 10-12-2002, 12:18 AM
ajcoholic

Here is my 3C Radial

AJC

Name:	30046_10400.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	19060  
Old 10-12-2002, 12:21 AM
ajcoholic

Here is an exploded view of an 020 twin if anyone is interested.

A friend of mine, Roger Schroeder, who lives in Kansas designed this engine in the late 60's. He still sells plans and instructions for it!

Andrew

Name:	30049_10400.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	19061  
Old 10-12-2002, 12:22 AM
ajcoholic

Sorry, this is the exploded view showing the crank. The last one was 7 crankcases for the 049 twin in "production". Talk about boring...lots of repetition!

Andrew

Name:	30052_10400.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	19062  
Old 10-12-2002, 12:45 AM
BMatthews

Nice work AJ, I think the twin was a construction article in the Stricly Internal Combustion (SIC) magazine a few years back. I had a sub for a few years and then just let it go. Really should get it restarted.

While I was in the mood during that time I got a set of castings for the Deezil from Roger. Still going to make it up "one of these days".

Have you flown any of those in models at all?
Old 10-12-2002, 01:12 AM
ajcoholic

I am sorry to say that Strictly IC magazine ceased publication with the Oct/Nov 2001 issue (#83). It was agreat source of information indeed!

You can still get the back issues I believe, from Bob Washburn.

The Simple Single (the 049 twin) is an excellent project, and needs minimal tools. The hardest part is silver brazing the crank together, without freezing one of the rods, and making sure it is straight and true.

The Deezil is a great engine, made three from Roger's castings. A good running engine! HA! Brings back memories as that was my first engine I built...

Deezil on the left, Lindberg Hornet "A" on the right, also a Roger Schroeder casting/plans engine.

Andrew

Name:	30059_10400.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	19063  
Old 10-12-2002, 01:09 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by ajcoholic
I have made numerous opposed twins using Cox 020 and 049 cylinders, making up a true dual throw crank, and using a common crankcase made from 6061 aluminum.
I AM SPEECHLESS

You, sir, are the MAN!
Old 10-12-2002, 06:04 PM
ajcoholic

Dickeybird,
You know, it is just another aspect of the hobby to me. Ever since I was a kid and started modelling (cox blue angels control liner, age 7) I have dreamed about building my own engines. It never left my mind and when I finished college in 1995 I bought a small lathe and started making parts, little stuff, that taught me the basics of metal work. Then a few years later I bought a nice old engine lathe, and spent many many hours in the winter months (sometimes every night after work untill 10pm for weeks on end) making stuff. Eventually I started getting some running engines!

I think anyone, with the drive and "want" to do this kind of stuff can do it, just need the basic tools and LOTS of time making parts. I encourage anyone that thinks it is beyond their talents to remember, it is a skill just like flying, tuning engines, building planes, etc. It doesnt come easy but it is worth the efforts. I had no training in metalwork (I am a woodworker by trade) but wanted it bad enough I persevered through all the mistakes (and boy there were/are a lot of them!) and got to where I am today.

The most difficult part is finding information on engine building. I got a lot of good books of off ebay, and some from looking high and low. Also made friends with a few experienced engine builder s via email that helped me out a lot.

So, sorry for the long winded reply but I really want to encourage you other guys to try it! Its a LOT of fun! (especially when they run! HA!)

Andrew Coholic

PS. TANZANOS - More info on your 5'er PLEASE!!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 07:10 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Yup, it's all in the details, patience and a "little help from our friends!"

I have some things I'd like to do with some engine mods but can't seem to make the time. Other than my bushed down venturis for TD .049's, this is about all I've done: It's a mount/reed assy. that I drew up for good friend (has lathe & mill) Roger Armstrong to machine out of a chunk of aluminum. It is similar to a Space Hopper....I wanted a good venturi to maximize the fuel draw for a throttled reed valve plus increase the "whutzat" factor. She runs well with a bushed down (.093") TD venturi & needle assy.

Name:	30185_7026.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	19064  
Old 10-12-2002, 07:28 PM
ajcoholic

Heck, thats cool! I am very drawn to anything that I know isnt "stock" and that must get a lot of lookers at fun flies and such, eh?

Its these kind of things I admire the most in modelling, guys like you that try new stuff and arent afraid to do something new! The way it used to be in the earlier days of model planes.

I also got into casting aluminum (made my own foundry furnace, propane burner and such) and last winter designed and made my first "own design" engine, a .65 ignition meant to be similar to late 40's era engines. Its the "AJC 65 Skyburner". Runs a 13-6 or 14-5 prop at 7000 rpm.

Here is the prototype engine and a raw casting..

ANdrew

Name:	30188_10400.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	19065  
Old 10-12-2002, 07:31 PM
ajcoholic

Another cool project I built quite a few of is a sideport induction conversion to a cox 049. I take a TD and using a babe bee single bypass cylinder, braze on an intake. Uses a thimble for the tank! Runs great and a really nice looking engine.

I also did it with a Cox 15 sportsman, and went spark ignition also.

Here is the 049 sideport..

Name:	30190_10400.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	19066  
Old 10-12-2002, 07:34 PM
ajcoholic

Here is the sportsman 15 conversion.

By the way, I get pretty excited talking engines as I rarely get the chance to do so... I hope I am not boring anyone and certainly mean not to have hijacked this thread.

I am just an overly excitable model engine guy... HA HA HA!

Andrew

Name:	30191_10400.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	19067  
Old 10-12-2002, 07:51 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by ajcoholic
I also got into casting aluminum (made my own foundry furnace, propane burner and such) and last winter designed and made my first "own design" engine, a .65 ignition meant to be similar to late 40's era engines. Its the "AJC 65 Skyburner". Runs a 13-6 or 14-5 prop at 7000 rpm. ANdrew
See, I KNEW you wuz da MAN!
Old 10-12-2002, 08:09 PM
ajcoholic

Heck, I'm just having fun, thats all!

AJC
Old 10-12-2002, 10:01 PM
BMatthews

AJ, I doubt anyone could accuse you of hijacking this thread. It started off with a home made engine after all.

Speaking of which I'm surprised that Tanzanos hasn't come back here to post more about the radial that started all this. I DID get a personal thanks from him for my original answer though so I know he's reading this...(it's a gear coupled separate crankcase type as it turns out) Perhaps he's just taking his time with a really great post with all the sordid little details for us engine lovers and machinist's........ Come on back and play tanzanos. Perhaps some more pictures too.

And that big sparkie .60 looks a LOT like an older engine that I can't quite name. It was an obsure one though. It's the exhaust stack location that does it.

Although I have yet to do my first engine I was thinking of a long throw 2 stroke that turns larger props at reduced rpms much like a 4 stroke. I'm looking at using the bore and stroke somewhere between normal 2 stroke practice and basic sport diesel engine practice. Most of the sport diesels use a long stroke compared to the glow counterparts from what I've seen. I thought it would make a good sport RC engine for flying biplanes and other scale performance types as opposed to the "usual" model that has the power to weight of an F15.....

Too many hobbies and having to waste 8 hours a day sleeping just don't mix........
Old 10-12-2002, 11:14 PM
ajcoholic

BM,
Yes, I have often thought about what I could do if I didnt have to sleep 1/3 of my time away! What a waste!!

The engine you are probably referring to is the Edco Sky Devil, the most popular sparker thathad the rear bypass, twin front exhausts. BUT, there were over 20 engines from that period that had the same layout, just that they were/are kinda' obscure and the Skydevil is pretty well known. I love that "look" and actually designed a rear drum induction diesel last winter after I did the AJC, and built two of them in less than two weeks. That included casting, designing the engine and building them! I do work for a living, by the way, but spent every minute I had on them while I wasnt working. Will attach a picture below...

I thought the 5 cylinder would have to be geared, but it is a nice compact design. Would love to hear more about it... Please?! Are you still there Tanzanos??

Andrew

Name:	30222_10400.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	19068  
Old 10-12-2002, 11:23 PM
ajcoholic

Default Back to 1/2A's again...

Fellows,

Here is actually the first engine I built that ran (the deezil was the first one that I did all parts including the cylider/piston) that uses a cox cylinder and piston.

It is also a Roger Scroeder design, published as a construction article in Strictly I.C. magazine. Called the "simple single" it is a bar stock rear disk induction .049. Nice little engine, runs very well. Easy to make on a small lathe.

Andrew

Name:	30223_10400.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	19069  
Old 10-13-2002, 12:02 AM
mynameisAARON

Very nice fellas, do you think a norvel like twin could be done ?
Maybe with a ball bearing supported crank...that would be too cool

please keep posting,I'm all about the details...
Aaron
Old 10-13-2002, 01:18 AM
ajcoholic

Aaron,
Sure it can be done, just takes some figuring and trial and error!

I like the Cox cylinders for their cheapness (lots of used engines around for next to nothing), the fact they screw in (I make my own taps for the different cylinder base threads) which makes them easy to install, and also the bypass is in the cylinder, one less thing to machine rather than a separate liner/cylinder.

Andrew
Old 10-13-2002, 04:13 AM
BMatthews

Aaron, a lot of years ago there was an article about using 2 baby bees geared together using some steel gears and a mount with a prop drive shaft and rear mount for the engines. If you've got any amount of metal work experience there's no reason why you couldn't duplicate that design using the Norvels or whatever. It would involve a horizontal H shaped mount to hold the 2 engines and then the prop shaft and bearings would be centered in the web of the H carrier. If it was me I'd use a larger center gear to allow the use of a larger prop for moving more air. Also you may have to find pusher props or carve your own as the prop would be turning in reverse. Another advantage of the Cox reed engines is that you can use them for this sort of project and they don't care which direction they turn in. Or I suppose you could turn the engines around so the gears are at the back of the mount. that way you can use regular props.

Wow, this sure is turning into a serious engine thread..... :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2002, 10:16 AM
tanzanos

Ok Guys!
I still have not completed the mufflers. So I PROMISE TO POST pictures of it running complete with mufflers. Give me some time. Incidentally It is THROTTLED and responds acceptably.
It took me 3 months to design and build. Anyone have any ideas on how I can post a small movie of it running?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:34 AM
mynameisAARON

Yes, I remember afew years back there was a guy sell plans for the " Twin Bee" 9.95...I emailed him asking about what type of gears would be needed, but i think he thought i was trying to steal his idea or something
Lately, I think i have located a source for belts and gears for my 3:1 reduction .061 project ( I WILL hover!)
Too many ideas, not enough time.
Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.