Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Some folks sho' is smart!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Some folks sho' is smart!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some folks sho' is smart!

I just got my new Flying Models mag with the beautiful Cox reedie powered Texaco scale model on the cover and went straight to it's construction article by Van Hereford. A great article, plans & pictures. Good thing 'ol Van hasn't entered the Design Contest....methinks he'd win every time!

I was looking at the closeup pic of the engine and noticed a bit of wire twisted around the cyl. and I says to myself: "Hmmmm, wonder whut that's for." After pondering the matter a bit, I'm thinking it's there to close off the bottom of the 2 exhaust slits. I'm guessing it either changes the timing enough to allow smoother running with big wood (or plastic) up front and/or reduces fuel consumption. Whatcha'll think? Them cajuns is slick, eh?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47142.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	292217  
Old 06-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Some folks sho' is smart!

Maybe it's to cut down on the power a bit.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

How 'bout the slow flyer prop. That's what it apears to be anyway.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

and I says to myself: "Hmmmm, wonder whut that's for."
Maybe it's to attach a fishin' line so's he can use that COX as a sinker!![>:]

Hmmmm, don't think it would impact the timing as much as acting like an exhaust restrictor throttle.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think COX engines have too much exhaust port area as it is. The wire could just be there to get people to wonder why.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Big Al-RCU

If that was at our field it would probably be a field fix for a cracked cylinder.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wire you guys wondering about it? It exhausts me just looking at it.

J.M
Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I'd say he's trying to choke it down to the point the blades don't fling off...[X(]
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 AM
ClemenTang

My guess is it prevents the intake escaping thru it at TDC when the bottom of the piston clears it.

Clement
Old 07-01-2005, 09:04 AM
matchlessaero

I'm thinkin it was put there to confound all the half-A gurus

The other thing I noticed in that magazine is the great article by DickeyBird on CNC router cutting...... Reading it just about made me want to go out and order some stepper motors.... DB did a good job of explaining a difficult subject (as always)
Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He´s taking courage to make a SPI cylinder using a Saw

Claudio
Old 07-01-2005, 10:52 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Does DB's CNC router article cover how to fix Shade Shelters? (Inside SMALL joke from LR 2005)

Looking forward to getting my FM issue..... not yet arrived in the mail.

Av8rsodt
Old 07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, when you buy a Cox engine you also get a wire tie with it. Ain't I right?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Andrew

Well aside from the fishin' sinker (which I couldn't get DB to bite on), since Texaco is a duration event, Van is looking for the most time per ounce of fuel.

I don't see how timing will be affected -- this is controlled by the internal height of the bypass flutes and position of the top exhaust slit. Blocking the lower slit will stop SPI -- it seems to be generally accepted that SPI will help top end performance and without it, the upper end should be down some. Secondly, COX reedies respond to exhaust throttling pretty well and reducing effective exhaust port area is how it is managed -- ie, throttle sleeves.

There are a couple of ways we can slow the engines - throttle sleeves and/or running a rich 4 cycle. But sleeves are disallowed -- the wire may be bendin' the rules a tad. Running rich defeats the duration needs; so stop SPI, reduce exhaust port area and tune for maximum RPM by leaning the needle and add a pretty good chunk of wood -- hopefully the combination will extend the run time.

That's ma story and Ah'm stickin' toit (I still think it's for a fishin' sinker)
Old 07-02-2005, 06:33 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Brian my CNC machine won't make me a new tent pole....but after a show I saw on the History Channel where retired machinist dude EDM milled himself some dies for slot machine tokens and hit Vegas for some big bucks, maybe I could mill myself out a big ol' bag of quarters and go buy a new pole!

Andrew, actually I found out that the wire on the Texaco engine was put there to reduce the power all the way down to the miniscule amount churned out by your mighty Norvels pulling a manly Cox sized prop. Yep, it's a special international Texaco event where Norvels are used by our friends from eastern Europe. They got tired of gettin' whupped by a simple lil' ol' antique American engine so they whined & complained until the P.C. poe-leece changed the rules to make it a little closer contest. No little girlie-mon sized wood allowed!

Jeremy, they really surprised me putting that article in this month's issue. No galley proof sent for approval like they usually do, no email, no nothing, just boom there it was! I sent it in way back last year sometime and had almost given up on seeing it published. Hope they haven't lost my address when payment time comes around!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Andrew

Andrew, actually I found out that the wire on the Texaco engine was put there to reduce the power all the way down to the miniscule amount churned out by your mighty Norvels pulling a manly Cox sized prop.
Who would have thought -- so it was for power reduction and not necessarily fuel consumption. He had to add the wire to compete? I believe in that case, if I were flying a NORVEL, I would be lookin' around for one of those COX.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it the August issue?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Is it the August issue?
Yessir
Old 07-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

they really surprised me putting that article in this month's issue. No galley proof sent for approval like they usually do, no email, no nothing, just boom there it was! I sent it in way back last year sometime and had almost given up on seeing it published. Hope they haven't lost my address when payment time comes around!
Looks like your credibility at FM has hit the top. They now have sufficient confidence in your work to just run it as recieved. Congratulations, you have 'arrived' as a modeling journalist. BTW, Good Job! Even I, a retro techno Luddite, was able to understand it. Your communication skills are excellent.
I think Andrew may have the right of it about the wire. I noted it in the article but it had passed out of my conciousness by the time I finished reading the text. 'Ol' Van's' building skills can sure PO a 10 thumbed old pharte like myself. 14 oz. my *****![>:]
Gotta try one of those APC Slowflyer props on a Texaco or a Dickeybird 'John Deere'----after I get a new face shield for my old Bell Star and figure out where to lay my hands on a flak jacket.
Aside to Japanman: You're having waaaay too much pun! Tom