Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

PAW Diesel for Herr Cloud Ranger?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

PAW Diesel for Herr Cloud Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:18 AM
N925WB
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAW Diesel for Herr Cloud Ranger?

I'm considering a Herr Cloud Ranger with ailerons for just putting around the pattern, and was wondering if a PAW diesel would be a suitable engine choice. I'm trying to avoid the screaming Cox and Norvel engines, and I hear the PAW engines are quite civilized.

I'd like to have enough power for graceful aerobatics, yet be able to throttle back to idle for long approaches to touch and go's without fear of the engine quitting on me.

Anybody with experience or advice about the PAW diesels or Herr Cloud Ranger, please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
-Wayne

Cloud Ranger: [link=http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsV4.html?L+Sig+xaev0411+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02M_ 2dHERRECloudR_01Search_02Index_01]Specs Here[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52060.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	302528  
Old 07-28-2005, 01:09 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PAW Diesel for Herr Cloud Ranger?

Hi Wayne, I use a PAW 0.9 R/C and its a great little engine. Pretty quiet and very user friendly. I use it on C/L with the throttle wired open as well as a r/c planes. Throttles very well and doesn't seem to use too much fuel, compared to some of my glow engines. A little on the heavy side, but not too bad. Heres the link to the PAW site if you haven't been there yet.
http://www.eifflaender.com/ Theres a lot of c*a* talked about diesels, fresh fuel and some common sense you won't have any problems...............John
Old 07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
N925WB

John,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen the PAW website, just Eric Clutton's site here in the US. (He's our "Dr. Diesel"). I like the overall specs that the PAW site provides. As for fresh fuel, I shouldn't have any problem obtaining that as Dr. Diesel lives about an hour away and seems to carry everything one would need for these engines.

From looking at the PAW website, it seems that the .049 and .060 are exactly the same weight (90 grams or 3.17 oz), and have the same mounting dimensions. The only difference appears to be the BHP and prop size. The .049 has a BHP of .13 and swings a 7x4 prop, while the .060 has a BHP of .14 and can swing up to an 8x4 prop.

The price on these two engines is something else to look into. Dr. Diesel doesn't have prices up on his website, and the PAW website given in the last post shows prices in English Pounds. Using an online currency converter, both the .049 and .060 are about $110.

With no increase in weight or cost, but with the option to swing a larger prop for lower idle and smoother power, I think I'd go with the .060. I'll have to contact Eric Clutton to find out his prices on these engines and get his opinion regarding using them in the Cloud Ranger.

If anyone else has any experience with the PAW diesels or the Herr Cloud Ranger, please post it here!

Thanks again,

-Wayne

Name:	Us55282.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	302614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15407.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	302615  
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
SGC

Wayne,
There is also Carlsons :- http://www.carlsonengineimports.net for PAW in the US.
Stewart
Old 07-28-2005, 03:24 PM
ProBroJoe

Oh, I bet that would make a real nice combination - keep us posted!

-Joe
Old 07-28-2005, 04:52 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Wayne,

Another Aussie John dieselite here! I don't know the Cloud Ranger at all but I do have experience with PAW diesels, ranging from the .55cc up to the .35cu. The .049 (80 they call it) and .06 (1cc) are both really pleasant engines to use and throttle quite well. They need to be run in well, compared to modern ABC glow engines, but follow the PAW supplied instructions and you won't go too far wrong.

If you need a bit more go the .09 will turn 8 to 9" props without fuss. I use a PAW .15 in a 60" Hearn Sportster (50's trainer) with a 10*4 prop and it's over-powered. If I wanted to use a glow in that model it would probably be something like an OS LA25, or Enya .19 for the same sort of performance.

Generally diesels are brilliant for pulling above their weight in slower flying models where a bigger slower-turning prop suits the application.

If this is your first diesel it's probably best to try and get some help from an experienced diesel bloke to get you started. Really though, they aren't all that hard, just a bit different from glow engines. Enjoy!

John
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
N925WB

Great link, Stewart. I had no idea about Carlson Engine Imports!

Well, looking at the Carlson site, both the .049 and .060 R/C are only $77 a piece! That's alot better than $110!!!

My thinking regarding the PAW diesel and Cloud Ranger combination is similar to going from a .40 two-stroke to a .52 four stroke. You lose RPM, but gain torque and prop size. Less speed, but with better prop braking and smoother idle.

Let me know if I'm wrong!

-Wayne
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM
N925WB

John,

Thanks for the additional input! I'm starting to get really stoked about my idea!

I'm thinking about holding off until one of our local swap meets to pick up the diesel so I can talk to Dr. Diesel for more information about running and what-not. I might not be able to wait that long, though!

Everybody please keep posting your thoughts about this combination!

-Wayne
Old 07-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

I think you would be pleased with your choices. You're very much spot-on with your evaluation of the characteristics of the chosen model using a small PAW. Get the full 1cc version. They are exactly the same engine except for liner and piston size IIRC and while statistically there seems to be little difference in output it is quite noticeable when actually pulling a model about.
I'm currently flying an own-design high wing sport model of @ 240 sq." in a 42" WS with an AUW of almost exactly a pound with the PAW .55 (.03CID) in the nose turning a 6x4 MA prop. For the type of flying I enjoy (just slowly puttering about in a scale-like manner) I have to pull the LH stick back to @ 50% or a bit less.
Be aware that not all PAW RC diesels are delivered with the spraybar oriented properly to achieve good idling or accelleration characteristics. At WOT the two holes in the spraybar should face down toward the crankshaft for one and the other forward in the direction of travel. Note: they are NOT at exactly 90 degrees apart so I err by pointing the bottom one straight down the gullet of the carb and the other pointing generally forward. But getting close seems to work as well as getting it perfect. I've seen that one adjustment turn a crabby, cranky, ill-handling PAW into a pu$$ycat more than once. The transformation can be quite amazing in some engines yet I've seen a few that do well no matter the spraybar orientation it seemed.[:-] Proving that generalizing about model engines and small diesels in particular is an exercise for the brave or foolhardy.
FWIW, Carlsons' prices are often a bit more palatable than those Eric charges, but Erics' service is second to none. So you "pays your money and you takes your choice".
FWIW, it would make the learning curve with a diesel far more painless if you could find a used one that is already well broken-in for your first one. It is the new engine that often discourages the diesel novice. Learning new operating techniques and responses can be a sensory overload even without the difficulties often associated with initial crank-up and the lengthy (often a matter of several hours of run time) run-in time of a new diesel. That can be a PIA for even experienced 'dieselholics' depending on the individual engine. So I do strongly suggest buying a good used engine. It would make the experience far more fun IMO. HTH, Tom
Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 PM
N925WB

Tom,

Thanks for the advice. I was definitely leaning towards the .060 R/C simply because it's the same weight for the same cost, but with more power. Experience tells me that I can always just throttle back.

I'll look for a good used engine, but will likely have to pick up a new one from Eric. He's in Tullahoma, which is only an hour away from me, so I'll probably just drive down there and pick one up from him. I also plan on buying his diesel book and fuel to make my life easier.

One question: Do I need to run a metal fuel tank in the airplane? I've read that the diesel fuel becomes contaminated by plastic tanks, and was wondering if this was significant enough to be concerned about it.

Also, please post a picture of your plane if you get a chance. It's always nice to see other people's work!

-Wayne
Old 07-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

ORIGINAL: N925WB
<I'll look for a good used engine, but will likely have to pick up a new one from Eric. He's in Tullahoma, which is only an hour away from me, so I'll probably just drive down there and pick one up from him. I also plan on buying his diesel book and fuel to make my life easier.>

You might enquire if he has a used engine. I have bought a used Mills from him in the past. Get the book and the fuel by all means.

<One question: Do I need to run a metal fuel tank in the airplane? I've read that the diesel fuel becomes contaminated by plastic tanks, and was wondering if this was significant enough to be concerned about it.>

Sullivan plastic tanks are OK as fuel tanks so long as you use the stopper and pick-up lines for gas/diesel in place of the items that come with the tank which are for glow use only. Hayes tanks don't need a special stopper as do the Sullivan product but you may need to use different fuel line from what is included. Get some fuel line from Eric when you pick up the other items or better yet buy the special metal tank he sells specifically for diesel useage. Also buy one of the fueling bottles he sells, they are great!
What you heard about plastic being unsuitable for diesel was undoubtedly to the effect that plastic cannot be used for long-term storage. You must use a tight sealing metal or glass container because plastic, being a petro-chemical, allows the lighter ether to migrate, causing the fuel to become incapable of initiating and/or supporting combustion. Low ether content will damage your engine even before it will no longer run because it requires more compression to run well. The added mechanical loads on components stress them too highly causing early wear or failure. It is one of those insidious things that creeps up on you and you will have done harm to your engine before it dawns on you that you are having to use more compression each time you go out to fly. For that reason too don't leave fuel in the fueling bottle I suggested you buy from Eric. It is for ease of fueling only and you should decant any remaining fuel back into your metal bulk storage container as soon as you no longer need it. I forgot that one year and by the time I dug out my flightline gear the next Spring the diesel I had left in the fueling bottle had became a thick 'sludge', all the ether and some of the kerosene having migrated away during storage, leaving mostly castor and the less volatile elements of the kerosene behind.
Go to the 'Everything Diesel' board on this site and search for the thread on making a proper diesel fuel storage container that will basically keep it good forever. It consists primarily of two pieces of brass tubing soldered into the cap of your metal storage container. One has tubing to reach down into the fuel and the other is primatrily a vent.. A short piece of tight fitting tubing from one tube to the other seals the two tubes on the outside to prevent ether loss when not in use. By using this you never have to even remove the cap between the time you fill it and must refill it. Even removing the cap from a jug of diesel causes a small but significant loss of effectiveness of the fuel each time you do it. For that reason too never use pliers on the cap of your storage containers. They will distort it and cause leakage. Make several turns of Teflon plumbers tape around the male threads of the container and tighten the cap securely by hand only.>

<Also, please post a picture of your plane if you get a chance. It's always nice to see other people's work!>

Sorry but my photo program is dead in the water at the moment. I'll get it fixed---eventually.

There---now you know everything I do about diesels. Tom
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
N925WB

Tom,

Again, thank you for the info! That was alot to read!

I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of diesels. This is great!!! [&:]

I'll be getting in touch with Eric shortly to find out about getting the .060. I'll likely do a brief build thread documenting the combination, including comments on the flight performance.

I'll let everyone here share in the experience when it happens!!!

-Wayne
Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne,
Diesels are a delight.
Peter
Old 07-31-2005, 08:06 AM
gary-meyers

I have a Paw .049 and Webra .049 diesel and have made Diesel heads for OS 40's

Diesels run Great for the type flying you described. They generally don't turn the high
rpms and swing slightly larger props. Heavier props provide a flywheel effect which diesels seem to love. They are messy though - they operate at a lower temperature and there is more oily residue since less oil is burned in combustion.

Fuel is a problem -- no one seems to sell it and finding quality ingredients to mix your own is difficult. Eric Cluton and Davis Diesel sell it but the last time I checked the shipping cost was rediculous due to the Hazmat Charge. I haven't checked recently though. If I had a reasonably priced and reliable source of fuel or ingredients I'd fly diesels more.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 AM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

Just for info - I ordered a .09 RC Paw from Carlsons three weeks ago via the site and have never heard a word. My card was not charged and they have not answered my email.

I bought a .19 from Eric - sent a check last Monday and got the motor last Saturday. His prices are a little higher - but I am not sure if there is anyone at home at Carlsons.

Pat Bunn
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get anywhere with carlson's you really have to call him on the telephone. He will call you back if you get the machine, and you get to talk about engines! He has a friend do the web thing, Mr. Carlson prefers to deal over the phone the way he's done for so long..

Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 PM
N925WB

I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't stopped thinking about the diesel thing. I ordered a Cloud Ranger kit from my LHS, and when that comes in, I'll get to work on construction. I'm holding off on getting an engine until the next swap meet. That way I can have a long chat with Eric Clutton about fuels, tanks, etc. Also, I'll be able to get everything in one shot that way.

I'll post some more when everything is in order, and hopefully show some construction pics and eventually some flying pics!!!

-Wayne
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
FrancisPerson

Wayne,

Please make a can like the one in the picture and use a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads.

Francis

Name:	Xv63967.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	307621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84468.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	307622  
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Francis, I love the Stagger Bee--got anymore pics? Is that a diesel conversion on the nose?

Jim
Old 08-10-2005, 08:55 PM
FrancisPerson

Yes!

Name:	Zx72660.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	308565   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45883.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	308566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90050.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	308567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39119.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	308568  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:10 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

That is a gorgeous Stagger Bee... can I have it? Seriously, I have looked all over for one of those and can't find one. I even tried calling Clancy himself to see if I could even get a copy of the plans but no answer. It looks like Hobby People bought him out and destroyed his product line![&o]

Brian
Old 08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wayne, looks like I diverted your thread a bit--sorry--couldn't resist that cute Staggerbee! Having Eric set you up in person is a great idea for your first diesel. My .06 got its spraybar out of adjustment and was a headache until Eric fixed it. I really like that engine now. If it becomes hard to start, just get some John Deere starter fluid to restore the ether.

Francis, I'm obviously not the only one interested in your great little Stagger Bee--would you mind starting a thread on it? I'm sure more people will tune in.

Looks like you ought to have a gallery for those great pics!

Beautiful photos--thanks,

Jim
Old 08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
N925WB

Jim,

I don't mind the thread getting off the original topic. I'm in waiting right now. I don't suspect to get my hands on an engine for quite some time, and I (as much as everyone else) really enjoy seeing the pics of others' work. The whole diesel thing is new to me, and the more input this thread gets, whether directly related to the Cloud Range/.o61 or not, is great!

I have noticed that some Clancy planes are getting hard to find. I've been itching for his Stits Sky Baby, but have had a hard time getting good info on the kit. I have found the plans, and maybe a kit, but without doing more digging, I'm not comfortable making an order.

Francis,

Feel free to post as many pics of all of your diesel planes in this thread as you'd like. We'd all love to see them! Also, I'll keep your fuel can in mind when it comes time to get myself "dieselized"!

-Wayne
Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM
gary-meyers

Is that staggerbee a still available kit or arf?? and someone makes a clancy like airplane called the slowpoke was that originally his?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:03 PM
N925WB

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the Stagger Bee is "temporarily discontinued". Check out this link to Global Hobby's website: http://www.globalhobby.com/public/products/ackit01.asp

Unfortunately, the Stagger Bee is not listed on the Tower website, or on the Hobby People website. Unless the LHS has one on the shelves, I think they'll be pretty hard to find for a while. [&o]

-Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.