Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Battery switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery switch

My herr extra is tail heavy,, I'm thinking about using a 2nd battery instead of dead weight... any of you guys know if there's a switch available to go back and forth from one battery to another??..havent weighed it at the post office yet, but had to go with my full sized Rx to add on a voltwatch in the cockpit..feels a tad heavy but I will check before I try and fly it....thanks.....Rog
Old 08-28-2005, 04:17 PM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery switch

FR: Just add one additional battery to your second pack and drop the voltage back with a diode.

HTH - Steve B.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
flyinrog

I would need more info than that Steve, and I would prefer a switch so I could charge then individually....thanks..Rog
Old 08-28-2005, 05:39 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He means to make it a five cell pack instead of four and drop the voltage with a diode in one of the wires so the sillicone junction drop brings the voltage back to closer to the four cell level. Most radios and servos now can work just fine from five cell packs (6v) so the diode is probably not needed.. It will make the servos more responsive since the motors can spin faster..

I think the big scale guys use multiple packs sometimes, maybe they know better over there..
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the packs are to be used simultaneously, then they need to be of identical capacity. They would each need their own switch harness, with the individual charge jacks . Then all you need to do is insert a Y harness into each battery output lead and run the outgoing end of the Y harness into your RX. A better option is to just install a bigger engine.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need more weight in batteries than you would in lead[:'(] because the batteries are behind the firewall and the lead can be put on the cheeks. If you really don't want to use any lead, either use a larger battery instead of 2 or as CP suggested go with a bigger engine.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 PM
flyinrog

Must need the bigger (.15 norvel) engine as it wouldnt fly with the .074,,not a good day today..it took forever to get the .074 running and it sounded ok but didnt feel like it had enough power for the extra...it wouldnt take off so a guy hand launched it for me,,well, it started out ok but acted tail heavy and mushy,,never did get up any speed as the engine died, but then it just dove in nose first with no control at all..it balanced perfectly ,,It was the engine that was in my scooter and it flew fine in it?,,guess I'll remove the battery and add the .15 and try again...then I couldnt get my Cox Fairchild to run and finally did but it flew off and went out of control too...think I'll fix my CP reedy racer and just stick with it.,I thought if I could fly it I could fly anything, oh and finish up my 2 DNU's,...I should put the scooter back together and fly it!!!...Rog
Old 09-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I freind of mine found that his didn't quite have enough power with an .074, so he's switching to a .15.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:44 AM
flyinrog

Oh btw Bipe the .074 will be going into a mini bipe stick of yours ,I am making 2 of them also one for the same guy I'm making the DNU for,, but that will be after the Oct funfly I just got the warboar back together last night!!....Rog