Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cylinder Head Darkening

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cylinder Head Darkening

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 PM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Darkening

Hey folks,

One of my favorite engines has been underperforming for the past few weeks so I popped it open tonight. The cylinder head is taking on a darkish hue that can't be rubbed off, the underside of of the glow head is showing similar discoloration and the coil is slightly grey. Can't recall if this means that I'm running it too lean or too rich. Thoughts?

eroc
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 AM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Cylinder Head Darkening

You are definitely running quite rich and the darkness is the castor , or what ever kind of oil , burned to the top of the cylinder head. When my OS .40 LA had the same crap on it I cleaned it off with soapy water and a nylon scrubby pad. Then I polished the head with a dremel and the polishing wheel. It came out very nice.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: eroc144

Hey folks,

One of my favorite engines has been underperforming for the past few weeks so I popped it open tonight. The cylinder head is taking on a darkish hue that can't be rubbed off, the underside of of the glow head is showing similar discoloration and the coil is slightly grey. Can't recall if this means that I'm running it too lean or too rich. Thoughts?

eroc
Could mean any one (or none) of several things. It would help to know what engine we are examaining.

jess
Old 10-31-2005, 08:06 PM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Norvel .074 Big Mig R/C. About a year old.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

IMO, every time I have this type of problem, it turns out to be the glow head. Try changing to a fresh one and see if the magic returns.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 PM
RC-Captain

Could mean any one (or none) of several things. It would help to know what engine we are examaining.
I guess you mean ABC, ABN or etc., well if yes don't forget to get the fuel type and how much castor and nitro content is in it.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
jessiej

The Norvel is neither ABC or ABN. It has a ceramic liner.

I wouldn't worry about any discoloration of the head, but if the coils of the plug are discolored, I would certainly replace the plug. I would stay with the Norvel plug rather than a conversion head and conventional plug.

If the engine has run well for a year I would think your fuel was fine, and that you had not been running overly rich or lean.

I can understand the Norvel .074 being one of your favorites. I have a couple of them. Great little engines!

jess